Jun 21 2013
By: JuggaloWayniaK First Son 26 posts

Customer service needs training

9 replies 267 views Edited Jun 21, 2013
Every time something happens to my system, customer service always tells me to reformat my hard drive. Why? Surely they know what this causes. They had me reformat when I couldn't get my trophies to sync, they tried to have me reformat when my PS3 had a problem loading games and Blu-Ray movies, and now they had me reformat because of this 4.45 update. I have a 1Tb HDD with 140+ games, game saves, photos and music. Now, not only is my PS3 a worthless piece of crap, but IF they do fix it, now I have redownload for the 3rd time, all thanx to Sony's hastiness to reformat eveyone's hard drives.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (267 Views)
PlayStation MVP
15926 posts

Re: Customer service needs training

Jun 21, 2013

You knew the outcome of reformatting after doing it the first time. You chose to do it again each time afterward. How is that Supports fault?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (261 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4491 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Hey ne1, google "BOFH" if you don't already know about it - third item on the results list (at least for me).  

It will explain why Support gives the advice it does.

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
 photo Signature2.png

MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (251 Views)
First Son
26 posts

Jun 21, 2013
I knew what reformatting my HDD would do, yes. However, I spoke to CS the morning of the 19th, before I knew what was going on. CS convinced me that my HDD was corrupted and that reformatting was the only way to fix the problem. Now, my PS3 is broke AND I lost everything. They should ease up on telling people to reformat when they don't know what's happening. Instead, they should tell people the benefit of waiting a few days before going to such extreme measures.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (240 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Jun 21, 2013
BTW, you don't have good reading comprehension, obviously. This is only the 2nd time I reformatted. You should've paid more attention in school buddy.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (236 Views)
PlayStation MVP
12196 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 21, 2013

It wouldn't have mattered how many times you reformatted if you had backed up your PS3 hard disk to a USB storage device, the way that the PS3 System manual recommended since day one. Honestly, who stores hundreds of gigabytes of files on a hard disk drive, with no backup, and doesn't expect to lose it, even after they have twice?  I have a friend that dropped out in the 8th grade that has more sense than that. A hard disk drive can fail at any time. If you don't have a recent backup, then you already demonstrated that you consider the data to be replaceable.  Customer support is just who you are blaming it on now.  It was your decision to not take basic steps to safeguard your data. 

Customer support is just a day job, and a low-paying one at that.  No consumer product call center pays enough to hire and retain technical experts in anything. We aren't paying for maintenance and support contracts for these game consoles.  They are just reading out of a knowledge base, probably the same one that you could have read on this web site.  They recommend restoring the PS3 system for the same reason that computer help desks recommend rebooting your PC. Because it often works.  Restoring the PS3 System will fix any software problem with the PS3 itself.  It may not achieve your original purpose, but if it doesn't make your PS3 usable again, then it needed to be sent in for service anyway.  What happens to your save data is your responsibility.  Your time isn't worth anything to Sony, so if you want to download everything you ever purchased in the Playstation Store to your PS3 before your resume playing, that is your business.  You don't have to do that.  You could just download the games you are playing now, synch your trophy collection, and get on with your life.  You can download the rest when you want to use it, if you ever actually do.   

Restoring your PS3 didn't fix your problem yet, but it should in a week or so. That is when the fixed System 4.45 is scheduled to be available on playstation.com. Normally waiting a few days makes no difference, so it would make no sense for customer support to do that; and it certainly would not satisfy typically impatient gamers. 

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (211 Views)
First Son
26 posts

Jun 22, 2013
No need to take it personally, Mr. Playstation MVP. Did I blame CS for breaking my PS3? No. Did I say I have to download everything before I can play? No. Am I ranting and raving because I can't watch Netflix, play games, or anything else? Yes. It's Sony's fault my PS3 is a brick, and as a consumer, I have the right to be frustrated. So quit acting like you know me or my business. I only blame CS for compounding the problem due to the inability to accept responibility (at the time). They had actually convinced me I was the only one with the issue and I had corrupted my HDD, hence the need for extra training.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (146 Views)
Splicer
78 posts

Jun 22, 2013
trust me sir, you calls us remember? and we are advising you to format your precious HDD if you want to have it fixs.

1TB WD day1 PS3 ($599) on fw 3.55 PSN works perfectly
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (126 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Jun 26, 2013
^ Illiterate **bleep**. Lol
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (88 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1391 posts

Jun 26, 2013

gkpama00 wrote:

It wouldn't have mattered how many times you reformatted if you had backed up your PS3 hard disk to a USB storage device, the way that the PS3 System manual recommended since day one. Honestly, who stores hundreds of gigabytes of files on a hard disk drive, with no backup, and doesn't expect to lose it, even after they have twice?  I have a friend that dropped out in the 8th grade that has more sense than that. A hard disk drive can fail at any time. If you don't have a recent backup, then you already demonstrated that you consider the data to be replaceable.  Customer support is just who you are blaming it on now.  It was your decision to not take basic steps to safeguard your data. 

Customer support is just a day job, and a low-paying one at that.  No consumer product call center pays enough to hire and retain technical experts in anything. We aren't paying for maintenance and support contracts for these game consoles.  They are just reading out of a knowledge base, probably the same one that you could have read on this web site.  They recommend restoring the PS3 system for the same reason that computer help desks recommend rebooting your PC. Because it often works.  Restoring the PS3 System will fix any software problem with the PS3 itself.  It may not achieve your original purpose, but if it doesn't make your PS3 usable again, then it needed to be sent in for service anyway.  What happens to your save data is your responsibility.  Your time isn't worth anything to Sony, so if you want to download everything you ever purchased in the Playstation Store to your PS3 before your resume playing, that is your business.  You don't have to do that.  You could just download the games you are playing now, synch your trophy collection, and get on with your life.  You can download the rest when you want to use it, if you ever actually do.   

Restoring your PS3 didn't fix your problem yet, but it should in a week or so. That is when the fixed System 4.45 is scheduled to be available on playstation.com. Normally waiting a few days makes no difference, so it would make no sense for customer support to do that; and it certainly would not satisfy typically impatient gamers. 

if the backup system sony put in place worked 100% of the time I would consider wasting 18+ hours to run a full backup, but since it has failed on 5 seperate occasions for me across 3 different consoles Ill tell you that your MVP opinion is **bleep**.

As for the OP he is right, the customer service department doesnt have a clue, 90% of the time they are reading word for word from the out of date database of error codes that sony has on here and for the most part they are wrong.  you need a customer support company with people who understand the product not just a bunch of people who will work for cheap and answer phones for a living

TriangleOffense Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (84 Views)