Mar 30 2012
By: Killgore_Emery Splicer 87 posts

Corrupted data/PS3 download times

1 replies 1048 views Edited Mar 30, 2012

I just bought PSN+ for the first time, I decided to download Sly Cooper. The first time I tried downloading, I attempted doing it over my wireless internet. It was estimated to take about 700 minutes, so I was like no way. I then decided to hook my PS3 directly to my modem, through an ethernet wire. That dropped it down to about 5 hours, I waited it out. After it got done downloading, it began to install (about 30 minutes) and at the end of installation it told me there was an error and the data was corrupted. So I reset my PS3, only for it to start up and do a wipe to delete the corruption (about 30 more minutes). So then I decided to let it go again, directly connected to the modem still. This time within 40 minutes of the download it stopped and said an error occured, and it was corrupt. So I was a little annoyed because I had to strip my family from internet nearly all day, all for not. Lastly, I turned my wireless back on and tried to download it again. This time it was estimated to take over 800 minutes. I was about to go to bed, so I said what the heck. Periodically checking on it, it seemed like it was going well for a while. Then I woke up this morning to find that, yep, you guessed it, problem with the download, data corrupt.

Extremely frustrating as I'm new to PS+, and I've downloaded other files from the store perfectly fine.

My questions are: What can be wrong and how can I fix it with the data corrupt stuff? Also, is there ANY way I can make my download speeds faster?

I can assure you it is NOT my internet connection.. My xbox runs and downloads at a fast rate, as well as all of my computers. Even with the Xbox, and all computers connected, they all still run very well when downloading large things. Even if it was my internet, I don't think my internet is 800+ minutes bad. I don't believe it's the PS3 because this model I have is fairly new, and my previous PS3 had the same problem downloading things (they just rarely went corrupt). Not to mention my current PS3 has downloaded several large things before perfectly fine.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 2 (1,048 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13173 posts

Re: Corrupted data/PS3 download times

Mar 31, 2012

The probability of an error occurring during a file download is directly proportional to the amount of time that it takes to download something. The longer it takes, the more likely it is to be corrupt.  The protocol that PSN uses for downloads is not error-correcting.  PSN assumes that network errors are rare.  The PS3 requires broadband Internet connectivity, and 700 minutes is much longer than it should take for the Sly Cooper HD game to download via broadband.  Something is wrong with your network setup if your downloads are taking that long. The fact that other devices don't show the same problems is irrelevant, because they are not doing the same things.  You may be running into a problem with Quality of Service (QoS) controls on your ISP network, which prioritize some kinds of traffic over others; in order to allow time sensitive applications like video streaming to work on networks that don't have much bandwidth. The PSN protocols, which are non-standard, may be getting prioritized too low on the network.  It could also be a cabling issue.  Have you tried using a different Ethernet cable, or wireless?

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 2 (1,048 Views)
0 Likes