Oct 03 2009
By: MrKat First Son 23 posts

Coincidence

9 replies 17 views Edited Oct 3, 2009

Sony seems to be banking on this all being a coincidence that one day everything was working and the next in a event, not related to the firmware which also came out that day, a large number of playstations lost functionality. Not only that they admitted to there being problems with the firmware quickly releasing 3.01. After that they are denying that the firmware caused problems. In order for something to be coincidence it can't be traced to a central event. It was not coincidence that caused an immediate crash of a number of systems because everyone of those owners can trace the problem back to firmware 3.00-3.01, where before they had perfectly operating systems.

Money is the issue here. Sony's new statement says they are doing nothing for these people except offering to replace the drives. If even 1% of owners have a problem that's 246000 people at $150 bucks a pop. I'm not saying this is a scam for their revenue, they just don't want to fit the bill or accept fault for an already collapsing media division that is banking everything on PS3 Slim. It seems to me that a batch of Bluray players they installed aren't compatible with the new firmware so they are trying to get people to foot the bill for the new one. SCE seems to not understand their audience is full of geeks and nerds who know enough about computers to say the downfall of countless units following a firmware update was not simply a coincedence.

(if your PS3 is fine....WHY ARE YOU HERE POSTING YOUR PS3 IS FINE? You should be playing it, which is all these people submitting complaints want to do!)

Message 1 of 10 (17 Views)
Fender Bender
3139 posts

Re: Coincidence

Oct 3, 2009

my ps3 isn't fine after the updates. it got all sorts of unwanted errors.

- being able to access the playstation network

- increased boot and load times.

- ability to use dynamic themes.

I demand sony admits they messed up and fix my faulty system for FREE!

again... but at least I got my data off it and deactivated my accounts.
Message 2 of 10 (17 Views)
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Oct 3, 2009

I have two PS3's (60gb & 80gb).  After I downloaded and installed the latest firmware (3.0) on both systems, discs won't read on either of them after about an hour of use.  Because of this I know for a fact that this is not a coincidence.

My theory on this whole thing is the firmware was designed to help discs load smoother and avoid freezing in mid game issues.  By doing this, the code was written to run the blue ray at a different speed or something.  Since the blu-ray drives are low quality to begin with... the update gave an increased power or speed to the drive that was just too much for it to handle.  If the system and/or drive is fairly new, it is more likely to handle the new speed... but for how long?  This goes along with your theory that there are a 'handful' of faulty blu-ray drives that are affected by this update.

I purchased a KEM-400AAA laser and mechanism to see if that fixes one of my units.  I'll keep ya updated when I receive it later in the week.

Sony knows what happened.  I do not think blaming this on a coincidence is very professional.  If Sony honestly thinks this is a major coincidence, we all might as well jump ship and buy different products for our gaming use, because they'll never make a system that is #1 ever again.

Message 3 of 10 (17 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Oct 3, 2009

Update: Sony's overall failure rate is about 10% based on survey, one being gamespot's own. So at that figure it would effect 2.46 million people costing the consumers $369,000,000 in repairs aka replacing the bluray drives that were killed. 

I think your theory is probably pretty good. Mine took a few days to go out completely, starting with freezing and eventually not reading anything. The increased effort may have caused them to burnout. So hardware failure yes, but at the fault of the firmware. Appreciate you keeping us in on your repair especially if it's cheaper. I used to fix my PS2 all the time and I doubt replacing one drive would be that hard.

Message 4 of 10 (17 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Oct 3, 2009

Yeah im stressed about dat because ma ps3 got ylod a day after i downloaded the new update.. now i cant play crap until i gets it repaired...=(.. i wish they would extend da warrenty..

Message 5 of 10 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2306 posts

Oct 3, 2009

check this out guys. this article from gamespot says that nintendo's new firmware for the wii is bricking consoles. and you won't believe what they're charging people to fix it

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6230816.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;3

Photobucket
Message 6 of 10 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
233 posts

Oct 3, 2009

Yeah would you believe it! Nintendo who has never had bricking issues before offers to fix any Wii which has been bricked by the lastest firmware for FREE! Thats the way it should be with Sony who have had these events happen way more than the Wii.

So all you people who say firmware can't affect hardware can finally shut up!

Message 7 of 10 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3454 posts

Oct 4, 2009
@shruggy, i seconds that.
Photobucket

1TB 7200RPM Destop HDD Under it's own power outside of the ps3 :smileytongue:
Message 8 of 10 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
97 posts

Oct 4, 2009
While I agree with you guys that it was the firmware... I don't see how the Nintendo problem proves anything... I mean the PS3 and the Nintendo ARE DRASTICALLY different... But if all you're trying to say is that Firmware can affect Hardware then more power to you...
Message 9 of 10 (17 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Oct 5, 2009
MrJenkins6390 wrote:

check this out guys. this article from gamespot says that nintendo's new firmware for the wii is bricking consoles. and you won't believe what they're charging people to fix it

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6230816.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;3

See what nintendo see's is if they fix them then they will get more revenue. Say a Playstation fix is $150, Sony thinks the people will pay that and then buy their product instead of them fixing it and bringing the company revenue through more bought games and downloads. What I see is a lot of alienated consumers ready to turn their backs and buy an inferrior system.

At least the EU is doing something, if only America could as well. Fix the problem, market the problem as a PR move (like nintendo or Xbox). I still say they refuse because the company as a whole does not have great cashflow at the momment because of PS3 which is why they don't want to spend the extra money.

Message 10 of 10 (17 Views)
0 Likes