Highlighted
Dec 28 2012
By: thorag_ First Son 3 posts

Can't update to 4.31 (Stops downloading/copying at 99%)

5 replies 147 views Edited Dec 28, 2012

Like the title saiys, my PS3 (slim 320 GB, 2 years old) won't update to 4.31.

It does not even start the installation process but stops downloading the update at 99%. I also put the update on two different flash a drives and a CD-R only to have it stop copying the update at 99%.

Here is what I did this far:

- started the update process via internet. Downloaing was on 99% for >2 hours. Called sony support. Got told to turn playstation and router off and try again.

- when this did not work got told to go into safe mode and fix filesystem, then try to update with flash drive in safemode. The update in sfemode will not even start though. It just stays on a "checking... please wait".

- i also reformated the hard drive in the safe mode, renewed (or whatever) the database and restored the playstation system multiple times.

Is there anything else I can do before I send it in? Would maybe waiting for the next update help? This really upsets me as the ps3 is working perfectly and I don't think i should pay 99 $ because sony messed up an update which primary cause is t protect them from hackers.

Message 1 of 6 (147 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Re: Can't update to 4.31 (Stops downloading/copying at 99%)

Dec 28, 2012

Thank God. Seriously. 4.31 is nothing but problems.

Do you know how to activate Safe Mode? Might want to try updating in safe mode. I've never done it, so I'm not sure if you can use a CD for it.

Message 2 of 6 (146 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 28, 2012

I tried updating it in safe mode multiply times. Using two differnt flash drives and two CD-Rs (one with session closed, the other without). Like stated it stays on "Checking... please wait" for ever.

Message 3 of 6 (141 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Dec 28, 2012

That's odd. With the 4.31 update, it seems like there are 2 kinds of people: Those who have problems WHILE installing, and those who have problems AFTER installing.

I'm guessing your system has a bunch of precious data you can't lose in a complete wipe and restart. Don't blame you. Really drawing a blank here. I'm betting The Mighty S would tell you "Send it in! For the low low price of $150 and your firstborne we can update it for you!"

If you can avoid playing online, you might want to disconnect it from your network and run on 4.30 until Sony puts out the next disaster of a firmware update.

I don't know what else to tell. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Good luck.

Message 4 of 6 (135 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 1, 2013

bump

Message 5 of 6 (102 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 2, 2013

i just finished updating from 4.30 to 4.31... it was successful on the 1st run, 3.5 yr old ps3 slim 120g... sorry i couldn't help

Message 6 of 6 (93 Views)
0 Likes