Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 05 2012
By: DownyTif First Son 4 posts

Can't see my content on Media Server

8 replies 383 views Edited Oct 5, 2012

Hi,

I have a NetGear Router (WNDR4000) with a USB HDD attached to it. My DLNA is running fine and have been running fine for almost a year. I have access to all my video, music and pictures files using the DLNA on those devices :

- Sony Bluray Player

- 2 computers

- 2 Tablets

I see eveything. The only files I can't stream to my Sony Bluray player are the .mkv (which is normal, but sad).

Now I connected my brand new PS3 yesterday on my wireless network. After initial setup and all, I was able to see my Router DLNA server in the Picture/Music/Video sections. But 95% of my stuff is not showing. What is weird is that I see like 5% of the stuff. I tried the following since :

- Reboot the PS3

- Disable/Enable the Media Server option

- "Search for Media Servers" in all 3 menus

- Disconnected my HDD from my router, reconnected it.

- Leave the PS3 open for some time (the folders are not refreshing)

- Change the name of some video files from the DLNA to force a refresh

Again, it is working fine on my SONY bluray player... not the PS3. Pretty frustrating !

Help !

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (383 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13960 posts

Re: Can't see my content on Media Server

Oct 5, 2012

The PS3 isn't the same as the Blu-ray player, dispite the interface similarities. The PS3 is actually older, and hasn't really had any recent enhancements in terms of supported content. If any of the content is displayed, then the problem is not with the network or media server settings; at least not on the PS3 side. What is being displayed, and what is not?  Only the files whose file formats are playable on the PS3 will be visible.  The contents of the media file may not be playable due to the method used to encode it not being supported by the PS3.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (373 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 7, 2012

Sadly, you're right... I Tried to copy some files on a USB stick and even with the stick, it doesn't show in the PS3.

A shame really, that was one of the main reason I bought the PS3 instead of another bluray player.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (360 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 7, 2012

Well, I did another test. I copied some files to my PC and those ARE visible on the PS3. The same files on the DLNA server of my router ARE NOT shown.

So the files are correct. There seem to be a problem between the PS3 and the Router (since all my other devices are seeing my files on the Router DLNA server).

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (356 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13960 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 8, 2012

DownyTif wrote:

Sadly, you're right... I Tried to copy some files on a USB stick and even with the stick, it doesn't show in the PS3.

If you use a USB drive, bear in mind that the files won't be displayed in the XMB unless they are in a specific folder on the drive.  The \VIDEO folder for videos, the \MUSIC folder for audio files, and the \PICTURE file for images.  You can use the Display ALL option in the drive icon's option menu to allow you to browser all of the folders on the drive for content, but it is usually easier to put the content in the correct folders.
GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (346 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13960 posts

Oct 8, 2012

DownyTif wrote:

Well, I did another test. I copied some files to my PC and those ARE visible on the PS3. The same files on the DLNA server of my router ARE NOT shown.

Different media servers present the content to DLNA clients differently.  Some media servers can convert content that is not compatible with the PS3, into a format that is compatible (a process known as transcoding).  Some media servers will present content that is compatible with a PS3 in such a way that the PS3 thinks that it can't play it.  The PS3 has been extensively tested with Windows Media Player, and that media server tends to work as expected.  The media server in your router may not be as compatible with the PS3.  They aren't all the same.  The DLNA standard leaves lots of room for variation.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (344 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for both replies ! I didn't know about the folders on the USB key, so yeah that will help a lot :smileyhappy:

For the Media server, I guess if at least it's working from my PC, it's ok. I'll just transfer the files in advance.

Thanks for your support !

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (327 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 10, 2012

I'm actually experiencing a similar problem - a lack of sync between the PS3 and my Network Attached Storage.

The thing that perplexes me the most about the problem is that the connection has been working like a dream for the past 6 months and has only recently been giving me issues.

About 2 weeks ago it stopped syncing new content (wouldn't refresh). Anything that had previously been placed on the network drive was still visible and playable on the PS3, but new content would not appear.

Two days ago the volumes disappeared from the PS3 OS altogether - can't seem to get it to connect. I tried the same laundry list of connection tests as DownyTif above but to no avail.

I am able to connect to the drive via Windows7 and Mac OSx - only the PS3 is giving me issues.

The drive in question is a 1TB Verbatim Mediashare, connected to the PS3 via ethernet from a D-Link router.

I'm curious as to whether it's the PS3 or the router that's at fault, and if anyone who has any experience with this bidness can offer up a solution it would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (316 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 10, 2012

DownyTif wrote:

Thanks for both replies ! I didn't know about the folders on the USB key, so yeah that will help a lot :smileyhappy:

Just to add to the USB key quirks:

If you're trying to view content on a key that hasn't been organized with the proper "PS3-friendly" hierarchies you can still press triangle with the thumb drive selected and choose "Display All". This will show any files (in recognizable formats only) that can be viewed/played under the selected category.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (315 Views)
0 Likes