Oct 01 2009
By: Raqoon Lombax Warrior 106 posts

Can no longer get USB hard drives to work

5 replies 7 views Edited Oct 1, 2009

I have an 80 gb PS3.  I used to be able to plug in USB hard drives, or put in DVD's/CD's with data on them and see the directory listing of the device/disk, and be able to play videos, audio and view images from those devices.

Now since the new firmeware update, i plug them in, or insert the disk and NOTHING happens.  The option that used to appear for the disk is gone and won't come up like it used to.  All I get is this stupid Playstation store icon...

Is anybody else having this problem, or did this new firmware disable something?

Not happy as this is why I bought the system, and is primarily what i use it for.

Help please....

It only did everything.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (7 Views)
Fender Bender
3458 posts

Re: Can no longer get USB hard drives to work

Oct 1, 2009

Do you have other devices plugged in? If there are too many devices plugged in, PS3 won't be able to provide enough power to run them all and then all of them will stop working

Have you tested the drive and cable on a PC? Did both work on it?

Have you tried a different USB port on the PS3? Maybe you blew the port.

Does the icon for the drive show up at all under any category? If so, does it just say it can't find any files? If so, put your files in their proper folders or use triangle\Show All

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
106 posts

Oct 1, 2009

I've tried two different hard drives, plus a DVD-RW that reads fine in three other computer drives (its not the disk)  Both hard drives work on a PC, and there is nothing else plugged into any of the other three USB ports on the system, and no cards in any of the memory slots.

The menu option just seems to have dissappeared and won't come back 

No icons for the drive or the disk show up when inserted or plugged in.  Its like its not even there.

It only did everything.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
543 posts

Oct 1, 2009
My USB hard drive works.  Since 3.00 it periodically disappears from the XMB, but it comes back a few seconds later.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2306 posts

Oct 1, 2009

try using the recovery console to resolve your issue. i would try option #3 restore file system. this video will show you how to use the recovery console

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZWye1CLTVo

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
106 posts

Oct 1, 2009

I think its my fault....

The drive I was trying to use was NTFS...I guess the PS3 cannot read NTFS drives, only FAT32 :smileytongue:

It only did everything.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (7 Views)
0 Likes