Oct 14 2012
By: BaconPhat420 First Son 2 posts

Can Sony find my stolen ps3 using the Mac address?

[ Edited ]
3 replies 1293 views Edited Oct 14, 2012

My PS3 was stolen the other day and I was wondering if it could be traced if someone connects to the internet using my sysyem.

Message 1 of 4 (1,293 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
20539 posts

Re: Can Sony find my stolen ps3 using the Mac address?

Oct 15, 2012

Only if they sign in to PSN.  The MAC address is only visible on the local LAN.  Not over the Internet. Sony won't make any attempt to track the PS3 unless they are requested to do so by a law enforcement agency.  You have to file a police report before Sony will do anything, and the police will have to contact Sony and request that it report the IP address of the PS3 if it appears online again.  Sony can also ban the system from accessing PSN in the future.  That won't get it back for you, but it might deter someone from buying a stolen PS3 in the future.

GKP
Message 2 of 4 (1,285 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Oct 15, 2012

I called them and they told me they couldnt do that, are they just lying cause they dont want to do it?

Message 3 of 4 (1,266 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
20539 posts

Oct 16, 2012

As I said, they won't do it for you, and they won't do it voluntarily to help you recover your PS3 no matter who asks.  If a law enforcement agency subpoenas  the information as part of an investigation, then Sony has no choice legally but to provide whatever it has the technical ability to provide; and it will do so.  There is no point in you calling.  Playstation customer support doesn't have access to the information, and isn't involved in the process.  Even if they did, they wouldn't tell you anything.  Your problem is convincing a law enforcement agency to formally investigate the theft; instead of just documenting it.  Depending on where you live, that may or may not be realistic.

GKP
Message 4 of 4 (1,262 Views)
0 Likes