Dec 31 2013
By: Jqwerty First Son 1 posts

Broken PS3, how to recover data off HDD?

2 replies 3205 views Edited Dec 31, 2012

So my old Fat PS3 died last week and I am currently borrowing my girlfriend's PS3 Slim.  I tried plugging in my HDD into her system in order to retrieve my game saves, but the system said I needed to have version 4.31 or greater of firmware on storage media.  I downloaded the firmware and put it on my USB.  Now the PS3 wants to format my drive, but I believe I will lose my data if I do this. 

I searched around and read something about data being encrypted to the specific PS3 system you use.  If I used a SATA drive enclosure to get my data onto my PC, then transferred that to a new PS3, would my game saves still work (still get trophies, etc.)?  If I can't do this, I'm confused on how exactly to get my data.  Is there any way?

Thanks.

Another question I have is why my drive doesn't simply work with her console?  Is this because the firmware installed on her system does not match the firmware that was installed when my old PS3 died?

Message 1 of 3 (3,205 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
33030 posts

Re: Broken PS3, how to recover data off HDD?

[ Edited ]
Dec 31, 2012

Jqwerty wrote:

So my old Fat PS3 died last week and I am currently borrowing my girlfriend's PS3 Slim.  I tried plugging in my HDD into her system in order to retrieve my game saves, but the system said I needed to have version 4.31 or greater of firmware on storage media.  I downloaded the firmware and put it on my USB.  Now the PS3 wants to format my drive, but I believe I will lose my data if I do this. 

I searched around and read something about data being encrypted to the specific PS3 system you use.  If I used a SATA drive enclosure to get my data onto my PC, then transferred that to a new PS3, would my game saves still work (still get trophies, etc.)?  If I can't do this, I'm confused on how exactly to get my data.  Is there any way?

Thanks.

Another question I have is why my drive doesn't simply work with her console?  Is this because the firmware installed on her system does not match the firmware that was installed when my old PS3 died?

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

Unless you can get your PS3 to turn on for long enough for you to perform a back-up of your saved data then I'm sorry but that data is now lost.

Also if you take your HDD out & put it into another PS3 it will as you have found put want to re-format it, you would indeed lose all your data if you did this.

This is the reason so many make a back-up of their saved data before something like this happens, having PlayStation Plus is also a great advantage with the 1GB of save data we get included.

Message 2 of 3 (3,198 Views)
MVP Support
18752 posts

Re: Broken PS3, how to recover data off HDD?

Dec 31, 2012

Jqwerty wrote:

So my old Fat PS3 died last week and I am currently borrowing my girlfriend's PS3 Slim

This is why we must be proactive and backup any valuable data that lives in any of our electronics. Machines, just like humans, share the same impending doom.

I tried plugging in my HDD into her system in order to retrieve my game saves, but the system said I needed to have version 4.31 or greater of firmware on storage media.  I downloaded the firmware and put it on my USB.  Now the PS3 wants to format my drive, but I believe I will lose my data if I do this. \\

When installing a new HDD you will be asked for the latest firmware version. This is for software consistency purposes.

Correct, now that your system has failed, it is too late for you to retrieve your data. The only way you can access and retrieve the data is the HDD is by fixing the PS3, other than that there is no way for you to access the data in the HDD---hence the whole purpose of encryption.

Thanks.

You are welcome

No, it is due to encryption. When you install the HDD this is formatted/encrypted and associated to the PS3 system at a low level. The latest firmware is needed because not only it is the PS3 operating system, as such, it is used to format/encrypt the HDD

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 3 of 3 (3,195 Views)