Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 04 2012
By: eddievhfan1984 First Son 10 posts

Blu-Ray problems

4 replies 97 views Edited Dec 4, 2012

Recently, I purchased a CECHA model PS3 to replace a similar model with a YLOD issue. The Blu-Ray drive on the new system seems to be incapable of reading discs of ANY type (I know about the dual-laser configuration), and accessing PlayStation Store features results in a frozen system. It has been updated to 4.31 (I'm also aware of reported issues regarding that), and I've also exchanged the new BR drive with the one from the old system, which had been confirmed working (IDK what its firmware was at the time). Am I looking at a hardware failure, or a firmware issue?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (97 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5880 posts

Re: Blu-Ray problems

Dec 4, 2012

As far as I know you cannot change a Blu-Ray drive from one unit to another as the circuit board of the Blu-Ray is matched to the PS3 motherboard.  You can change lens assemblies, but not the entire drive as a unit.

New Support Signature

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
Playstation Signature photo Signature-1.jpg
MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (90 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Dec 4, 2012

Even between devices of a like model? If so, then I guess it has to do with the Blu-Ray's DRM techniques. :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (88 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5880 posts

Dec 4, 2012

Even same model - seems to be there is a PROM or EPROM on the Blu-Ray board that contains something like a serial number to link it to the PS3 motherboard.

New Support Signature

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
Playstation Signature photo Signature-1.jpg
MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (85 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Dec 4, 2012

Well, I've just read that you CAN swap the drives, but you have to remove it from the controller board just underneath it. THAT has the device-specific encoders. Even then, the PS3 does not use AACS encryption for games, just BD films. And coupled with the simultaneous loss of fucntionality of PSN store and even Netflix, that suggests to me a more generalized problem than just a bad drive.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (79 Views)
0 Likes