Jan 11 2011
By: Nimoy First Son 26 posts

Backup Utility Question

5 replies 13 views Edited Jan 11, 2011

I am trying to upgrade the hard drive in my 60GB PS3 (purchased new in 2007).  It was always my understanding that if you use the Backup Utility and then Restore to the same system that nothing would be lost, but after spending the ~5 hours to backup the hard drive (I had already upgraded to 160GB a few years ago with zero problems) and the ~4 hours to Restore everything to the new 500GB drive, at 100% I get the message that "the restore operation could not be completed" and am forced to rebuild the hard drive database and start over.

I understand that there are some copy-protected DLC & saves, but shouldn't they be restored if I am putting them back onto the same system?  And if they're not going to be restored, shouldn't everything else be?  Why would the entire process fail?  What is the point of even having the Backup Utility if I have to delete every copy-protected file before it will work?

Sorry, I know this question has been asked a million times, but I keep finding conflicting answers...any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Nimoy's Trophies
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5250 posts

Re: Backup Utility Question

Jan 13, 2011

It could have been anything. 1 corrupted file could have caused this. Do what it said to and try again. And it shouldn't take 5 hours to backup a 160gb HDD anyway.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (13 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Jan 13, 2011

Thanks for the reply.  I tried it twice with a complete backup of the hard drive and got the error both times.  Of all of the different theories I read, the Game Data Utility files seemed to be the most common so on my third try I deleted all of them from my 160GB hard drive (goodbye, 15GB of Rock Band songs), ran the Backup Utility, and tried to Restore to the new drive and got the same error again.

I guess next I will delete the copy-protected save files & try again, and if that doesn't work then my fifth & final try will be after deleting every single PSN game purchase.  After that I might as well just manually backup the video files & bypass the Backup Utility altogether.  What a waste of time.

Nimoy's Trophies
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5250 posts

Jan 13, 2011

Hey! You do know that you can just go back to the PS store and just redownload your rockband songs right?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (13 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Jan 13, 2011

Yes, I know I can re-download all of the songs...there are just so, so many...and there's no way to have them install automatically if I'm not sitting there watching each one download, so I'm going to have to do that too...ugh.

Nimoy's Trophies
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5250 posts

Jan 13, 2011

That sucks. I had to redownload about 140 psn games when my HDD died. There is also a limit on how many background downloads that you can do at the same time.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (13 Views)
0 Likes