Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 23 2012
By: Phil_Rose First Son 3 posts

Backing up game data ONLY

3 replies 83 views Edited Dec 23, 2012

Hi all, I feel like this should have been easy info to find but I haven't been able to. I tried to do a full backup but it crashed half way through. So, in this hypothetical situation, would I be able to get my game progress back. 

1) I copy all the game data from Game Data Utility to a thumb drive.

2) my PS3 bursts into flames, gets eaten by a mountain lion or falls down a big hole.

3) I buy a new PS3

4) I reinstall Skyrim (for instance)

5) I copy all the game data back onto the system,

6) I start up Skyrim.

If I just did that would I be back to the point I am currently at or is it just not that easy?

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Phil

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
113 posts

Re: Backing up game data ONLY

Dec 24, 2012
Hi there and sorry but lol @ #2!...the mountain lion thing, got me.

Seriously though, you can do that but you'll also have to backup your 'Game Save Data' as well. That way, you can continue from where you had left off, in any game.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (71 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 24, 2012
I'm glad you liked my examples of very likely situations! Now I'm confused though. I misspoke and I actually Saved Data Utility (PS3) and it was the files in there that I copied. There's also a folder called Game Data Utility but, when I open that, the only options available on pressing triangle are Delete and Information. Do I have to copy that as well or isthat DLC/update info? And if iI do have to move it how would I do so? I'm guessing it's just the Saved Data Utility contents I need to move. Is this right?
Thanks so much for the help so far!
Phil
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (65 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13960 posts

Dec 24, 2012

There is generally no need to back up anything in the Game Data Utility. The Game Data Utility is not used to store game progress of any kind.  Most game progress is stored in the Save Data Utility, and the rest is on on the PSN or game servers.  The Game Data Utility is used to store files from Blu-ray games that need to be loaded quickly or frequently, as well as patches and add-ons for PS3 games.  The files stored by Blu-ray games are on the disk, and will be copied to the hard drive again as needed automatically.  There is no need for a backup. The disk, which has to be in the drive when you play anyway, is the backup. Patches and add-ons can also be downloaded again from the Playstation Store for as long as their license is valid, so you don't need to back those up either.  

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (59 Views)
0 Likes