Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 30 2010
By: billsey First Son 6 posts

Any way to downgrade?

12 replies 1 views Edited Dec 30, 2009
Is there a procedure available to downgrade a system from the current firmware to a previous build? I'd assume it would involve a drive reformat at least, but I'd sure like to be able to get Blu-Ray working again, and dropping back to 2.8.0 just might be the ticket.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4175 posts

Re: Any way to downgrade?

Dec 31, 2009
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (1 View)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
358 posts

Dec 31, 2009
even if there was don't you realise every game that comes out after an update requires that update to play it . you go back to 2.80 and you can't play assassins creed 2 , modern warfare 2 , uncharted 2 , gow3 , etc. etc etc ..... you can't get dynamic themes or new avatars , use playstation home because it updates to match , any new psn title , use netflix , should i go on ? seriously , updates only add functionality and features and fix small glitches ... what's so wrong with that ? the only real complaint is the big font for people without an hdtv , most ps3 owners have an hdtv too
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer .

A goal is not always meant to be reached , it often serves simply as something to aim at

Bruce Lee
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (1 View)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Dec 31, 2009
Ah, but we play very few games on our PS3. Little Big Planet, Sonic, Ratchet & Clank. We bought the PS3, and mostly use it, for a Blu-Ray player. It's no longer useable as a Blu-Ray player and it will no longer play any of our games. All it can be used for is a very expensive DVD player. If I could go back to the previous firmware version, I could agin use it the way we have used it in the past, and we could upgrade again after they've fixed whatever broke the early machines.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (1 View)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2070 posts

Dec 31, 2009
Even if you were able to go back to a former firmware it's not going to fix the drive problem. You most likely have a bad Blu-Ray laser. You can find the replacement parts online or you can do a craigs list search for a local console repair shop that can fix this for you.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4175 posts

Dec 31, 2009

billsey wrote:
If I could go back to the previous firmware version, I could agin use it the way we have used it in the past, and we could upgrade again after they've fixed whatever broke the early machines.

nope.  retrograding will not fix your problem. 

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12787 posts

Jan 1, 2010

billsey wrote:
Is there a procedure available to downgrade a system from the current firmware to a previous build? I'd assume it would involve a drive reformat at least, but I'd sure like to be able to get Blu-Ray working again, and dropping back to 2.8.0 just might be the ticket.

nope, once the update begins u r commited, states as much before you agree to the TOS on screen
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (1 View)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 1, 2010

jmm49 wrote:
Even if you were able to go back to a former firmware it's not going to fix the drive problem. You most likely have a bad Blu-Ray laser. You can find the replacement parts online or you can do a craigs list search for a local console repair shop that can fix this for you.

I believe there are two possibilities that are likely, from reading the various posts about this issue. One is that the new firmware tweaked the parameters for reading Blu-Ray discs beyond what some of the drives in the early machines can handle, so they stop working until the tweaks get reversed (which would potentially explain why some users have been able to get their systems working again by rebuilding their systems). The other is that the new firmware tweaked the parameters for reading Blu-Ray discs beyond what some of the drives in the early machines can handle, so they burn the Blu-Ray lasers out (which would explain why some users were able to get their systems working again by replacing the drive).

In the first case, replacing the laser will only work if you replace the whole mechanism with a newer style that can handle the new parameters, yet waiting for a new firmware might just fix the problem even with the old hardware. In the second place replacing the laser will only work if the new laser is built so that it can handle the extra load and if the new laser is really an old stock part, it'll just burn out again. Same thing holds true if you send your system in for refurbishing, they'll send you a different unit which may or may not work for any length of time with the new firmware.

Probably the best solution is to just bite the bullet and buy a new PS3, working on the assumption that a new one will have more robust hardware. For our use that would probably read 'buy a new Blu-Ray player' since the prices on Blu-Ray players have dropped enough to make them financially a better choice for viewing Blu-Ray movies. They're down to the point where they're priced about the same as sending the PS3 in for refurbishment. We'd lose the ability to play games, but we didn't play many games in the first place. I expect there'll be other game machines released in the future that will be better designed than this one was.

I believe Sony dropped the ball on this, they didn't do enough testing with their older units to find out that they were going to disable them. If they had they wouldn't have tweaked things as much and we'd all have been a lot happier. I bought this unit primarily to play the new movies, and since it was comparably priced with the stand alone Blu-Ray players of it's time it seemed like a good choice. Now it doesn't seem like such a good choice after all.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (1 View)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2070 posts

Jan 1, 2010

billsey wrote:

jmm49 wrote:

I believe there are two possibilities that are likely, from reading the various posts about this issue. One is that the new firmware tweaked the parameters for reading Blu-Ray discs beyond what some of the drives in the early machines can handle, so they stop working until the tweaks get reversed (which would potentially explain why some users have been able to get their systems working again by rebuilding their systems). The other is that the new firmware tweaked the parameters for reading Blu-Ray discs beyond what some of the drives in the early machines can handle, so they burn the Blu-Ray lasers out (which would explain why some users were able to get their systems working again by replacing the drive).

In the first case, replacing the laser will only work if you replace the whole mechanism with a newer style that can handle the new parameters, yet waiting for a new firmware might just fix the problem even with the old hardware. In the second place replacing the laser will only work if the new laser is built so that it can handle the extra load and if the new laser is really an old stock part, it'll just burn out again. Same thing holds true if you send your system in for refurbishing, they'll send you a different unit which may or may not work for any length of time with the new firmware.

Probably the best solution is to just bite the bullet and buy a new PS3, working on the assumption that a new one will have more robust hardware. For our use that would probably read 'buy a new Blu-Ray player' since the prices on Blu-Ray players have dropped enough to make them financially a better choice for viewing Blu-Ray movies. They're down to the point where they're priced about the same as sending the PS3 in for refurbishment. We'd lose the ability to play games, but we didn't play many games in the first place. I expect there'll be other game machines released in the future that will be better designed than this one was.

I believe Sony dropped the ball on this, they didn't do enough testing with their older units to find out that they were going to disable them. If they had they wouldn't have tweaked things as much and we'd all have been a lot happier. I bought this unit primarily to play the new movies, and since it was comparably priced with the stand alone Blu-Ray players of it's time it seemed like a good choice. Now it doesn't seem like such a good choice after all.

The thing is that the number of failed units are really not that high. I have a 60 gig system and I update every time there is a new update and it's never effected the system. The units that are failing were most likely getting ready to fail at any time and the firmware was released at the time the hardware failed.

Note I leave my system on 24/7 and it always has some kind of disc in the drive. Also I have it standing vertical and is in a very open area.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (1 View)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 1, 2010

My thought is that when there is a thread on this forum that has 800+ messages from people who've had the problem since the release of 3.0, it's a pretty significant number of failed units. My assumption is that *most* people don't read these forums, but in the real world the same percentages would apply as we see here. I went through the last months threads (50 pages took me back to 11/30) and only one thread was larger, and only a couple of were close in size (surprise, at least one that was close was also about broken Blu-Ray with the latest firmware). I don't know how many people are on this forum so I can't speak as to what percentage of posters are people who have the problem, but it certainly seems to be significant.

How many 60G system were built? What would you think is the percentage that has now failed due to this issue, 5%, 10%, 25%, 50%?I know in my household it is 100%.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (1 View)
0 Likes