Oct 09 2009
By: playstion3man Wastelander 676 posts

A question on backwards compatability

7 replies 2 views Edited Oct 9, 2009

The 60GB PAL models used software emulation for the BC of PS2 games and I remember is some of the early firmware updates like 2.0 (I think that was the last) they added more games that would work with the BC.

Everyone downloads the same software updates regardless of what system you have (yes I know that the different regions have to use different updates (released at the same time with same features thought)). And as was said by a sony mod somewhere that the updates have to include all the previous features incase someone missed an update. So if someone with the ps3 slim or any other model without BC has the same update data as me (and they do) how does the BC not work? It seems like its harder for sony to take it out then if they just left it there. Because I have a 60gig pal here in aus and my bc works but people that I know with new ps3s don't have bc.

So the software for bc is there on the new systems so how does that work? It seems like all sony has to do is dissable a little option somewhere in the fw and bc should work for modern ps3s?

Ok I think this is a bit confusing. I am starting to get confused. lol. Sorry if its a bit mixed around its just as I thought of it. but yea what is your take on this?

Playstation G.A.P. Member.Lives in the land down under (Australia).PSU Since 07 GAP Since07
Photobucket
Message 1 of 8 (2 Views)
Fender Bender
3555 posts

Re: A question on backwards compatability

Oct 9, 2009
The hardware is different for BC models than it is for all other models.

Sony Computer Entertainment America
M-SAT 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PST
Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m
800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)
How to access Safe Mode on ps3
Message 2 of 8 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
676 posts

Oct 9, 2009

Even the PAL60GB models? because I know they deffinatly took something out of the PAL models on the hardware side and it had to do with BC. I am pretty sure its the emotion engine. They said that PAL ps3s only have software emulation. I also remember that pre FW1.60 (came out the day of the pal release of PS3) ps2 games were un playable on the ps3. Because I remember trying before I updated and I couldn't and my mate who didn't have a router didn't have his ps3 updated for ages and couldn't play ps2 games.

I also remember as the updates came out 1.70 1.80 more and more ps2 games would work with the system. Now most of them do even the new ones from the shops do work. Quite a few of them still have heaps of bugs like ssx3 it is horrible it always freezes at certin points and stuff.

So if the BC is in the updates which it has to be it should work on the current models. I wonder what sony has done to make it not work. 

Message Edited by playstion3man on 10-09-2009 07:51 AM
Playstation G.A.P. Member.Lives in the land down under (Australia).PSU Since 07 GAP Since07
Photobucket
Message 3 of 8 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3555 posts

Oct 9, 2009
the 60 and 20 have hardware for the BC.  The BC 80 gig had different hardware as well but relied mostly on software emulation.  I believe that it's possible to bring BC back but that it won't happen.

Sony Computer Entertainment America
M-SAT 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PST
Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m
800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)
How to access Safe Mode on ps3
Message 4 of 8 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
676 posts

Oct 9, 2009

Pal terratories never got the 20gig and the 80gig never had bc for us. The only console here that had bc was the 60 and it was said that it had software emulation. Remember this isn't the american consoles that had hardware based software emu.

I just looked it up and the pal 60gigs had partial software emulation. hmm so it wasn't all done by software. does anyone know what they took out of the pal models? was it the emotion engine?

Photobucket
Message 5 of 8 (2 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1048 posts

Oct 9, 2009
it's on the motherboard, there is no way to do this with any other unit
Message 6 of 8 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7487 posts

Oct 9, 2009

playstion3man wrote:

The 60GB PAL models used software emulation for the BC of PS2 games and I remember is some of the early firmware updates like 2.0 (I think that was the last) they added more games that would work with the BC.

Everyone downloads the same software updates regardless of what system you have (yes I know that the different regions have to use different updates (released at the same time with same features thought)). And as was said by a sony mod somewhere that the updates have to include all the previous features incase someone missed an update. So if someone with the ps3 slim or any other model without BC has the same update data as me (and they do) how does the BC not work? It seems like its harder for sony to take it out then if they just left it there. Because I have a 60gig pal here in aus and my bc works but people that I know with new ps3s don't have bc.

So the software for bc is there on the new systems so how does that work? It seems like all sony has to do is dissable a little option somewhere in the fw and bc should work for modern ps3s?

Ok I think this is a bit confusing. I am starting to get confused. lol. Sorry if its a bit mixed around its just as I thought of it. but yea what is your take on this?

Your misunderstanding seems to stem from the text marked in red. 

The 60 gig Pal used the Hardware Graphics Synthesizer from the PS2 (or an equivalent for cost) in order to run PS2 software. All graphical instructions were sent to the GS while all Emotion Engine instructions (the CPU) were sent to the Cell for Emulation. This is the exact same configuration for the US 80 gig with 4 USB ports. 

So your PS3 is not using emulation for the Graphics Synthesizer of the PS2 and thus it isn't true emulation. With the exception of the EE of course.

All other models with the exception of the BC models lack the Graphics Synthesizer and therefore are unable to run PS2 software.

Now people talk about how the Firmware still has the Emulation files in it, but those are for purely running the Emotion Engine instructions and the updates for the US/JP 60/20 gig units for IO emulation. They have nothing to do with the Graphics Synthesizer. 

Message 7 of 8 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Oct 10, 2009
Yup, what KazeEternal said. The 60GB PAL and NTSC 80GB 4 USB models only had partial software emulation (EE CPU). They still used the graphics hardware from the PS2, and none of the newer 2 USB model PS3 systems have that hardware. PS1 compatibility was always done entirely in software emulation on the PS3 (and even on the later model PS2 I believe) so that is why you can still run PS1 games on all models, but can't run PS2 games on the newer PS3 systems.

PS3 Backwards Compatibility:

The NTSC (Japan/US) 20GB & 60GB "Launch" models have the "Emotion Engine" CPU + "Graphics Synthesizer" GPU chip from the PS2 for full hardware compatibility. These models will play almost all PS2 titles (it is not 100% though, there are some older titles that will not run on the PS3).

The NTSC 80GB MotorStorm/MGS4 bundle models, and PAL (Europe) 60GB have the "Graphics Synthesizer" GPU chip, but use software emulation for the EE CPU. These models are not as compatible as the models with the hardware EE chip, but they will still play most PS2 titles.

The 40GB has none of the PS2 hardware and is not compatible with PS2 software at all.

The new 80GB "Core" and 160GB Uncharted bundle are just 40GB models with larger hard drives, so compatibility is the same as the 40GB (they can't play any PS2 games). This is also true of the PS3 "Slim" as well (which is just a further cost reduced redesign of the 40GB model).

Basically, any model that has only 2 USB ports is not compatible with PS2 software.

ALL models use software emulation to play original PlayStation/PS1 games (yes, even the 40GB models).

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 8 of 8 (2 Views)