First Son
25 posts

Re: 80029940 error?

Jul 17, 2009

Well i had thought that sony had fixed this issue as it has now been over a year since i had my (then) first and last problem with this issue on my 3. just got Open Season2 on BD in the mail from BBonline. popped it into my 3 and the XMB read the disk fine, even popped up the thumbnail artwork. went to play the disk and it went to a black screen for about 30 seconds then the little 'working' icon showed up in the top right of my screen for a few moments then the screen went black again, then i get the dreaded 80029940 error. i then proceeded to curse all things that end or begin with error messages. well i now have access to TWO other PS3's and i checked the disk on all three and i get the message on ALL of them, so at this point this error message is comming down to one of two things. either the disk is bad, or there are just certain disks that the PS3 does not like, i say that because 2 of the ps3's i tried it on have the most current FW out atm, and the other has a FW that has not been updated for about a year now.

my big mind numbing question is WHY has sony not fixed this issue yet or at least made a thread of their own to address this issue with the now Millions of us that own a PS3. it has been 3 years and the error is still popping up from time to time. there has been more than enough time to find the problem and fix it by now.

SONY DO SOMETHING TO FIX THIS PLEASE!!!!

Message 21 of 42 (386 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jul 24, 2009

I've begun having this error too, and can't play a single BD at all!  My system is up to date (FW), and is only three months old.  What gives?  Unfortunately, I don't have the receipt.  Can I return this to Sony?  Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, as I bought this primarily for the BD player, and media player, as I'm not that much into games.

Thanks!

Message 22 of 42 (386 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 28, 2009

Yep I got this error watching the 2nd transformer bluray...turns out there was a real tiny fingerprint on it that you had to hold it up to the light to see it.  Once I cleaned the disc off with cleaner and a lint free cloth it worked perfect.  I guess its just super-sensitive to fingerprints.

Message 23 of 42 (386 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Oct 28, 2009

craw4dm wrote:

I've begun having this error too, and can't play a single BD at all!  My system is up to date (FW), and is only three months old.  What gives?  Unfortunately, I don't have the receipt.  Can I return this to Sony?  Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, as I bought this primarily for the BD player, and media player, as I'm not that much into games.

Thanks!

craw4dm... call scea anyway, what can they do...worse case, say no. i was a victim of the dreaded GTA IV freeze and they had me send in my ps3 on their dime, got a replacement unit like less than a week later. just remember to back up ALL of your save data and stuff that you dont want to loose on a external drive of some kind via USB because chances are if they send you a new unit like they did mine, you will loose all game save, pics, movies and downloaded content you had on your drive.

Message 24 of 42 (386 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 29, 2010
Turning off 'super white' under display worked for me and Pelham 123
Message 25 of 42 (386 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Feb 7, 2010

I just got a 80029940 with Land of the Lost (from Netflix) and got nothing but a black screen for "9" (also from Netflix) ... had to soft-reset to recover from "9".

No fingerprints etc.  The disks appear perfect. 

I turned superwhite on and off ... along with some other settings ... to see if that'd let them boot up, but no dice.

Popped the new StarTrek (I own it) into the PS3, and it came up no problem.

Puzzled.

I popped the 2 Netflix movies into my BluRay laptop and they wouldn't come up there either.

???

----
There are 10 types of people. Those that understand binary, and those that do not.

PlayStation.Blog | PS3-System-Updates |
Message 26 of 42 (386 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 5, 2010

Just got Saw 6 in on BR from Netflix and getting the same error. Superwhite off by default. Dissappointing.

Message 27 of 42 (386 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 15, 2010

This will sound dumb, but I have been having this problem for months with my Netflix disc, but only that disc.  It would play about 1/20th of the time.  Just got another blu-ray that is doing the same thing.  And by sheer accident, I happened to find that when it didn't work, but putting the disc in upside-down for about 10 seconds, ejecting it, and putting it in correctly it works.  Don't ask me why, but I've done it on both discs a few times since and it seems to be a temporary (though stupid) fix for mine.

Message 28 of 42 (386 Views)
First Son
25 posts

Apr 16, 2010

bbach07 wrote:

This will sound dumb, but I have been having this problem for months with my Netflix disc, but only that disc.  It would play about 1/20th of the time.  Just got another blu-ray that is doing the same thing.  And by sheer accident, I happened to find that when it didn't work, but putting the disc in upside-down for about 10 seconds, ejecting it, and putting it in correctly it works.  Don't ask me why, but I've done it on both discs a few times since and it seems to be a temporary (though stupid) fix for mine.

that is interesting bbach07. the only thing that i can think of, but i have never actually heard of it being valid, would be that by having a surface that is unreadable (being painted) it resets/overloads&resets the lasers read buffer and allows it to make the corrections in any disk error properly. past that i can think of no reason what so ever that would or could physically cause the player to spontaneously start reading properly again just by putting in a disk upside down. if this is whats happening and the buffers are reseting then all you should have to do is turn your system off and do a hard reset (power down with the rocker switch in the back of the unit) then power back up, as this should dump any and all information in any of the buffers or ram systems in the unit.

next time i have this error on a disk that i receive i will try this and post up a reply as to my results. however i have not had this issue for almost a year now.

Message 29 of 42 (386 Views)
First Son
1 posts

May 2, 2010

I am completely updated. still not working.

Message 30 of 42 (386 Views)
0 Likes