Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 02 2013
By: mcjoe29 First Son 2 posts

80 GB PS3 not supporting new games?

3 replies 118 views Edited Jan 2, 2013

I've recently had quite a few problems with my PS3 and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar. I have an 80 gb PS3 and I've had problems with it ylod-ing recently. I'll try and give a quick recap...

- ylod-ed at the end of August, probably due to being old. Took it into a shop and the guy fixed it, got it back a couple days later.

- played it for like 2 weeks and it ylod-ed again. Took it into the same shop and the guy said he couldn't fix it so he gave me a "new" one that he had from before that he fixed with new parts etc.

- played it again for like 2 weeks and it ylod-ed again with the explanation that it had overheated.

- Just got it back on Saturday, watched a blu-ray on Monday, played it for the first time today and it just restarted itself on me.

Now, the guy who fixes them for me has no idea so while my first explanation is that he's an idiot and can't fix it and should tell me to buy a new one BUT now I'm wondering if maybe the fact that I'm playing mostly NHL 13 and Madden 13 is why it keeps crapping out. Could it be that playing the newer games on the older systems is what's slowing it down/causing it to overheat? Has anyone else had a problem similar to that?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (118 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: 80 GB PS3 not supporting new games?

Jan 2, 2013

NVM, it ylod-ed again, so I can't try it again. Any thoughts anyway since I won't be playing PS3 for a while now?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (116 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13608 posts

Jan 3, 2013

Newer games do try to push the hardware more for each version, so the PS3 does run slightly hotter with newer games than it did with older games that pushed the hardware less.  Any PS3 should be able to run any PS3 game, but if your PS3 hardware is marginal, some games very well could push it to fail; while other games do not.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

Jan 4, 2013

No, newer games cause no issues. Get back your original system and send it too Sony. I have a 60GB and never have seen a YLOD. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (63 Views)
0 Likes