Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 07 2013
By: PukeSkysplatter First Son 1 posts
Accepted Solution

3D glasses for active ps3 but passive TV

5 replies 900 views Edited Jul 7, 2013

Quick question, i have a Passive 3d Vizio LED TV however, when looking at some of my PS3 games it says it uses Active 3d. My question is do i need Active or Passive glasses. When i use the passive 3d glasses that game with my TV on the playstation the 3d effect seems lacking depth. I was curious if i got the Playstation Active glasses it would resolve this. 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (900 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7831 posts

Re: 3D glasses for active ps3 but passive TV

[ Edited ]
Jul 7, 2013

Active vs Passive is purely based on the type of 3D your television uses.

Active shutter glasses will only work with an active 3D TV such as a Sony Bravia.

The Passive 3D sets (Vizio, LG, etc) work in a different way.  I also have a Vizio LED Passive 3D set, and I think it looks better than the 3D on the PS3 Active 3D display that I used to use.  Of course, I'm also comparing a 42" 3DTV (Vizio) to a 24" 3DTV (Sony).

The problem with almost any LED TV is that it is not properly 'calibrated' to your in-home environment (particularly lighting). You'll probably want to do a google search on how to properly calibrate your particular model (color temp, contrast, brightness, LED level, etc).  On my set, calibrating it made a world of difference.

It also depends on how the 3D is encoded in each individual game.  Uncharted 3 looks SPECTACULAR on my Vizio in 3D...  the Sly Cooper and Jak and Daxter series, not so much.  I mean... they look good, but they lack the depth and detail of U3.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (892 Views)
PlayStation MVP
13748 posts

Jul 7, 2013

If you have a passive 3D TV, then it won't work with active 3D glasses.  The glasses have to match the TV.  Not the game.  Passive 3D glasses use different colored filters to block the screen image from one eye or the other.  Active 3D glasses use Bluetooth-controlled shutters in the lenses to block the screen image from one eye or the other.  If your TV does not have a Bluetooth or other radio transmitter to control the active 3D glasses, then those glasses won't work with your TV at all.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (890 Views)
PlayStation MVP
7831 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 7, 2013

gkpama00 wrote:

If you have a passive 3D TV, then it won't work with active 3D glasses.  The glasses have to match the TV.  Not the game.  Passive 3D glasses use different colored filters to block the screen image from one eye or the other.  Active 3D glasses use Bluetooth-controlled shutters in the lenses to block the screen image from one eye or the other.  If your TV does not have a Bluetooth or other radio transmitter to control the active 3D glasses, then those glasses won't work with your TV at all.

You are thinking of anaglyph (Red/Cyan glasses) 3D (which virtually any TV is capable of).  Current Passive 3D TVs use the same technology (albeit in a more 'interlaced' way) as RealD-3D (aka Disney 3D) movies in the theatre (circular polarization).

There are advantages and disadvantages to both, but that is for another discussion.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (887 Views)
PlayStation MVP
13748 posts

Jul 7, 2013

I was trying to keep it simple, but yes you are correct.  The current 3D glasses used in theatres are different than the old ones, but are much harder to explain.  The important point is that active 3D glasses don't work with passive 3D TVs; and in fact not all active 3D glasses work with all active 3D TVs.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (884 Views)
PlayStation MVP
7831 posts

Jul 7, 2013

gkpama00 wrote:

I was trying to keep it simple, but yes you are correct.  The current 3D glasses used in theatres are different than the old ones, but are much harder to explain.  The important point is that active 3D glasses don't work with passive 3D TVs; and in fact not all active 3D glasses work with all active 3D TVs.

The thing is, just looking at a couple of pairs of 3D glasses nowadays, it is almost impossible to tell the difference between the two.

Obviously, the Active ones will have a tell-tale power button, charging port and/or battery cover on them somewhere, while Passive 3D glasses look like a pair of lightly tinted sunglasses... :smileytongue:

To the OP... I guess the point we are both making is that no, an active pair of 3D glasses will not work with your Vizio.

I would recommend downloading Vudu and checking out some of the '3D Collection 2 minute previews' to see how the 3D looks on your TV.  You could also try downloading some game demos, but many '3D Compatible' games' demos don't include the 3D version (even Motorstorm 3D's demo is $10).

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (882 Views)