Jan 03 2003
By: fat_Mack_2~old First Son 5 posts

has any one else have this problem

9 replies 1 views Edited Jan 3, 2003

Has any one else have a problem like i have. About 6 to 8 months ago i started to get disk read errors. Last night i went to go play my madden 2003 football game and when i went to play it, it went straight to the broswer screen. Like it does. The it just keep on coming up disk read errors. So i would change the game. So i popped in my twisted metal black game. that work like normal.  So i messed around with it some more. Still the disker errors popped up. The i put in a music cd and that didnt even play. that came up as a disk read error. So now my playstation 2 gaming part doesnt work or the cd player but the dvd player works though for some reason.

My question is, has any one else have this problem with their ps2's?

If so how did you fix it or did you have to go out and buy another one?

Any answeres would be greatly appreciate it

thanks,

kris

Message 1 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2095 posts

Re: has any one else have this problem

Jan 3, 2003
call sony, thats beacuse you can only play dvd or dvd  roms

First comes love, then comes pain,... let the games begin.

"Eddie Vedder"

SOCOM nick name: (FA) billy1993
SOCOM2 nick name: (PM) billy1993
Xbox Live Gamertag: billy1993
Message 2 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 3, 2003
HEy i had this problem too. for some reason the newer games they come out with have a different color back to them and these games need the laser to be completely cleaned. al i did was go o my nearsest electronics place and asked them if they could clean the laser parts and now mine works perfectly like new.
Message 3 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3239 posts

Jan 3, 2003
There are several things you can do for a disk read error (DSR)
1) Use condensed air that comes ina can, and clean all the dust in your vents and in the back.
2) If that does not work, buy a lense cleaner from Walmart.
3) If none of this works call SONY 1-800-345-SONY Use your 2-year warranty if you have one.
Message 4 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

yes i have had this problem too!!!!!

Jan 3, 2003
Hi, I am lixers.  Yes that is a dumb user name but it was the only one I could think of.  I have the same damm problem you do and I am sorry to tell you but I don't have any advice for you.  I just came to help your protest.  So maybe we both of us could fix this problem.  JUst in case some one doesn't know what I am talking about I will tell you.  I get  disc read errors all the the time.  Every blue bottom disc or cd won't work at all.  I have tried everything.  The onl ones that work are the dvd's .  If I have to spend over 300 dollars or buy a new ps2 I will be very upset and angry.
Message 5 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jan 3, 2003
I had the same problem, i sent my ps2 off to sony in michigan and got all new disk drivers installed and they refurbished everything to new again, it took a month from ship date to recival date, but I have what is basically a brand new ps2.
Message 6 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 3, 2003

i read you sent your ps2 in and got almost a new one. i was wondering what did you call them and they told you to send it it? if not, what did you say when you sent yours in? let me know ok.

thanks

kris

Message 7 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 3, 2003
which eletronic store did you take it too? was it cheap for them to do that?
Message 8 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Re: yes i have had this problem too!!!!!

Jan 4, 2003

I've had the same errors off and on lately.  The other day I tried my ps2 again and most of my games, CDs, and DVDs come up with Disk Read Error.  I have a version 2 PS2 purchased 3/2001.  Sony has received many calls about faulty laser lenses but have stated that it is not yet a major problem so they will not recall or do free repairs.  What I would do is write to your state's better business bureau detailing your problems and sony's response.  Then write sony with a copy of that letter asking for a replacement ps2 of the newest model.  I read a post on a message board that this worked and they were sent a new ps2 with a letter asking to write to their state again about sony's correction of the issue.  Good Luck.

-matt

Message 9 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

this is what i did

Jan 4, 2003

after posting this messages and reading the peoples respondes. I finally called sony's 800 number. i got to talk to service operator. (for free mind you) i told him what was going on. He told me to do the auto diagnostic (which you will find on page 9 of the manuel). My ps2 kept on coming up with read disk errors. So he gave me all this info about sending it in. Well playstation is gonna fix it for free. All i have to do is paying shipping and handling (which i can deal with) and wait about a month for it to come back. So i am just letting ya'll know if you call sony (the number is in the book) they will help you for free and maybe they will tell you to send it in so.

Message 10 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes