Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This widget could not be displayed.
Dec 12 1999
By: Anonymous Member 0 posts

Some facts you guys need to know

4 replies 2 views Edited Dec 12, 1999
First of all, this is not going to be a biased post rambling not to buy a PS2 and get a DC instead. I do hope you all go buy a DC though, because you really are missing out if not.

I want to let all of you who are here know some truths about Sony's new system. First of all the price. A lot of people seem to think that it will cost under 300, but in reality were looking at 350-400. Trust me, when you add up all thats inside of that little box, it is quite costly.

Next, how powerful it is. So many people have been decieved by this. They compare its 75 mill polys to DC's 3.5 mill. Well that 75 is with no effects or anything. In all reality, when you throw in all the effects, ai, controller functions, etc., its more like 8-10. Also, this dosent mean all games are gonna take advantage of this. If they were to, programmers would be taking forever to make games. Think people... think. The DC's power hasnt even been used past the 50% mark, and look how amazing it is. It takes a lot of work to make character models and worlds that use all the polygons possible.

I am not a biased person. I give every console a chance. Theres only a couple titles im interested in on PS2, so I dont know if I will get one. But I wanted some people to be aware of the situation here.

And finally, the biggest problem. No modem. Even if there is an add-on, there will still be problems. DC comes packed with one, therefore people can make any game compatible and anyone can go buy a game and play online. (when they get the network up and running, that is) With PS2, this wont happen. Sega themselves proved this type of this does not work. And if Sony releases a cable modem only, this can be very bad. Not all areas have cable access, but practically everywhere has access for telephone modems. The 2 controller ports are also a problem for multiplayer games.

Well thats it for now. These are downright facts people, not opinions. I have looked into the PS2 for a while now. If anyone can prove me wrong, go ahead, in fact I want you too, that way I have more info. Im not the type who hates to get proved wrong. All it does is give me more knowledge.

Message 1 of 5 (2 Views)
0 Likes
0 posts

RE: so true

Dec 12, 1999
look at the pictures and check the first movie of metropolis it looks stunning check http://www.segaweb.com
Message 2 of 5 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

RE: Some facts you guys need to know

Dec 12, 1999
hmmmm, ok where shall i start? firstly Sony are not packing in a modem because 1. no network gaming available as of yet 2. the choice of net connection (cable, dial up) is entirely up to the customer. secondly as for only 2 controller ports on the ps2, 2 is more than enough, if you look at the total number of games available on the current ps, how many games use more than 2 controllers? its not cost effective to produce a machine with more than 2 and besides have you ever heard of a multitap? and as for the price, who knows how much it will be, im sure it will be very competitive whatever the price. lastly the dreamcast only has 16 mb of memory, the ps2 has 32! this means an awful lot of texture data can be stored, whcih means very realistic graphics!
Message 3 of 5 (2 Views)
0 Likes
0 posts

RE: Some facts you guys need to know

Dec 12, 1999
first have you seen the best looking car game ever go to segaweb.com and check the metropolis movie the first one
Message 4 of 5 (2 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Get it right

Dec 12, 1999
Before you read this I want you to know that I am not a playstation freak. Acually I don't even own a playstation. I am just looking at every new system. You said Psx2 can only do about 8.4 million polys with full effects. It can acually do a little under 16 million polys. As for dreamcast it can do around 3 million polys as you had said. Depending on what type of game there is only a slight difference. But that difference is the look of "still sort of a game but damn real" to "What? That's a game?" And you are right it depends on the developer(side note- Psx2 is extreamly hard to develop for) but at least that option is there. On dreamcast it is not. As more developers get the hang of developing for psx2 their games will pass up dreamcast and dc will not be able to do anything but sit and watch.

Another thing to watch is memory. Their are already games on multipule gd's where it would take almost 7(rounding up) gd's to equal one DVD. But once again it depends on the developer, but atleast the option is there.

Other than that I agree with you on the no modem, 2 controler port issues.
Message 5 of 5 (2 Views)
0 Likes