Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 12 1999
By: alex99~old First Son 2 posts

Computers, Consoles, Games, and the likes

8 replies 16 views Edited Dec 12, 1999
I like how all of you are so quick to say that computer games suck. I am sorry to say that you are comptely wrong. You can argue with me all you want, but I am a vetran console and computer gamer of over 15 years (I am sorry if I have been playing games for as old as some of you are). In fact I would venture to say that I could probably name some systems and computers that you little teenieboppers have never even heard of. The fact of the matter is that console games can be very good or very very bad. Trust me, I have seen a lot of good ones, and even more bad ones. The same goes for computer games, some are good, most are bad. I also hate to you hear you say that computer games have dirt cheap budgets and console games have really high ones and a result that makes the console games automatically better. Again, I cannot tell you how wrong you are. I would really like to know where you got your info from. Did you bother to notice now how many companies produce the same game for both PC and console. It maybe true that PC's games are cheaper to make, but that is most likely beccause of the more uniform manner in which computer games can be made (DirectX, OpenGL, Windozes...praise the monopoly for that). Those drivers take care of the hardware, the programmer just use the features available through them. However, when programming for a console, none of these things exsist. So, as a result, you have to write very much to and for the hardware. IN FACT, for that very reason, some video games systems have failed miserably, ie Sega's Saturn. It's twin 32 bit processors spelled its eminent doom because it was so difficult to program for and few games were made (at least in the US). You can think what you want of either platform, be it PC or console, but either way you have a plethora of really bad games on either, and a very very small number of really noteworthy games. Also keep in mind that PC's are multi-function machines. Nowadays, they allow you to do everything from at home video editing to gaming and word processing. However, console's are primarily single funciton machines. You are stretching it by saying the Dreamcast and PSX2 will be DVD and online capable. Whoopdeedoo, they may very well be able to do this but their main use is still for games, no more, no less. So in the end I think you can all count: that is a grand total of 3 functions, all of which the PC has been able to do for a while now. Basically, it all depends on what you are looking for, but don't forget that, by definition, all of your consoles are computers too.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
970 posts

The fact is that PC game sales are pathetic compared to PSX games sales you guys are really deparate

Dec 12, 1999
PC games have cheap budgets because not very many people buy PC games. EA is not fully supporting PC games anymore because their games are not selling very well.
"I would rather be the first man in a barbarian village then the second man in Rome"-Julius Caesar
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (16 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

RE: Computers, Consoles, Games, and the likes

Dec 12, 1999
I beg to differ that PC Games are selling to well. Why dont you go down and talk to your local best buy or CompUSA. Sorry guys, I have worked a multitude of jobs, and, guess what, Computer and Software Retail was one of them. And take me on faith when I say that computer game sales are doing anything but hurting.

Kakarot:
Concerning the comment about writing a book. No one is forcing you to read it. If you dont want to, then do exactly that. Might explain why you don't know anything. You might be surprised what you can learn by reading. You are going to have to do it sometime, might as well start now.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
183 posts

Dec 12, 1999
I know i didn't say that PC games suck. In fact they're good. But i think it's very stupid to say that PC games are better than console game when consoles are meant for games. Consoles are becoming more and more like PCs. And i'm just nnot talking about DVD. Since this is a ps2 board, i'll use it for an example. It's upgradable, which is a big step towards the PC industry. The ports on the ps2 will allow u to plug in lots of things that computers will plug in such as digital cameras, printers, ect. This is the whole point of ps2, not to move towards a higher level of gaming, but to open up gaming and create multi purpose machines, hence the PC. Face it, consoles are becoming PC's.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
183 posts

Dec 12, 1999
u know, i think kakarot was actually complimenting u in his own way.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
970 posts

Listen I saw a chart a couple months ago Top20game sales from Jan to August only 1 PC game was on it

Dec 12, 1999
I saw a charta couple of months back that have the top 20 highets selling games form Jan to August and only 1PC game made the list and it was WAY down at #17 it was Sim City 300. Listen the facts prove that PC gaming is on its death bead and it will only get worse when the PSX2 comes out.
"I would rather be the first man in a barbarian village then the second man in Rome"-Julius Caesar
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (16 Views)
0 Likes
This widget could not be displayed.
0 posts

Dec 12, 1999
I don't want to insult anyone but I think alex99 and unbiasedsonyfan have the most sense of all the people here and I agree for the most part.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
183 posts

RE: Listen I saw a chart a couple months ago Top20game sales from Jan to August only 1 PC game was o

Dec 12, 1999
i don't think it's on it's death bed but it definatly could use a boost in sales.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (16 Views)
0 Likes
0 posts

Dec 12, 1999
Whoa!!!!!!! What a tear jerking speech! Bravo! Unfortunatlely, your completely wrong. I am also
a veteran video game player of 15 years as well,
and I was one of the first to have the original
Odyssy, Atari, and Nintendo game systems. First of all, when the first game console came out computers were babies with no aspiration of gaming.Computers are meant for
everything but watching movies and game playing, and
that's exactly what P2 specializes in. Also, because
computers are made to do so much, they constantly
crash during game play, not to mention all the specifics
needed to play computers. For example; some games might
need a certain graphics card or speed to even play. Leave games to the consoles. I admit though, that there is one type of game that computers equal and excel at and that is the RPG. But unfortunately, that's it. So withought a doubt, game consoles beat out computers 2 fold. I mean, who wants to see a movie or play a game with a tiny crappy
computer monitor? Leave the gaming industry to the
game console, and business and education with the
computer at least until technology catches up and everything
can be done through multi-component systems, and I venture
to say that that moment is not to far off.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (16 Views)
0 Likes