Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 08 2006
By: U.S.ArmySniper~ Splicer 49 posts

Can you connect the PS2 to your PC monitor?

17 replies 1748 views Edited Jun 8, 2006
I am trying to buy a USB cable so I can watch TV on my PC monitor.
It's the closest I will ever get to playing Socom as a PC game.
If I could connect the PS2 to work with my PC monitor and not the TV, has anybody done this?

I am doing this because my PC monitor has better screen resolution than the TV, obviously.
"Sniper's motto: "Reach out and touch someone."
Sniper's philosophy: "If you run, you'll only die tired."
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 18 (1,748 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1000 posts

Re: Can you connect the PS2 to your PC monitor?

Jun 8, 2006
I was looking through google for an answer to your question and found this. Hope it helps

Re: How to connect PS2 to Monitor?,
Well, I was cruising along and saw this post so i decided to present you with some of the options for doing this..

You can get a sony vga adapter, available as part of the linux kit which has been on the market for several years, note this is only compatable with the PS2, meaning the larger version with the accessory bay in the bottom, as opposed to the PStwo which is the slim design currently available.

Compatible with either model you can get a vga upscan convertor which will plug into your ps2 and allow you to use the monitor for either the ps2 or your computer, at the flip of a switch. some of them require special drivers(a disc you boot the ps2 with that enables the adapter, then prompts for you to insert your ps2 game to continue) while other models rely on the component output. typical price range last time I looked was from $20 up to $100, I would recommend spending around 50-75 because for this type of device I have found you get what you pay for...

as a last resort you can run the signal into your tv tuner card, preferably using the s-video signal. however it by far will be the worst of your options...

as for the audio, most of the upscan converters will have a stereo audio out jack that you can run to your sound cards line-in, or personally i use the optical connection, which tends to be much cleaner sound...

hope this helps get you started, feel free to ask me any questions and i'll answer them as i have time
Socom 3 Name: RandomStranger
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 18 (1,748 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
96 posts

Jun 8, 2006
I use it all the time.  It was about $60.00.  Takes composite or S-video in and VGA out.  Also has a switch to change back and forth between the RCA/S-video inputs and PC.  Been working great for over 2 years!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 18 (1,748 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Jun 8, 2006
gee thanks guys, I tought I was going to get some bad replies but thanks!!!

Message Edited by U.S.ArmySniper on 06-07-2006 08:50 PM

"Sniper's motto: "Reach out and touch someone."
Sniper's philosophy: "If you run, you'll only die tired."
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 18 (1,748 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3059 posts

Jun 8, 2006
This is probably the 10,397,493 time this question has been asked.

THe best way for you to hook your PS2 up to your PC monitor is to use a TV Tuner, like the Leadtek Winfast TV 2000 XP Expert, and Dscaler. You'll get the best results from that combination.
Friends don't let friends buy Bose

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 18 (1,748 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2141 posts

Jun 8, 2006

U.S.ArmySniper wrote:
If I could connect the PS2 to work with my PC monitor and not the TV, has anybody done this?

I am doing this because my PC monitor has better screen resolution than the TV, obviously.

I purchased an AVLink Game Console to PC Monitor Adapter(COMP2VGA) by Startech.

It,works with anything that has S-Video cables, and even has,adapters/cords to where I can keep my computer hooked up(just switch,between the two with a button). It cost me $50 USD when I bought it 3,years ago or so, still works great.

Edit: Nevermind, I checked their Site,and its just over $100 USD. I guess I got it on sale before or,something. Its still a good deal, seeing as how it works on alot of,different things.

Message Edited by Unseen_killa on 06-07-2006 10:29 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Your is possesive You're means "You Are"

There is for a place Their is for people They're means "They are"

Loose
is the opposite of "tight", not the opposite of "win"

These are some of the most common and easy to avoid mistakes. Pay attention!
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 18 (1,748 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
430 posts

Jun 8, 2006
First off, don't get one of the standard RGB or S-Video converters unless you can return it easily. Most of them simulate TV scan lines, so you will get a low resolution TV signal with small scan lines on your monitor.

I use a Redant VGA adapter, which converts the raw PS2 signal straight to high resolution VGA (it actualy plugs into the PS2). I'm not sure you can still buy it, but if you can find one I certainly recommend it.

w00t!
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 18 (1,748 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Jun 8, 2006
I tried just about everything and believe me it's not worth the trouble. I found it much easier to just buy a 20 inch TV and make room for it on my desk next to my PC. When using a tuner card most likely your audio wont sinc up with the video or everything will just run slow and choppy. I tried three different ways/cards and just couldn't get it to work to my satisfaction.

Message Edited by Fanof6 on 06-08-2006 05:50 AM

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 18 (1,748 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6541 posts

Jun 8, 2006
I just use my capture card, that works fine for me.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 18 (1,748 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3598 posts

Jun 8, 2006

,U.S.ArmySniper wrote:

Don't get your hopes up.

The PS2 is designed to run off a TV.  It outputs at normal TV resolutions which is roughly 640x480.  640x480 when stretched to fill your monitor is not going to look great, particularly if you're using an LCD monitor.  LCDs look best when the video resolution matches the monitor's resolution -- one pixel in the video matches up with one pixel on the monitor.  If the resolutions don't match, pixels need to get duplicated to fill the screen which will either make the picture look really blocky or really soft/blurry depending on how the monitor chooses to scale the picture.  Most LCD monitors have native resolutions like 1280x1024.

On top of that, the analog s-video output of the PS2 is no where near as sharp or as clean as a VGA signal.  Your ultra sharp computer monitor is just going to emphasise the flaws in the s-video signal.  The de-interlacing necessary to convert the interlaced output of the PS2 to the progressive scan format of your monitor may also introduce flaws in the picture.

In otherwords, if you want to use your computer monitor because that's all you have or you want to save space... it may be a good idea.  If you're trying to do this to improve the picture quality, or hoping that it will look like a PC computer game... don't waste your time.

Message Edited by Wolffe on 06-08-2006 12:25 PM

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 18 (1,748 Views)
0 Likes