Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
15 posts

Re: PAIN = Utter Rip-off!

Feb 8, 2010

I downloaded PAIN a few months ago when me and some friends got high and wanted to try something new.

We did multiple games of Horse and Fun With Explosives, and we couldn't stop playing it. We tried to find good spots to launch at and tried to get better at the game and set higher scores.

Also it was great that we could play with 4 players only needing one controller (i have 2).

Basicly the most fun you get out of the game is multiplayer, online or local. The singleplayer mode is there to learn your way around the levels and develop your PAIN skills, cause there's more to it than you think.

First I only had Downtown, but i liked the concept of the game so much that I bought the Abusement Park level.

I played it for a long time only having those 2 levels.

Later I bought a PSN Card just to get more content for PAIN, not because I feeled like I had to "complete a game" like you say, but just because I liked the game so much that i was willing to pay some money for new content. And I never felt ripped off.

PAIN is a great game, imo the best PSN game, with bigger replay value than all the other PSN games out there.

So stop complaining here and call some friends to play some horse or fun with explosives and see how it turns out.

And of course not everyone will like the game, but thats with all games, but it's no reason to say the game is a rip off because it has much extra stuff for the ones who like it.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 69 (574 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Feb 11, 2010

Here's the deal. I paid $10 for a game so I expect to be able to do everything in the game I'm presented with. No I can't because I'm required to purchase more content to do a lot of things my $10 purchase asks me to do. This is why I say its a ripoff and it is. If I pay for a game I should be able to perform all tasks within that game I'm presented with, with the content my $10 got me. PAIN doesn't do this as it provides minimal content and I can't complete a lot of the tasks without paying for extra maps and characters.

If I purchased extra maps and characters and then I'm provided with new tasks to accomplish that would be different but to provide me with undoable tasks within the game I paid for is wrong. Its not a question of whether or not the game is fun or not its a question of the game being incomplete with your purchase. Not one PSN Store game will not allow you to complete all tasks or even finish the game unless you buy a ton of other content. So the bottom line is you're paying $10 for an incomplete PAIN demo and in order to make it complete you must spend more money.

All the game consists of is in game tasks (Trophies) that ask you to do certain things which require you to sling shot a person into an object over and over and over and over and over again. That's it, nothing else to the game and its not really even a game its just a physics demo. Now I come upon a huge list of in game tasks (Trophies) I can't do, I can no longer play anymore of the game I paid for already unless I pay more money to complete those tasks. So this is with the in game tasks (Trophies) which you cannot do which also will not allow you to do the majority of external PSN Trophies.

DLC is DLC and should be extra content to do new stuff. PAIN DLC is required DLC to do a lot of stuff within the $10 purchase you already made. Total bull**bleep**! Total ripoff and I'm making sure everyone knows about this and should stay clear of it if you value your gaming dollar.

"I still have an Atari 2600 from 1980 that has never went bad!"
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 69 (574 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1074 posts

Feb 11, 2010

Dude, did you just make an account so you could rant about this game? You only have 14 posts.

Anyways, this is a $10 game.... do you really expect to get the same replay value out of the game (without DLC) as you would a $60 game? If you don't like it, don't play it... simple. You lost $10 in the process, oh well.

I bought the game a few months back and was skeptic at first. But after playing for a while, it really began to grow on me. Once I began to actually enjoy the game, I didn't mind throwing down $6 for a new level and a dollar or two for a few new characters or game modes. Me, my bro, my girlfriend, and my two other friends really enjoy playing this game. But we are also all pretty good at it. What I've realized is the people who complain, in most cases, suck at the game and don't want to put out any effort to get good at it. That's why you always hear "the trophies are too hard to earn", no... they aren't. The trophies that are with the $10 game itself are fairly easy (for the most part) but require some play time to unlock them. As for the DLC trophies, each new DLC level has some trophies that may or may not be linked to specific characters. I know that The Hoff, Flava Flav, Hung Lo, and Santa have trophies (maybe a few others), but most characters aren't required and neither are the bonus game modes like PainBall, The Smack Pack, Speed Oocher, and such.

All I have to say is, you bought it. You should have read reviews and really done your research. I talked to people for months about this game before I decided to buy it and I wasn't disappointed. It's actually one of my favorite PSN games.

Beta tested: Resistance 2, Little Big Planet, Little Big Planet 2, Metal Gear Online, Uncharted 2, ModNation Racers, MAG, and Battle Field Bad Company 2
Deadcell34
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 69 (574 Views)
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Feb 11, 2010

I also want to disagree. This is one of the few games my non-gamer friends enjoy playing when they come over, even before I bought any of the DLC for it, and that alone makes it worth it. It's simple to learn and it's something female gamers (and non gamers) can pick up and enjoy. "We" loved the game enough that there was no question when the very first new environment (Abusement Park) came out, I bought it.  

If your big complaint is "I bought this game to get 100% on the trophies, and having to buy DLC in order to get 100% is unfair!", then I think you're buying games for the wrong reason. You will also soon have a very large list of other games you can call "Rip-offs".

MercuryPDX
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 69 (574 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Feb 11, 2010

What other reason is there to play the game when the only thing there is to do in the game is unlock the in game trophies? Not talking really about external PSN trophies which a lot of games have that require an addon. I'm talking mainly about what the main $10 game won't allow me to do that it asks me to do because I didn't pay for extra content. Like I said if the description of the game warned me that in order to play the game to its fullest I would need to purchase more content then I would have passed on it.

Again its not about the game being fun or not and who cares if your girlfriends or friends like it when they come over to play. They didn't buy it and don't have to buy the extra content to fully play the game. Its a question of hey we're ripping you off for as much money as possible to play a complete game. Why does the $10 game and update actually contain all the characters and maps you can get as the DLC then? You just can't access them and you're only paying for a 100KB unlock when you purchase the DLC. So its not really DLC, it already exists within your $10 purchase you're just forced to pay all this extra money to access it. That is a dirty way of business I'm sorry and you can't point me to any other game that does this. I do not support this company at all.

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 69 (574 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
62 posts

Feb 11, 2010

Kiltron999 wrote:

What other reason is there to play the game when the only thing there is to do in the game is unlock the in game trophies? Not talking really about external PSN trophies which a lot of games have that require an addon. I'm talking mainly about what the main $10 game won't allow me to do that it asks me to do because I didn't pay for extra content. Like I said if the description of the game warned me that in order to play the game to its fullest I would need to purchase more content then I would have passed on it.

Again its not about the game being fun or not and who cares if your girlfriends or friends like it when they come over to play. They didn't buy it and don't have to buy the extra content to fully play the game. Its a question of hey we're ripping you off for as much money as possible to play a complete game. Why does the $10 game and update actually contain all the characters and maps you can get as the DLC then? You just can't access them and you're only paying for a 100KB unlock when you purchase the DLC. So its not really DLC, it already exists within your $10 purchase you're just forced to pay all this extra money to access it. That is a dirty way of business I'm sorry and you can't point me to any other game that does this. I do not support this company at all.

All games that have online VS have this situation.  Period.  For the game experience to be the same for all people online, they all have to have an identical install. Also, a lot of this additional downloaded content has been used in painlabs.  As far as the non purchased characters, you need to have them so you can see other people using them online.

As far as the game showing you 'goals' that you can't get because you haven't bought other levels (or showing the levels in the menus, but then saying 'you must buy me'), I agree that isn't 100% ideal, but they aren't forcing you to buy that.  You got the same game for $9.99 that I got for $9.99.  I'm sorry you don't feel that it was worth that money (or maybe you do?) but you aren't going to convince anyone that it's a Utter Rip-Off.  I paid $60 for Demon's Souls, and think that I got ripped off there, not because of some add-on content thing, but because I didn't enjoy the game.  You weren't told that you'd get 7 environments, 50 game modes, and 20 characters before buying the game.  You were shown that this stuff can be done once you had bought it.

As far as what to do beyond the achievements?  Have you spent any real time playing?  I can **bleep** around in downtown fun with explosives for hours and not get bored.

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 69 (574 Views)
Splicer
62 posts

Feb 11, 2010

RE5 came with add-on content on disc:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/970/970429p1.html

I've seen others do this as well.

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 69 (574 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Feb 11, 2010

Right nobody is forcing me to buy any of the DLC but if I want to play my full $10 game then it requires me to buy DLC which in turn makes my $10 purchase turn into much much more! Understand? Nobody here can put two and two together in how this game was designed for the consumer to spend more than $10 if they want to play the full game?

As for Demon Souls again there's no point in that comparison because there is nothing else you have to purchase to play the entire game. Correct? PAIN "requires" extra purchases to play the full $10 game you paid for. So for your $10 you aren't getting a "complete" game you are getting a demo of it with the option to pay to unlock the rest of the game. First time in the history of video games I've ever seen a developer charge $10 for a demo then 9X that amount for the rest of the game. It doesn't matter if you can mess around for hours doing the same thing, the game is still incomplete and requires more money than just $10 and its false advertising on Sony's part for not saying that you will require extra purchases to play the entire game in the description. If it did I guarantee most consumers would stay clear. I know I would have. Sure $10 is $10 big deal, I spend that at Subway but I don't like being deceived with bait and switch, nickel and dime tactics of developers. Most people don't.

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 69 (574 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1074 posts

Feb 12, 2010

Technically, you bought what used to be THE FULL GAME. The original $10 purchase was the full game before the DLC was released. The DLC for this game is really no different than DLC for any other game. No, you don't get the entire experience but it is optional.

As for your comment about how the game was designed, ofcourse it was designed for the consumer to spend more money... that's the whole idea behind DLC. Look, as far as I'm concerned, PAIN (with all of the DLC) is the equivalent of a full $60 game. In fact, once you get into it, you can spend more time on this game than most other games that you've ever bought (minus some of those HUGE RPG's and FPS games). The game costs a lot with all of it's DLC but you're getting a good bang for your buck if it's a game you enjoy. Everyone here knew before they bought the game that the game came with one level, 3 or 4 variations of that level, a few multiplayer game modes, and two characters.... that's it. I did my research and knew what I was getting into. Worse come to worse, you won't like the game at all and you lost $10 which isn't too bad.... it's better than some of us paying $60 for a game and hating it (like Street Fighter IV, I regret buying it).

I guess the best thing we can do here is agree to disagree. You have your opinion and we have ours. I feel the game is worth every penny I've spent on it, and to be honest... I'm looking forward to the next level to be released, along with some cool new characters and game modes. I'll buy them without a second thought.

As for the RE5 DLC, now that is a rip-off. Heck, the online multiplayer was a rip-off.... it should have been included like every other game. At least PAIN didn't require you to pay for the online mode.

Beta tested: Resistance 2, Little Big Planet, Little Big Planet 2, Metal Gear Online, Uncharted 2, ModNation Racers, MAG, and Battle Field Bad Company 2
Deadcell34
Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 69 (574 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Feb 12, 2010

"At least PAIN didn't require you to pay for the online mode."

Yeah but it sure does require you to spend more to play the full $10 game you already bought. Show me in the description where it says additional purchases required. Some DLC is optional some is totally required that you must buy or you're playing a demo period.

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 69 (574 Views)
0 Likes