Feb 07 2010
By: Kiltron999 Hekseville Citizen 315 posts

PAIN = Utter Rip-off!

68 replies 496 views Edited Feb 7, 2010

Period!

I'm not shelling out over $90 for a full game experience. There aren't even AAA games on the market for that price. You stole my $10, that's all you get.......ever!

"I still have an Atari 2600 from 1980 that has never went bad!"
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 69 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
352 posts

Re: PAIN = Utter Rip-off!

Feb 7, 2010

I felt the same way when I first got PAIN.  However, if you actually spend a bit of time playing what is there for the $10 you spent, rather than focusing on all the extras you didn't get and have to pay for, it's not a bad game.  Plus, there are a few free downloads, and the PAIN Lab has new (free) stuff to try every week or two.

Also, there are different modes and levels you have to unlock by playing and doing well, so give it a chance and it will grow on you like a fungus.  One last thing, I've enjpyed this the most when playing with others, so keep that in mind too.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 69 (496 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Feb 7, 2010

Nah I'm not giving it a chance cause I'll never be able to finish anything.......why you ask? Cause completion of the game/unlocks/trophies etc. require you to absolutely purchase most of the extra content. So like I said if you want the full PAIN game experience expect to pay over $90. F that! I do not agree with paying for an introduction to a game then be expected to buy the rest of the content too.

Can't do most of the trophies cause (it requires you to buy the extra content)

Can't attempt any of the tasks on certain levels (that you had to buy extra) unless you use the right character (which you also have to buy extra)

Completely designed this way to nickel and dime the consumer. Bunch of BS!

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 69 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5181 posts

Feb 7, 2010

Kiltron999 wrote:

Nah I'm not giving it a chance cause I'll never be able to finish anything.......why you ask? Cause completion of the game/unlocks/trophies etc. require you to absolutely purchase most of the extra content. So like I said if you want the full PAIN game experience expect to pay over $90. F that! I do not agree with paying for an introduction to a game then be expected to buy the rest of the content too.

Can't attempt any of the tasks on certain levels (that you had to buy extra) unless you use the right character (which you also have to buy extra)

Yeah PAIN is boring without the extra stuff and you have to pay for the extra stuff. You already bought the game now you have to pay more so you can have fun for more than 5 minutes after purchasing? It's like buying  "The other console". You pay for the console, pay for the game, but if you want to have fun for more than just a few hours you have to pay AGAIN to play online.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 69 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
98 posts

Feb 7, 2010

The game has been out for two years, don't knock them for supporting there game with DLC. We had it since day one and we don't mind paying a buck here and a buck there to keep it fresh. Do the math 90 bucks over two years, hmm about .14 cents a day. Quit being cheap.

Message Edited by Surveydog on 02-07-2010 11:02 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 69 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
352 posts

Feb 7, 2010

Kiltron999 wrote:

Not true.  Again, if you take the time to actually play the game and read some of the requirements, you will see several in-game levels, character outfits, as well as in-game trophies and PSN trophies, can be earned without purchasing a signle add-on.  Yes, you would need to purchase additional DLC if your goal is to get every single trophy for the game, but if that is your only reason for purchasing/playing it then you missed the point again.  For example:

- Affliction Addiction (Gold Trophy) Get One 100 Million Points in Downtown

- Combo Mambo (Bronze Trophy) Get 15x Combo in Paindemonium, Aftermath, Block Party, Demolition

- Constipated (Bronze Trophy) Get 100 strikes in Bowling

- D-Town Destruction (Bronze Trophy) Get 2,000,000 score in Paindemonium and Aftermath

- Grenade-a-Maid (Bronze Trophy) Get Exploded 200 times with any female launchable add-on character (Fat Princess = Free)

- Pain and Mane (Bronze Trophy) Play 100 games of Horse or Trauma

Most of these require quite a bit of play time, but again, they can be earned without spending another penny. However, you do have to unlock some of the levels, like Aftermath, Block Party, etc. by playing and doing well. 

Like the post above stated, the version you got for $10 is the same one people who bought it 3 years ago... actually a little better.  It wouldn't be fair to those people who bought it at launch to have to pay for the add-ons that you apparently expect to get for free.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 69 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Feb 7, 2010

There is one level, you aren't unlocking any levels. You're just unlocking a variation of that level, big difference. The DLC is not "extra content" it is "required" content to do everything the game has to offer. Can I unlock all the unlockables the menu shows me what I need to do? No I cannot because I don't have the Flava Flav model and the others. That requires an extra purchase which is the point I was making in order to play the "full complete game".

Also I'm not cheap at all, I just don't believe in paying $90 for a full game.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 69 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
352 posts

Feb 7, 2010

Kiltron999 wrote:

There is one level, you aren't unlocking any levels. You're just unlocking a variation of that level, big difference. The DLC is not "extra content" it is "required" content to do everything the game has to offer. Can I unlock all the unlockables the menu shows me what I need to do? No I cannot because I don't have the Flava Flav model and the others. That requires an extra purchase which is the point I was making in order to play the "full complete game".

Also I'm not cheap at all, I just don't believe in paying $90 for a full game.

Ummm, yeah, you just described tons of other popular titles, like Bioshock, Borderlands, Fallout 3, Resident Evil 5, Warhawk, Burnout: Paradise, Motostorm: Pacific Rift... you get the point.  Are those "rip-offs" too? 

In each of those games, the game-play remains fairly constant throughout, but the look of the levels change as you progress.  Or as you put it, variations of the same levels, just like in PAIN.  Even if you did get the other levels in PAIN for free, it would just be the same concept in a different place with different targets, so how is that not the same?

The biggest difference between PAIN and those other titles, other than the amount of content (which is fairly proportionate based on price) is the others aren't as blatant about showing you what you are missing by not getting the extra DLC.

Sounds like you are just upset that you can't get some quick/easy trophies for your $10, Since that's the only thing you are really missing out on by not getting the DLC.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 69 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
416 posts

Feb 7, 2010
i was thinking of buying this game but since i read this LOL im not going for it

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 69 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Feb 8, 2010

That makes no sense whatsoever comparing PAIN to Bioshock, Motorstorm etc. Those games do not have 1 level that just changes the position of objects over and over like PAIN does. All the levels are their own levels, all are unique and visually look entirely different. PAIN has 1 "Downtown" map that just switches objects that you hit around in another spot. The level is the same level no matter what "Mode" you're playing. It's still the Downtown map and its the only map you get for your 10 bucks. Granted there are a few FREE extra players you can download but are irrelavant to the ingame accomplishments. Only the "paid for" character models will allow you to complete all the accomplishments along with the extra $5.99 maps and there are a few more required to buy.

Bioshock, Motorstorm etc. doesn't ask me to purchase DLC to complete the game to its fullest. Like I said when you start playing PAIN the first time and your'e looking over the in game accomplishments out of the dozens they are asking you to do (cause that's all the game is about) "Hit 100 explosives", "Get this many points" etc. etc. and I come across one I cannot accomplish unless I go back to the PSN Store and download additional content to me that is BS. Exactly what I'm talking about when I say you are not getting a full game for the $9.99 you are paying. You cannot finish the game unless you purchase the rest of the DLC on the store that equals over $90. It is not "extra" DLC like it is marketed as. It is "required" DLC to do everything in the $9.99 game you paid for.

And yes I'd rather pay $9.99 for a game with less substance and fun to play than a game where the developer tries to take you for a ride and turn your $9.99 purchase into a $90 purchase. I'm not gonna make up stuff about games I play, this is what you're getting when you buy this game and what you're not getting.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 69 (496 Views)
0 Likes