Reply
Splicer
Registered: 11/17/2003
Offline
61 posts
 

Re: all i have to say is...

Nov 17, 2003
sure nothing has happened to nintendo..but if the GBA and GBA SP are their number one selling items, the PSP will definitely hurt their sales
Message 11 of 17 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 06/29/2003
Offline
4920 posts
 

Re: all i have to say is...

Nov 17, 2003

so? that doesn't mean nintendo is gonna go down because PSP hurt their sales?

,

and you can't even say that yet. who knows if PSP will do good or bad against the gameboy?

-----------------------------------------------------------------Online names: MrDizzle or MrDizzle290
GAP Member & EX-MVP
Try putting an Xbox game in your PS2 and see what happens Smiley Happy


"Today, your words should be soft and tender, for tomorrow you may have to eat them"
Message 12 of 17 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 11/17/2003
Offline
61 posts
 

Re: all i have to say is...

Nov 18, 2003
i definitely didnt say they were gonna go down
Message 13 of 17 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 06/23/2003
Offline
73 posts
 

Re: all i have to say is...

Nov 18, 2003
nintendo has took down many other handhelds time for PSP to take them down
Message 14 of 17 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 12/05/2002
Offline
2750 posts
 

Re: all i have to say is...

Nov 18, 2003

Nintendo is not going anywhere.  But, the handheld market (the real one not the market segment that includes cell phones) is Nintendo's cash flow.  They loose money on GCN and they haul in money with GBA.  So if Nintendo loses part of it market that is not great for them.  They still have billions of yen in the bank as assets, but it not liquid capital when you talk about that amount of money.  The second Nintendo touches that money the bank that holds it screams bloody murder.  Also, Nintendo is publicly held and has stock, if they start needing their nest egg money their share price will depress losing Nintendo millions if not billions of yen depending on how much it slides and how much of the stock they hold. 

,


The problem Nintendo has is most people assume Nintendo owns the handheld market 100%.  But, really, the handheld market has been changing and the cell phones, PDA makers, and other handheld makers reap really money. The market share that appeared to be 100% Nintendo’s will get divided even if other handhelds like PSP only capture a small part of the market.  What PSP is doing is ILLUMINATING the handheld market and making people look at it.  Even if PSP captures less than 1% of the market people will stop think Nintendo owns 100% of it.  They will realize Nintendo only really owned 80% of it (the 80% that was making the most money, but that will change too).  

,


The sad fact is even if PSP fails Nintendo has to deal with a new market place.  They have to spend money on GBE, they have to risk alienating users who just bought into GBA in the last few years and now see a new unit coming, and they have to fight the other handheld makers who seem to be entering the market like rats sneaking onto a ship.  Also, an install base is worthless if people don't buy software...that what the base is for it is YOUR pool of buyers.  But, if you buyers stop buying your base is just a number.

,

Want and example of another rat entering Nintendo's ship...

,

News: Gametrac
 November 17, 2003 11:52 PM PST
 Tiger Telematics / BS 
 

,

Another handheld has entered the fray! Recently formed Tiger Telematics (no relation to Game.com makers Tiger Electronics) has announced that they will be releasing a system called the Gametrack, based on the Windows CE operating system. It will have a camera, bluetooth, 3D Mophun gaming (based on synergenix technology, a company they recently acquired), MP3, MPEG-4 video, and GPS. Oddly, there's also a feature that allows parents to track their child through the whereabouts of the device, and the GPS. Thanks to Windows for Devices for the news, and check out some really nice shots of the system there as well. http://www.insertcredit.com/

,

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS7698869181.html

,

Message Edited by Monkey-King on 11-18-2003 03:34 PM

Message Edited by Monkey-King on 11-18-2003 03:37 PM

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stomping on a human face" - George Orwell

"A word and a blow -- And the blow first!" - Scottish Reiver Saying
Message 15 of 17 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 06/29/2003
Offline
2520 posts
 

Re: all i have to say is...

Nov 19, 2003
,
,Monkey-King wrote:
,

Nintendo is not going anywhere.  But, the handheld market (the real one not the market segment that includes cell phones) is Nintendo's cash flow.  They loose money on GCN and they haul in money with GBA.  So if Nintendo loses part of it market that is not great for them.  They still have billions of yen in the bank as assets, but it not liquid capital when you talk about that amount of money.  The second Nintendo touches that money the bank that holds it screams bloody murder.  Also, Nintendo is publicly held and has stock, if they start needing their nest egg money their share price will depress losing Nintendo millions if not billions of yen depending on how much it slides and how much of the stock they hold.  ,


,null,

,

They actually don't lose money on the GCN.  They would have, but they negotiated the price of the components just before the price drop.  Now that GameCubes are flying off the shelf, people are buying the software, and Nintendo expects to report the highest profit this quarter that they've had since the GCN's release.

,

You definitely have the right idea about the stock market... I hate that people trade with their hearts rather than their minds (they use emotion rather than logic).  It makes the market very... bouncy.

,

 

,
,
,Monkey-King wrote: ,

The problem Nintendo has is most people assume Nintendo owns the handheld market 100%.  But, really, the handheld market has been changing and the cell phones, PDA makers, and other handheld makers reap really money. The market share that appeared to be 100% Nintendo’s will get divided even if other handhelds like PSP only capture a small part of the market.  What PSP is doing is ILLUMINATING the handheld market and making people look at it.  Even if PSP captures less than 1% of the market people will stop think Nintendo owns 100% of it.  They will realize Nintendo only really owned 80% of it (the 80% that was making the most money, but that will change too). ,


,null,

,

The thing is that Nintendo effectively does own 100% of the market.  The NeoGeo Pocket, GP32, WonderSwan, N-Gage, Tapwave, and even GameGear all share about 4%.  Four percent divided amongst six handhelds, with the other one handheld taking up 96%... the other handhelds are invisible.

,

I think that the PSP vs. GBE war will definitely be interesting to watch...  Never has anything like this happened...

,

 

,
,
,Monkey-King wrote: ,

The sad fact is even if PSP fails Nintendo has to deal with a new market place.  They have to spend money on GBE, they have to risk alienating users who just bought into GBA in the last few years and now see a new unit coming, and they have to fight the other handheld makers who seem to be entering the market like rats sneaking onto a ship.  Also, an install base is worthless if people don't buy software...that what the base is for it is YOUR pool of buyers.  But, if you buyers stop buying your base is just a number. ,


,
,

Nintendo is prepared to shovel tons of money and labor towards keeping their position at the top.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if the GBE has N64+ graphics with a larger viewable screen, more face buttons, bundled with the next Pokemon game (or whatever), all for $89.  It would solidify their position as number one in this race, if they could do that. 

,

And Nintendo can afford to take that blow.  For example, you know that deliciously perfect game coming out called "Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicals?"  It wasn't funded by Square-Enix.  It was funded entirely by Nintendo, through a program called Fund Q.  This is the kind of money they have to spare.  Games are not cheap to make.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Wupideedoo
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IN NEED OF MEMBERS! Fanboy free forums can be found here.
Message 16 of 17 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/11/2005
Offline
4236 posts
 

Re: all i have to say is...

Dec 28, 2005
You got that right nintendo got destroyed!,
=)
Message 17 of 17 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes