Feb 12 2009
By: SagmonJones Splicer 50 posts

Where are the games?

11 replies 0 views Edited Feb 12, 2009

Hello, everyone.  I am relatively new to the forums and was wondering if I could maybe get a bit of insight on a topic?  Okay I have recently purchased my first PSP it is the 3000 series.  I have not owned a handheld gaming device since the Sega GameGear.  Always been more of a console guy and I don't travel very much to were I would need one.  Owning all three previous Sony consoles (PS1, PS2, and PS3) I decided I would get back into the handheld market with the PSP.  So I took the plung! 

I have to say as a device I love the thing.  Its a very nice device indeed.  Honestly though many of the features will not be used such as : Skype, Music, and a few others.  I will use the photo, video a bit and the web browser as well.  Mainly because I have an ipod for music.  So that being said.  I bought mainly for gaming on the go.  I have downloaded 2 titles fom the PS3 and copied to my PSP (Puzzle Quest, Suikoden)  I also purchased FF VII : Crisis Core new.

Now I have seen the sales numbers and the PSP sold over a million units in December and must still be moving well because it took me about 6 different rretailers before finding one in stock.  So then I looked into the games and most big retailers (i.e. Wal-Mart, Target, ect) had only a handful of titles to choose from, most of which didn't peak my interest.  So I decided I would go to a game store (i.e. GameStop, EB, ect.) only to discover they only had a handful new and I would guess maybe 15-20 used titles total.  This was at 4 different locations as well. 

So after that long drawn out story (Sorry about that!) my question remains.  Where are all the games? I know they exist I have heard of them or seen them on occasion.  Why are retailers not caring more product?  I mean typuically Wal-Mart will carry a game in stock for months or even years after it initial release date for PS3, PS2, XBOX360, ect.  However there seems to be no PSP titles available anywhere.  Do people simply not trade in PSP games as often because of the portability?  I mean the numbers prove that the PSP is doing quite well yet I can't find games to buy. 

Thanks for reading folks and your comments are very welcome and anticipated.  Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
474 posts

Re: Where are the games?

Feb 12, 2009

I really hate to say it, but the PSP right now is suffering form a lack of software.  The reason for this, well I've heard many diffrent takes on why.

1.  Piracy.  There are still people trying to get games illegally and it's costing developers money.

2.  Sony not pushing the console.  Sony's main focus is trying to drive PS3 sales.

It's a shame since the PSP is the second most sold console this generation, only the DS beats it.  There is hope however, with Resistence, a new Final Fantasy, and other great games coming out.

Just like life, video games has those moments when everything is a breeze and then there are those moments where everything seems impossible. However, there is always a way to get through those seemingly impossible tasks.

Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
95 posts

Feb 12, 2009
Wal-Mart, Target, and Bestbuy only carry a handful of titles, about 20. My local Gamestops (there are 4 within 8 minutes of my house) usually carry around 50-75 PSP games, maybe more. I almost always find the game i'm looking for. Do you have a Game Crazy nearby? They usually carry 25-35 PSP games.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (0 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1098 posts

Feb 12, 2009

Re: Where are the games?At stores.

One Word : Sexy
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (0 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1992 posts

Feb 12, 2009

Louielouie3 wrote:

I really hate to say it, but the PSP right now is suffering form a lack of software.  The reason for this, well I've heard many diffrent takes on why.

1.  Piracy.  There are still people trying to get games illegally and it's costing developers money.

2.  Sony not pushing the console.  Sony's main focus is trying to drive PS3 sales.

It's a shame since the PSP is the second most sold console this generation, only the DS beats it.  There is hope however, with Resistence, a new Final Fantasy, and other great games coming out.

AND the DS only beats it because kids get more "push" than teen/young adults (Sometimes they're spoiled).  We're expected to magically have money, even if we can't get a job yet.  And a lot of adults are too busy to play with anything

Message Edited by spyro76 on 02-12-2009 03:27 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
751 posts

Feb 13, 2009
lol to last post
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Feb 13, 2009

SagmonJones wrote:

Hello, everyone.  I am relatively new to the forums and was wondering if I could maybe get a bit of insight on a topic?  Okay I have recently purchased my first PSP it is the 3000 series.  I have not owned a handheld gaming device since the Sega GameGear.  Always been more of a console guy and I don't travel very much to were I would need one.  Owning all three previous Sony consoles (PS1, PS2, and PS3) I decided I would get back into the handheld market with the PSP.  So I took the plung! 

I have to say as a device I love the thing.  Its a very nice device indeed.  Honestly though many of the features will not be used such as : Skype, Music, and a few others.  I will use the photo, video a bit and the web browser as well.  Mainly because I have an ipod for music.  So that being said.  I bought mainly for gaming on the go.  I have downloaded 2 titles fom the PS3 and copied to my PSP (Puzzle Quest, Suikoden)  I also purchased FF VII : Crisis Core new.

Now I have seen the sales numbers and the PSP sold over a million units in December and must still be moving well because it took me about 6 different rretailers before finding one in stock.  So then I looked into the games and most big retailers (i.e. Wal-Mart, Target, ect) had only a handful of titles to choose from, most of which didn't peak my interest.  So I decided I would go to a game store (i.e. GameStop, EB, ect.) only to discover they only had a handful new and I would guess maybe 15-20 used titles total.  This was at 4 different locations as well. 

So after that long drawn out story (Sorry about that!) my question remains.  Where are all the games? I know they exist I have heard of them or seen them on occasion.  Why are retailers not caring more product?  I mean typuically Wal-Mart will carry a game in stock for months or even years after it initial release date for PS3, PS2, XBOX360, ect.  However there seems to be no PSP titles available anywhere.  Do people simply not trade in PSP games as often because of the portability?  I mean the numbers prove that the PSP is doing quite well yet I can't find games to buy. 

Thanks for reading folks and your comments are very welcome and anticipated.  Thanks again.

I felt the same way. I purchased my PSP shortly before Christmas knowing the game development was lacking behind consoles. However, there's a big catalog of old games. Of the 5 games I have, 3 of them are came out over 2 years ago. And, having no console since 2007, I wanted to get back into gaming. I enjoy the multimedia aspect of the system and having access to PSN content. Hopefully, Sony and game developers will soon have more games on the market for every gamers taste.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3565 posts

Feb 14, 2009

SagmonJones wrote:

I don't know where you're from, but my local Fry's store in Arlington, Texas has a serious bundle of games and even video UMD at a resonable price.  You could however even download PSP titles by means of the PSN acount or order online.  Try www.frys.com good luck and lots of fun ....
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5292 posts

Feb 14, 2009
amozon carrys some games and if ya want some games the usa dosen't have you can get them from englands HMV. only thing about getting games from england is they cost ALOT more due to the lousy dollar. you can get any game online egghead..ect. my gamestop has alot and the bestbuy near me has a good amount. kmarts and stores like that have crap. oh and the web browser on the psp is junk,lol. sony is really messing up the psp here in the us. have fun,it's a great little toy,lol.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
734 posts

Feb 14, 2009
Well my purchase of the 3000 is due for the movies, here in Canada there is almost nothing except best buy or futurshop who sales some. I m talking about umd. So I order some from internet and until now I got what I wanted. So go on the internet and shop.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (0 Views)