Jul 16 2009
By: u_r_f1ni5hed Lombax Warrior 184 posts

PSP GO! Vs. PSP 3000; The REAL Showdown

23 replies 18818 views Edited Jul 16, 2009

There's been a lot of talk about chosing between the Go! and other systems. A whole lot of people are having trouble deciding. I've researched the PSP GO! and the 3000, and I am now going to compare them in this short article.

PSP GO!

Overview:

PSP Go!

It actually looks pretty radical. 

Strengths:

• Portability
  • Flip Screen
  • Volume latch

Weaknesses 

• No AV/Remote Control Jack
  • Smaller Screen

• No UMD Door 

Memory:

Strengths: 

• 16 GB of Internal Flash Memory.
  • Up to 32GB of portable media.
  • Better for updates, downloadable games, movies, and hopefully more.
  • Memory Stick Micro compatible

Weaknesses:

• None so far... 

Problems:

Most people are saying that the incapability to play UMD's is a real problem the Go!. Well, Yeah, it is. The PlayStation Store doesn't have many games, but I'm sure (and I hope) that there will be more games in the online store in the future. Besides, Sony will eventually rid of all games in others stores, so we'll pretty much have to buy the Go! while prices are still low.

Another problem that the Go! faces is it's small screen. It is almost half the size of the 3000's. That makes it harder to play games, and watch videos.

Some Players are complaining that some things on the go! are too small, like the buttons, screen, and latches. that can be a real problem.

Conclusion:

My conclusion on the PSP Go! is this, It's portable. lightweight, good for downloading media, and may even support the latest version of Flash Player. Having said that, there's not all good things to say about it. No UMD door, Tiny screen, High price, are all dilemmas that the Go! will face. I personally think that the Go! will make a fine addition to the PlayStation family. My Grade for it; B.

PSP 3000 

Overview: 

Strengths:

• Larger High-Contrast LCD screen
  • UMD Door
  • Volume buttons 

Weaknesses:

None so far...

Memory:

Strengths: 

• Up to 32 GB of portable media
  • Memory Stick Duo/Pro Duo

Weaknesses:

64 MB of Internal Flash memory

Conclusion

The PlayStation not-so Portable 3000 System is great for Playing games and watching videos. There not good at downloads though. Yet the PSP 3000 has made it to the family with a BANG. So I give it a B+. 

The PSP Go! is a little better than the PSP 3000 because it can do everything the 3000 can do, plus more. I say, as long as you have PSP Go! money, you should buy the go. I know I'm getting one. I hope this article helped. 

Message 1 of 24 (18,818 Views)
Wastelander
830 posts

Re: PSP GO! Vs. PSP 3000; The REAL Showdown

Jul 16, 2009

RedArmy93 wrote:
All PSP's that came after the 1000 series have 64mb of internal memory. So if it is a weakness, it goes for the Go too. None of the PSP's is any more portable than the next. None of them are too heavy, or too big to not be portable. Portability is not a strength of the PSP Go, since it is as portable as any other PSP. Also, the screen is not half the size on the go, it is .5" smaller than the 3000's, nothing more nothing less. Though it does seem a little too much on the small side when compared side by side.

Well said.

Message 2 of 24 (18,818 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7522 posts

Jul 16, 2009
All PSP's that came after the 1000 series have 64mb of internal memory. So if it is a weakness, it goes for the Go too. None of the PSP's is any more portable than the next. None of them are too heavy, or too big to be portable. Portability is not a strength of the PSP Go, since it is as portable as any other PSP. Also, the screen is not half the size on the go, it is .5" smaller than the 3000's, nothing more nothing less. Though it does seem a little too much on the small side when compared side by side.
Message Edited by RedArmy93 on 07-16-2009 03:24 AM
Photobucket
Message 3 of 24 (18,818 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

Jul 16, 2009

RedArmy93 wrote:
All PSP's that came after the 1000 series have 64mb of internal memory. So if it is a weakness, it goes for the Go too. None of the PSP's is any more portable than the next. None of them are too heavy, or too big to be portable. Portability is not a strength of the PSP Go, since it is as portable as any other PSP. Also, the screen is not half the size on the go, it is .5" smaller than the 3000's, nothing more nothing less. Though it does seem a little too much on the small side when compared side by side.

I think his point was that the Go! is smaller/lighter then previous models so it is easy to port around. I can't imagine you thought he was saying that a PlayStation Portable wasn't portable?

Message 4 of 24 (18,818 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7522 posts

Jul 16, 2009

Rabnnod wrote:

RedArmy93 wrote:

I think his point was that the Go! is smaller/lighter then previous models so it is easy to port around. I can't imagine you thought he was saying that a PlayStation Portable wasn't portable?

It is only a fraction lighter and smaller than the 3000. But all in all, you can take any model of PSP anywhere and play it. They are the same when it comes to where you can go with it.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 24 (18,818 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1512 posts

Jul 16, 2009
Also the Go has a crisper screen, the UMD drive is not a weakness of the Go, it is a positive for me. For downloadable games, you are completely wrong.  When the Go releases, all new titles and many previous ones will be available to be downloaded off the PSP section of the PS store.  I see this article as biased and not fuly informed.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 24 (18,818 Views)
Wastelander
874 posts

Jul 16, 2009

u_r_f1ni5hed wrote:

There's been a lot of talk about chosing between the Go! and other systems. A whole lot of people are having trouble deciding. I've researched the PSP GO! and the 3000, and I am now going to compare them in this short article.

PSP GO 

It actually looks pretty radical. 

Strengths:

• Portability
  • Flip Screen
  • Volume latch

Weaknesses  

• No AV/Remote Control Jack
  • Smaller Screen 
  • No UMD Door 

Memory:

Strengths:  

• 16 GB of Internal Flash Memory.
  • Up to 32GB of portable media.
  • Better for updates, downloadable games, movies, and hopefully more.
  • Memory Stick Micro compatible

Weaknesses: 

• None so far... 

Good comparison. But No AV? It has an AV port, otherwise they would not be selling new Composite 
and Component AV cables for the PSP Go. 

And another strength for the Go is the Bluetooth.
Message Edited by joseph2411 on 07-16-2009 08:51 AM

Follow me on Twitter @joseph2411
Message 7 of 24 (18,818 Views)
First Son
22 posts

Jul 16, 2009

I must start by saying that this review does not seem very acurate or complete.

The Go has bluetooth for one (as the poster above me ,entioned) that you did not at all.

From what i understand the Go has a Docking port for all extra periphials to work through (charging, usb, Av cables, etc).  So it does still have those features, just need to buy new ones.

The Go and the 1000-3000 will all be able to use the same downloadable content (as far as ive heard) so the Go is no better at downloading, updating, or any of that.

Then for your conclusion, u rate the Go at B and 3000 at B+ yet recommend the Go despite it being $80 more?  Doesnt make sence to me.

I have a 2000 and dont plan on upgrading but i think that the Go is a better design but not worth the price.

Just my opinions

Message 8 of 24 (18,818 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

Jul 16, 2009

RedArmy93 wrote:

Rabnnod wrote:

RedArmy93 wrote:

It is only a fraction lighter and smaller than the 3000. But all in all, you can take any model of PSP anywhere and play it. They are the same when it comes to where you can go with it.

If by a fraction you mean 43% lighter then sure. Thats only about half as much. Not arguing that the 1k, 2k, 3k series is not portable but the weight difference between the models is very noticable.

Message 9 of 24 (18,818 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 16, 2009

Think they have let themselves down by not having a touch screen. This makes a massive difference for web and data input. Also - any sign of Mac support? Its becoming a very popular platform now and shouldn't be ignored.

Message 10 of 24 (18,818 Views)
0 Likes