Uncharted Territory
1745 posts

Re: Here is the best shot the Sony PSP2 has at winning the next gen portable war

Aug 22, 2010

APVangeliLHS wrote:

Techni wrote:

Wakefulness wrote:

Keeping in mind design and functionality. Which is more fitting for a portable device? 

Sony made that decision already with PSP, they went with UMD due to cost. That reason hasn't gone away. Given Sony's history of using optical, what seems most likely?

They went with UMD instead of flash memory because it was expensive six years ago. Things have changed some. It's still more expensive than the disc, but it's REALLY cheap compared to six years ago.

And what history exactly?

The PS1 used discs because it did. I don't really know why. Flash was retardedly expensive back then though.

The PS2 used discs because it boasted a DVD player, something no other had at the time.

The PS3 used discs for a similar reason, it got Bluray. The future of discs. You make people spend $600 on a new console to completely ignore it's major selling point?

The PSP however is portable. UMD is not it's selling point. Portable mini-disc players were cool in 2002. We are now in 2010. Soon to be 2011. Flash is infinitely less expensive every year. Two years ago a 1GB memory card was $30. Now you can't even find them in stores. The next size up is 2GB, and that's less than $10. It is definitely a future. It has much more benefits.

Acutally 2gb is $24 in the cheaper scandisc model in a store anyway, online I seen them for $13 but then u run a risk of getting a fake.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=39435

256mb is still 7 dollars

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=38149

Gamestop has all sizes even the 32mb ones LOL

Please use plain text.
Message 141 of 161 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2966 posts

Re: Here is the best shot the Sony PSP2 has at winning the next gen portable war

Aug 22, 2010

p4s2p0 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

Techni wrote:

Wakefulness wrote:

Keeping in mind design and functionality. Which is more fitting for a portable device? 

Sony made that decision already with PSP, they went with UMD due to cost. That reason hasn't gone away. Given Sony's history of using optical, what seems most likely?

They went with UMD instead of flash memory because it was expensive six years ago. Things have changed some. It's still more expensive than the disc, but it's REALLY cheap compared to six years ago.

The PS1 used discs because it did. I don't really know why. Flash was retardedly expensive back then though.

The PS2 used discs because it boasted a DVD player, something no other had at the time.

The PS3 used discs for a similar reason, it got Bluray. The future of discs. You make people spend $600 on a new console to completely ignore it's major selling point?

The PSP however is portable. UMD is not it's selling point. Portable mini-disc players were cool in 2002. We are now in 2010. Soon to be 2011. Flash is infinitely less expensive every year. Two years ago a 1GB memory card was $30. Now you can't even find them in stores. The next size up is 2GB, and that's less than $10. It is definitely a future. It has much more benefits.

Acutally 2gb is $24 in the cheaper scandisc model in a store anyway, online I seen them for $13 but then u run a risk of getting a fake.

256mb is still 7 dollars

Wow i guess you really dont shop around. Here is a link for you that even has better prices http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sony+memory+stick+p...

From the many pages of memory sticks, it shows that most 2gb memory sticks range from $6.50 all the way up to $20 the majority are around $14.

If you look there are many sony memory sticks of various capasities and i can say there are some cheap memory sticks and they are official sony branded sticks. So shall i give more links to other websites that pretty much show better prices then you posted or are you finnaly going to understand that flash cards/memory sticks are cheap enough to be a viable replacement to the umd.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.
Please use plain text.
Message 142 of 161 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1745 posts

Aug 22, 2010

Wikiality wrote:

Please don't cite Gamestop's ridiculously high prices...

A 2GB SD card shipped to the USA actually costs $7 retail when not on sale. http://www.meritline.com/kingston-2gb-secure-digital-sd-card---p-18629.aspx

And I regularly (on a biweekly basis) see that same 2gb sd card discounted to $4.49 at meritline.

And this is the retail price, and includes the cost of having it shipped to the USA (which isn't cheap).

In South Korea and China, you can regularly get 2gb sticks for the equivalent of $2-3.

The actual manufacturing cost for a 2GB SD card is probably under a $1. For a game being sold for $40. Spending $1 on the storage medium isn't bad at all.

But then u run the risk of getting a fake most people only buy them in a store to avoid such problems. I bought a card from amazon and it was fake.

If psp switched to flash they could get the cheapest memory available and not be very durable

Please use plain text.
Message 143 of 161 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
476 posts

Aug 22, 2010

Please don't cite Gamestop's ridiculously high prices...

A 2GB SD card shipped to the USA costs $5.65 (when bought in sets of 3x) RETAIL when NOT on sale.http://www.meritline.com/kingston-2gb-secure-digital-sd-card---p-18629.aspx

And I regularly (on a biweekly basis) see that same 2gb sd card discounted to $4.49 at meritline.

I bought one for around that price from meritline almost two years ago, and it works perfectly. I still use it to store and quickly transport my documents and my favorite songs.

And this is the retail price, and includes the cost of having it shipped to the USA (which isn't cheap).

In South Korea and China, you can regularly get 2gb sticks for the equivalent of $2.

The actual manufacturing cost for a 2GB SD card is about a $1. For a game being sold for $40. Spending $1 on the storage medium isn't bad at all. Well worth the much better battery life, much faster read speeds, greatly reduced load times, the ability to download and store DLC and updates to the game, saves etc on the stick as well. and noise and space saved on the PSP2 itself.

SD cards are incredibly cheap and would be a very viable media to store games and movies on. I even picked up a 4gb one for $5 retail (it was on sale) recently.

Please use plain text.
Message 144 of 161 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
476 posts

Aug 22, 2010

It's a 2GB SD card. And one that works just fine.

I bought that same one from meritline for around that price almost 2 years ago. And it works perfectly. And it's blazing fast. I can upload my entire favorite music folder (1.7 gbs) onto my computer in less than a minute. Even to this day, I still use it to quickly transport my documents and favorite songs.

I don't know if it's made form Kingston or by some no name company. But it's still a 2gb SD card, it still works perfectly, and it is very fast. And in Korea and China, that same card is half the price, retail. So the cost to make a 2gb SD card is clearly very cheap. Sony would be making the cards themselves so it would be even cheaper for them.

Please use plain text.
Message 145 of 161 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1745 posts

Aug 22, 2010

Naquiel wrote:

p4s2p0 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

Techni wrote:

Wakefulness wrote:

256mb is still 7 dollars

Wow i guess you really dont shop around. Here is a link for you that even has better prices http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sony+memory+stick+p...

From the many pages of memory sticks, it shows that most 2gb memory sticks range from $6.50 all the way up to $20 the majority are around $14.

If you look there are many sony memory sticks of various capasities and i can say there are some cheap memory sticks and they are official sony branded sticks. So shall i give more links to other websites that pretty much show better prices then you posted or are you finnaly going to understand that flash cards/memory sticks are cheap enough to be a viable replacement to the umd.

I already got a fake from amazon. They are definitely cheaper now, but I still see flash as a downgrade not upgrade. I bet publishsers would buy the cheapest memory making them not very durable

Please use plain text.
Message 146 of 161 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
476 posts

Aug 22, 2010

How exactly are they not durable.

And how would they be a downgrade?

Even the lowest specced SD cards have faster read speeds than a UMD. And I think Sony would mandate all devs use a fast SD card to further diminish load times. And it uses barely any power at all compared to a UMD's power usage.

So how in god's name is that a downgrade?

Please use plain text.
Message 147 of 161 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
100 posts

Aug 22, 2010

Class 1 is 8 megabits per second

UMD is 11

With every system Sony makes, they make the drive faster

Using the same motor speed, by switching to bluray, UMD2 would load 5 times faster than UMD

• Class 4: 32 Mbit/s
  • Class 6: 48 Mbit/s
  • UMD2 would be 55 Mbits/s
  • Class 10: 80 Mbit/s
You'd need class 10 minimum
Please use plain text.
Message 148 of 161 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2966 posts

Aug 22, 2010

p4s2p0 wrote:

Naquiel wrote:

p4s2p0 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

Techni wrote:

Wakefulness wrote:

256mb is still 7 dollars

I already got a fake from amazon. They are definitely cheaper now, but I still see flash as a downgrade not upgrade. I bet publishsers would buy the cheapest memory making them not very durable

Well if you got a fake from amazon, that means you should of bought a lottery ticket because that doent happen much. On ebay, fake memorys sticks can be found all over, but not much on amazon.

But if you see flash as a downgrade and not a upgrade then thats your opinion, but if sony desides to go with flash based media for any future psp, then its sonys choice and we the customers will have to accept it. as for the memory sticks, it would mostly be sonys brand of memory sticks because i dont think sony wants to give money over to some other companies product.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.
Please use plain text.
Message 149 of 161 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
100 posts

Aug 22, 2010

You keep saying customers have to accept it like they dont have a choice in buying it.

Customers didn't accept the Go, they didn't accept the Virtual Boy, they didn't accept the GBA micro

Please use plain text.
Message 150 of 161 (19 Views)
0 Likes