Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Splicer
77 posts

Re: Donating a PSP for Christmas in the Philippines...

Sep 2, 2009

When growing up in a country, such as USA, you learn to be selfish while being a spoiled brat. I spent my 4th, 5th, and 6th grade in North Chicago, Illinois, USA. Being a half-Filipino & half-White American in schools with dominated Black Americans is extremely difficult. My dad got me whatever I wanted, despite the clothing I had to wear.

In America, many people are spoiled by the availability of entertainment technology. Also, while growing up in America, people have become so stubborn enough that selfish attitudes set in. People that claim "this is POINTLESS" was generally raised as a spoiled brat like I was. When people from other countries hear that donating an entertainment technology device, such as a PSP, is "pointless," that shows a BAD IMAGE of AMERICA.

Here in Philippines, children feel Americans are GENEROUS. However, when they hear that Americans won't donate toys to Philippine children because Americans feels that idea is pointless, Philippine children will grow up hating America.

Most Philippine children here, unlike children in America, grow up in a BORING life. They're generally stuck watching rerun cartoons on TV or getting into mischief. They don't have the freedom to experience electronic entertainment like the children in America. There are way too many luxuries in America, most of which many children can't and won't experience.

Ever since I started my new life here in Philippines, in 2006, I began to see other views of America, without the US Government control biasing of the media. The US Government does try its best to hide the dirty laundry of America, but citizens generate more dirty laundry, causing America to have a bad image.

To those that believe donating a PSP is pointless, how does America look from poverty children of other countries when they hear, "Americans feel giving PSPs to poverty stricken children in foreign countries, is pointless." - Children will begin having bad thoughts about America and Americans.

What's really funny here is that the CDC recently reported that people who play video games are more depressed... It's more depressing when a Filipino child sees someone else playing a PSP knowing they will never ever have a PSP in their hands. America has all the luxuries they can ever dream about, and some feel sharing their luxuries with children in other countries, is pointless.

As experienced in America, most Americans don't donate to charities. Webservers used to be free access with donations, but since nobody donates, advertisements have to included with services. Most Americans looks for Free Handouts and give nothing in return. I'm seen that in front of stores, such as Wal-Mart and K-Mart. The image that Americans won't donate, is viewed in TV Shows and Movies. Americans are viewed as "Rich and Greedy," rather than generous.

For those that enjoy playing your PSP in public, how would you feel if children wanted to see what you're playing and looked over your shoulder? Would you tell them to "go away"? I have witnessed that in Seattle, Washington, USA, in March 2008. 

Anyways, if everyone, worldwide, stopped donating, what would the world be like, today?

BTW, the PSP is more popular than Nintendo and Microsoft gaming consoles, here in Philippines. The donation of PSPs to children of the Philippines, will increase children's interest in America, rather than distracting it. While Filipino children have clothes to wear and food to eat, they feel unfortunate seeing a "few" people playing games on their PSP. In America, there are even homeless people playing games on their PSP.

Do USA-based police officers still give Teddy Bears to young children? Since principal for the PSP...

Happy PSP-3001 Owner with System Software 6.31
Heavy User of Skype on PSP (Kuya.Marc) and Internet Radio
Favorite Games: Namco Museum Battle Collection, Sudoku, Work Time Fun
Pasig Pac-Man's Blog
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 37 (12 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7522 posts

Sep 2, 2009
I agree with PasigMacros. How is giving something that is not used to someone who wants it pointless? It is actually pointless not to give it since it will just lie around being useless. Sure food is needed more than entertainment, but then life is boring, letting kids have some fun is not a bad thing is it?
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 37 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
133 posts

Sep 2, 2009

Hey pasigmarcos I have some philipino friends and they all have psp's

not contradicting you just saying...

I ask them about that kind of problem in the philipines

they said that there were a lot of poor kids

by the way if you know the philipines history 

you must know magelan(old explorer)

one of my friends is the desendant of the guy who killed

magelan.

Awsome isn't it?

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 37 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
601 posts

Sep 3, 2009

west69marc wrote:

Hey pasigmarcos I have some philipino friends and they all have psp's

not contradicting you just saying...

I ask them about that kind of problem in the philipines

they said that there were a lot of poor kids

by the way if you know the philipines history 

you must know magelan(old explorer)

one of my friends is the desendant of the guy who killed

magelan.

Awsome isn't it?

That's pretty much all we're known for:

We shanked Magellan with a spear!

xD

"I don't really want to stop the show, but I thought you'd might like to know that the singer's gonna sing a song, and he wants you all to sing along. So let me introduce to you the one and only: Billy Shears and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 37 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2243 posts

Sep 3, 2009
I would hope that the organization that keeps track of such donations only gives these psps to kids in poor families but aren't necessarily suffering from poverty. For those that are in need of basic shelter, food or clothing to survive, maybe there should be a fundraiser or auction to sell the used psp for charity purposes and buy some essential supplies instead of a entertainment system that will only be re-sold. 

What i'm even more concerned is how expensive PS products are in Asia. For example, the PSP sells for more in China than what it does here overseas after you do the currency exchange. You'd think that it would be cheaper because it's manufactured there but somehow sony manages to put up an expensive price tag just because they know they can, forcing those desiring one to resort to other systems, often cheap and with hacked firmware. If only would they sell old 1000/2000 models in second/third world to clear stocks then we might actually see a rise in customers buying the products at a reasonable price that wouldn't break their bank. 
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 37 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Sep 3, 2009

PasigMarcos wrote:

Ok, I'm now living in Philippines... Soon after I bought my wife's 9 year old nephew his own PSP-1001, the jealousy started among the children of my exterior families.

Jaggie, a 9 year old male cousin, received a PSP-1001 from one of his relatives, after drooling over Josh's PSP. Jaggie's PSP-1001 is in bad condition, but at least, I wasn't involved in that decision making.

Now, aunt Patty wants to get a PSP for her 8 year old daughter, instead of a new cellphone.

The PlayStation Portables aren't cheap here! I have to pay my Immigration taxes, so I can't buy any more PSPs. The PSP-1001 sells 2nd hand for over 7,000 pesos. The parents of needy children can only afford, maybe 3,000 for a PSP for their child.

I know, for a fact, that their are so many PSP-1001 consoles that are not being used in America. Why not send those unused PSP consoles to third world countries such as Philippines. I would suggest each PSP has a UMD game intended for children, such as Daxter.

As Christmas is approaching, this would be a great idea to push onto the Bantay Bata Foundation of ABS-CBN North America. ABS-CBN's headquarters is in Quezon City, Philippines. ABS-CBN North America division is in Burlingame, California.

Honestly, I often wonder, how many unused, working PSP gaming consoles exist in the USA. Will many be found in thrift stores? Or are kids just destroying them like I've seen in YouTube?  I wonder what a USA-nationwide scavenger hunt come up with...

Imagine seeing boxes and boxes of working PSPs going to Philippines, to needy children. I strongly doubt Sony would do something about that, but it doesn't have to be Sony that does it. Just an anonymous donation to Bantay Bata at ABS-CBN North America would work.

I make this post out of a sincere heart. This is NOT spam and should not be considered as spam. Christmas is only three months away. Many children here, in Philippines, will never be able to put their hands on a PSP.

I would buy my wife's aunt a PSP if I could afford it. That only one would be happy, would make me happy. I know making a donation to Bantay Bata is a tax deductable in the USA.

By the way, if everyone here, in PlayStation Board can see the faces of young children when they look at my PSP, and they don't have one, many will understand what I go through. Just because I'm American does not mean I'm rich. I often wish I had a bunch of PSPs to hand out to needy of children, and I wouldn't give to children whose parents can afford to buy one.

It's only my opinions here.

Posts like these are useless. Dont kudos ppl like these, because most likely, you are a liar.
c-mac13
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 37 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Sep 3, 2009
Please tell me, what the HELL would the OP gain from making up such a fabricated lie?

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 37 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
830 posts

Sep 3, 2009

Velvet_Pilot wrote:
Please tell me, what the HELL would the OP gain from making up such a fabricated lie?

can't wait til they add negative kudos
if there were negative kudos i would use 1 on your post 

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 37 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
133 posts

Sep 3, 2009

georgecat315fat wrote:

Velvet_Pilot wrote:

georgecat315fat wrote:

Velvet_Pilot wrote:

georgecat315fat wrote:

Velvet_Pilot wrote:

Why are you saying that!! He may be lying but he is giving us his personal info

it's for a reason so i don't think he's lying

he's a good person tryng to help some kids who have less money than us...

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 37 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Sep 3, 2009

georgecat315fat wrote:

And there isn't such a feature, so your post is completely useless.

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 37 (12 Views)
0 Likes