Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 01 2009
By: PasigMarcos Splicer 77 posts

Donating a PSP for Christmas in the Philippines...

36 replies 18 views Edited Sep 1, 2009

Ok, I'm now living in Philippines... Soon after I bought my wife's 9 year old nephew his own PSP-1001, the jealousy started among the children of my exterior families.

Jaggie, a 9 year old male cousin, received a PSP-1001 from one of his relatives, after drooling over Josh's PSP. Jaggie's PSP-1001 is in bad condition, but at least, I wasn't involved in that decision making.

Now, aunt Patty wants to get a PSP for her 8 year old daughter, instead of a new cellphone.

The PlayStation Portables aren't cheap here! I have to pay my Immigration taxes, so I can't buy any more PSPs. The PSP-1001 sells 2nd hand for over 7,000 pesos. The parents of needy children can only afford, maybe 3,000 for a PSP for their child.

I know, for a fact, that their are so many PSP-1001 consoles that are not being used in America. Why not send those unused PSP consoles to third world countries such as Philippines. I would suggest each PSP has a UMD game intended for children, such as Daxter.

As Christmas is approaching, this would be a great idea to push onto the Bantay Bata Foundation of ABS-CBN North America. ABS-CBN's headquarters is in Quezon City, Philippines. ABS-CBN North America division is in Burlingame, California.

Honestly, I often wonder, how many unused, working PSP gaming consoles exist in the USA. Will many be found in thrift stores? Or are kids just destroying them like I've seen in YouTube?  I wonder what a USA-nationwide scavenger hunt come up with...

Imagine seeing boxes and boxes of working PSPs going to Philippines, to needy children. I strongly doubt Sony would do something about that, but it doesn't have to be Sony that does it. Just an anonymous donation to Bantay Bata at ABS-CBN North America would work.

I make this post out of a sincere heart. This is NOT spam and should not be considered as spam. Christmas is only three months away. Many children here, in Philippines, will never be able to put their hands on a PSP.

I would buy my wife's aunt a PSP if I could afford it. That only one would be happy, would make me happy. I know making a donation to Bantay Bata is a tax deductable in the USA.

By the way, if everyone here, in PlayStation Board can see the faces of young children when they look at my PSP, and they don't have one, many will understand what I go through. Just because I'm American does not mean I'm rich. I often wish I had a bunch of PSPs to hand out to needy of children, and I wouldn't give to children whose parents can afford to buy one.

It's only my opinions here.

Happy PSP-3001 Owner with System Software 6.31
Heavy User of Skype on PSP (Kuya.Marc) and Internet Radio
Favorite Games: Namco Museum Battle Collection, Sudoku, Work Time Fun
Pasig Pac-Man's Blog
Message 1 of 37 (18 Views)
Wastelander
830 posts

Re: Donating a PSP for Christmas in the Philippines...

Sep 1, 2009

Nice Idea!

Kudos 

Message 2 of 37 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Sep 1, 2009

georgecat315fat wrote:

Nice Idea!

Kudos 

Thanks. I hope this idea goes through...

Pasig Pac-Man's Blog
Message 3 of 37 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Sep 1, 2009
Seems like a very good cause. Unfortunately I can't afford to do something like this. I can only make smaller donations.

I hope this can consider some others to be charitable.
Message 4 of 37 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
830 posts

Sep 1, 2009

If you lived in the US you could start a company based off of donations, however you live in the Philippines.

I would do it but i'm only 13.

Great Idea though. 

Message 5 of 37 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Sep 1, 2009

Burning_Mice wrote:
Seems like a very good cause. Unfortunately I can't afford to do something like this. I can only make smaller donations.

I hope this can consider some others to be charitable.

The price of a brand new PSP-3000 is PHP 11,799 (USD $242) at Toy Kingdom. The most money, that most low income families can save up is, maybe PHP 3,000 (USD $61.50) in three or four months. Children in those low income family, do have dreams of having a PSP in their hands, and in most cases, their dreams never come true.

And for the ones that already have a PSP, the UMD games are also too expensive, up to 300% more expensive than PSN games.

Pasig Pac-Man's Blog
Message 6 of 37 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Sep 1, 2009

georgecat315fat wrote:

If you lived in the US you could start a company based off of donations, however you live in the Philippines.

I would do it but i'm only 13.

Great Idea though. 

I grew up in the USA; my childhood is from USA traditions. When I was 13 years old, my dad retired from US Navy and my mother gave birth to identical twin boys. My dad bought me whatever I wanted, and I was spoiled. Now, perspective changes.

Whenever I'm in a shopping mall, and I pull out my PSP, children of all ages turn their heads towards me, to see what I'm doing. Many approach me and look over my shoulder if I'm sitting down. What really hurts is the asking of one of two common questions:

• Are you from America?
  • Are you American?

See, I grew up in America, and when I was still a child, I got nearly everything I wanted. Children here are like from another galaxy (no pun intended). When I asked them why their parents don't get them a PSP, they generally answer, like this, "my mom says its too expensive" or something similar. The children that would approach me, is not just a couple of children, sometimes, it's a whole fleet of like, 85 children, but not all at once. But in a typical day at the shopping mall.

On many occasions, I have told my wife, "Sony doesn't know about these needy children only dreaming of a PSP." Remember that song from Debbie Gibson, "Only in my dreams"? If I played that music in the background of videos of children wishing for a PSP for Christmas, I feel that Sony would do something about that.

This US PlayStation Board shouldn't be focused only on PlayStation in the USA, but the rest of the world. Filipino children look up to Americans! But, the US PlayStation network doesn't allow Filipinos to register. Hundreds of children in a small area, only dream of having a PSP, and will never get have one.

Pasig Pac-Man's Blog
Message 7 of 37 (18 Views)
Sackboy
601 posts

Sep 1, 2009

PasigMarcos wrote: 

I grew up in the USA; my childhood is from USA traditions. When I was 13 years old, my dad retired from US Navy and my mother gave birth to identical twin boys. My dad bought me whatever I wanted, and I was spoiled. Now, perspective changes.

Whenever I'm in a shopping mall, and I pull out my PSP, children of all ages turn their heads towards me, to see what I'm doing. Many approach me and look over my shoulder if I'm sitting down. What really hurts is the asking of one of two common questions:

• Are you from America?
  • Are you American?

See, I grew up in America, and when I was still a child, I got nearly everything I wanted. Children here are like from another galaxy (no pun intended). When I asked them why their parents don't get them a PSP, they generally answer, like this, "my mom says its too expensive" or something similar. The children that would approach me, is not just a couple of children, sometimes, it's a whole fleet of like, 85 children, but not all at once. But in a typical day at the shopping mall.

On many occasions, I have told my wife, "Sony doesn't know about these needy children only dreaming of a PSP." Remember that song from Debbie Gibson, "Only in my dreams"? If I played that music in the background of videos of children wishing for a PSP for Christmas, I feel that Sony would do something about that.

This US PlayStation Board shouldn't be focused only on PlayStation in the USA, but the rest of the world. Filipino children look up to Americans! But, the US PlayStation network doesn't allow Filipinos to register. Hundreds of children in a small area, only dream of having a PSP, and will never get have one.

Kudos to you for bringing this to our attention man. Hardly ever see too many people with the best of intentions since everyone always talks about the god damned flaming between the conservative PSP owners and the upcoming PSP Go owners - Seriously. The only bad thing I can see come of this is that a bunch of kids are going to become corporate drones through heavy advertising. However, I guess it's a small price to pay to expand the market as well as put on a good face for the rest of the world. We sure need it because of how the US has been presenting itself over the last decade (Soon to be). I could go on about this, but I'll save my rant for another time. Again, my friend, many kudos to you.

"I don't really want to stop the show, but I thought you'd might like to know that the singer's gonna sing a song, and he wants you all to sing along. So let me introduce to you the one and only: Billy Shears and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Message 8 of 37 (18 Views)
Lombax Warrior
133 posts

Sep 1, 2009

DUDE THATS REALLY DEEP STUFF

THERE I MIGHT BE ABLE TO DONATE BUT DON'TKNOW IF MY PARENTS WNT TO CAUSE

MY GRAND MA GAVE IT TO ME AS A CHRISTMAS GIFT

BUT I'LL TRY (ESSPECIALY FOR A FONDATION)

GOOD LUCK

Message 9 of 37 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
133 posts

Sep 1, 2009

DUDE THATS REALLY DEEP STUFF

THERE I MIGHT BE ABLE TO DONATE BUT DON'TKNOW IF MY PARENTS WNT TO CAUSE

MY GRAND MA GAVE IT TO ME AS A CHRISTMAS GIFT

BUT I'LL TRY (ESSPECIALY FOR A FONDATION)

GOOD LUCK

i'm 13 so i'll try my best

Message 10 of 37 (18 Views)
0 Likes