Lombax Warrior
139 posts

Re: Do you prefer UMD or DD?

Oct 30, 2009
UMD!!!!
My psp UMD games: crimson gem saga, street fighter alpha max 3, metal gear solid portable ops, grand theft auto vice city stories, disgaea 2 dark hero days and metal slug anthology (last purchased)
my psp PSN games: Final fantasy VII
Message 51 of 80 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
389 posts

Oct 30, 2009
I prefer UMD. Even though it's alot slower to load, I prefer a physical copy and I can sell it on once I'm bored of it :smileytongue:
Be as smart as you can, but remember that it is always better to be wise than to be smart.
Alan Alda

100th Post - 11.09.2009 10:24pm
200th Post - 06.11.09 06.38pm
300th Post - 27.11.09 08.29pm
PSP 2003 OFW 6.31 - Broken UMD Drive :smileysad:
Message 52 of 80 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Oct 30, 2009

mrdude00 wrote:

I prefer umd. I think DD is stupid for several reasons, which I shall list.

1. The psp go only has 16 gigs of storage, and that is fairly easy to fill up. Once you run out of space you cant put any more games on it (duh).  I know you could argue that it is expandable with memsticks, but those cost money, with umd the game comes with storage media. And you can fit 10000 umd's in a backpack if needed.

2. You can sell, rent, trade, or return umds. These arent iphone apps sony!  If you beat a game and get tired of it you can sell it and get a different one, plus, you cant loan a friend a game. I think thats a mistake on sony's part.. most people who test out a game buy it. so, it translates to less sales for sony.

3. You have to use the crappy software to download DD's.

4. A credit card is needed to buy games. What ever happend to buying physical game packages with cash? what about kids whos parents dont want to use their credit card?  Plus now its literally impossible for kids to buy awesome games their parents dont want them to.. LOL

5. Ummmm..... 5...... ohh yeah.. you cant shoot DD's out of a phat psp like you can umd's

Alright.. so there is my take on this.

1. Ok, so it's true that 16 gigs will not be enough for people with large libraries, and expanding this will obviously cost money. Even then, I'm not sure how many people would want to have more than 15-20 games available to them per trip. I know I wouldn't, and of my friends I can only think of one guy that would have a real issue with this...though I could see him just buying a few memory cards to swap back and forth.
2. Yes, this is true. You can't sell your old games. There is a chance that Sony will be adding rental functionality to games, though! (they added an expiry date in the last firmware) That would be fantastic for everyone, since even if you had a K-series and preferred UMDs you could download the game just to rent and go out to buy it if you like it. Then you wouldn't have to worry about getting the game back in time, or getting one that someone scratched, etc.
3. Yeah, you'd think Sony could make a decent app, but no...
4. Well, you don't NEED a credit card, no. You can always go to the store and buy a PSN card with cash, the same way some people avoid giving their credit card to Blizzard to get on WoW.  

Message 53 of 80 (9 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 30, 2009

I think we really need to accept that the future of gaming is DD and that UMD will soon be a thing of the past.

I'm excited to see what comes next

Message 54 of 80 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3376 posts

Oct 30, 2009
i like to have the case

Message 55 of 80 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Oct 30, 2009

I prefer DD but here's the thing.   

Let me just say this first: I don't have a lot of money for games and I have a 1gig stick with my 1000.  So $20 for a game is hard to come buy.  But in order for me to experience DD I have to buy a larger Stick that would cost like $40.  So if I ever get $40 I probably buy 3-4used PSP games.

But I want MGS ps1, MC LA remix DD and LocoRoco2.

Message 56 of 80 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8110 posts

Oct 30, 2009

I sense some bias here. I highely doubt anyone would carry 40 UMD games and play every single one of those games on one trip or on the go (not PSP go) which doesn't make any sense unless someone suffers from compulsive disorder, UMD addiction or video game addiction. Heck, even when downloads wasn't offered before on the PSP, the most I would carry is two or three UMD's and almost always I would only end up playing just one or two games on trips or on the go.

Things changed now ever since I have a 16 gig memory stick and I have a total of 15 full games (UMD Legacy, PSone classics, PSN exclusives) and I have almost 6 gig free space left. Ironically, I don't play every single one of those downloads when I'm on the go as well. I never had to swap games back and forth on the PC NOT ONCE on the 16 gig MS. When I had the 4 gig MS before there was swapping but was quick for like 2 minutes averagely so those 5 or 10 minutes that someone mentioned is just an exxageration. 

UMD's and DD both have their pros & cons but to me, DD has the edge in terms of solid state, no moving parts, longer battery life, faster loading times and carrying mutiple games with you on a single memory stick (as long as its a high capacity) and now the single 32 gig memory stick is available for the PSP K models and Sony is working on the M2 version which will be cheaper than the Sony 32GB Pro-HG MS that BoneofWorld reviewed. Here's his review of the 32 gig Pro-HG MS:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&message.id=3498723#M3498723

Message Edited by nov2rem on 10-30-2009 03:58 PM
Message 57 of 80 (9 Views)
Fender Bender
2966 posts

Oct 31, 2009

nov2rem wrote:

I sense some bias here. I highely doubt anyone would carry 40 UMD games and play every single one of those games on one trip or on the go (not PSP go) which doesn't make any sense unless someone suffers from compulsive disorder, UMD addiction or video game addiction. Heck, even when downloads wasn't offered before on the PSP, the most I would carry is two or three UMD's and almost always I would only end up playing just one or two games on trips or on the go.

Things changed now ever since I have a 16 gig memory stick and I have a total of 15 full games (UMD Legacy, PSone classics, PSN exclusives) and I have almost 6 gig free space left. Ironically, I don't play every single one of those downloads when I'm on the go as well. I never had to swap games back and forth on the PC NOT ONCE on the 16 gig MS. When I had the 4 gig MS before there was swapping but was quick for like 2 minutes averagely so those 5 or 10 minutes that someone mentioned is just an exxageration. 

UMD's and DD both have their pros & cons but to me, DD has the edge in terms of solid state, no moving parts, longer battery life, faster loading times and carrying mutiple games with you on a single memory stick (as long as its a high capacity) and now the single 32 gig memory stick is available for the PSP K models and Sony is working on the M2 version which will be cheaper than the Sony 32GB Pro-HG MS that BoneofWorld reviewed. Here's his review of the 32 gig Pro-HG MS:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&message.id=3498723#M3498723

Message Edited by nov2rem on 10-30-2009 03:58 PM

I like DD more then umd's, but untill all my umd's are downloads, i will still use both for now and im glad i have a older psp that can play both formats and a psp go for all the new downloads i get.

And for the rest of how i feel, Nov2rem pretty much said it all for the other comments i wanted to make in this thread.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.
Message 58 of 80 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

Oct 31, 2009

|sf>I prefer UMD over DD, in part because I've invested in a large UMD library of games and movies.  I also own a compact carrying case that can hold around a dozen UMDs in protective sleeves and my machine's holder protects four others.  I don't often go on trips, but when I want to watch a movie on an airplane with another person (using a headphone splitter), it helps to have a decent variety of titles. 

Part of the problem with DD is that I can't hold many games on an MS Pro Duo (I own two half gig MS Pro Duos, two 1 gig MS Pro Duos, and one 4 gig MS Pro) and they yield an embedded cost for me in hardware.  One of those 1 gig MS Pro Duos (which originally cost me $20) contains only the two Jumping Flash games plus Patapon 2.  

I'm not blind to the advantages of DD and I appreciate being able to buy certain classic PS One games which are either new to me or classics I could never otherwise purchase for my PS One collection.  I'm also a fan of sales; when there's a significant difference in prices, I'll go with the cheaper option regardless (hence buying Prinny on DD for $10 on sale versus the $40 price tag for the UMD in the midwest).   As a general rule, I'll continue buying UMDs for movies and games, limiting DD for exclusives or rare cases. 

Message 59 of 80 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
188 posts

Oct 31, 2009

Techni wrote:

Dren wrote:
I'm a guy
 I gave 2 options, 1 being a backpack. They tend to be gender neutral. No one said you had to buy a hello kitty backpack. Quite a lot bigger then an iPod Touch, which is the size of a PSP Go.

And why would I want to carry around a backpack full of games? "
Then get something smaller. There are tons of methods for you to carry stuff. Something smaller? An iPod sized device that can hold multiple games at once!

Sandisk would make them, not Sony.
though releasing it would kill off sandisk's ability to sell you incrementally larger ones every year Still have 32 gigs available.

16 gigs is enough for a good 10-12 games.
16 gigs is enough for about 8 to 12 games. And I don't want to have to spend $80 to carry 4 more games around. $30 for a backpack, plus the trouble of having to lug it around. Over $100 for a decent purse, my sister buys her's at Coach. Still have the trouble of carrying it compared to 8-12 games inside jean pockets. Jean pockets, and those are the smallest pockets can get.

Having a need to carry around more than 30+ games at a time is ridiculous
 Having to use a PC to put games on a PORTABLE is ridiculous. Once again, the games are already on your system. 8-12 games can fit on it. The PC can act like a shelf. Do you take your shelf with you everywhere you go when you want a variety of books to choose from?
 Having to spend 5 minutes to swap games whenever my mood changes is ridiculous *Home Button*, two seconds pass, *pick a new game*, game starts up. Load times are faster, because it isn't on UMD. IGN themselves said that there is a 17 second autosave for GTA Chinatown wars on UMD, but it was only 1 second when digitally downloaded.

Yes, last time I check the PSN store states "PSP Games", just because it isn't in a UMD format doesn't mean that it isn't a psp game.

For pete's sake. You know damn well I was referring to how it cant play the PSP games I own I did not, you could have stated that in you're original post. Keep the k series, but going out of your way to bash the Go on you're free time is ridiculous.

Sony themselves stated that they originally wanted the PSP to be a DD only device
Marketing speak. Plain and simple. Just like how rumble+motion sensing was "impossible"
It's not true. Sony was VERY excited about UMD. And it's the best thing to happen to portable gaming. Sony did not want to go download only. They wanted to invent a new format with royalties. Never denied this, it was in my original post, but you edited it out so that you could say something I already it. I stated their original plan was to make a DD device, which it was. Did you see the conference?

Instead of bashing the device that Sony was striving to create, you guys should be happy for Sony's accomplishments.
In making a device that screws over existing PSP owners and large collectors? No. We should be fearful that the next PSP will do the same I can see NES games becoming collectors items, but never a UMD. I will admit that I'm wrong if a UMD game is sold for more than $200 new and sealed. I don't know a collector that would waste their time with a UMD, and last time I checked, video games are meant for fun/time passing, not for collecting.

Message 60 of 80 (9 Views)