Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
15 posts

Re: Do you prefer UMD or DD?

Oct 31, 2009

Carry around quite a few games already in Digital. :/ Totally somewhere around 40, though I guess you can't count compilation games? Sega Genesis Collection has a good value and I got the KOF Collection as well. I like game compilations but I was also a purchaser of a PSP-1000 then they first released. I have to admit that the only 3 games I even played for a good while and enjoyed were Jewel Summoner, Alpha 3 Max and Dark Stalkers (was a rental). I had Sega Genesis Collection and that pack was full of games I loved and would still play to this day.

Recently I got Mana Khemia and Disgaea and lord knows I would probably rebuy Spectral Souls if they ever put it on PSN cause the one thing that plauged most games on the PSP were LOAD TIMES. I am on the move, I don't wanna sit there with half my experience being tappered off by load times. I had already made a decision when I got my PS3 that I would NOT trade in games (I broke that once because I changed it to only keeping games with Trophies, except Valkyria Chronicles.) I also regret the decision on trading in the 5 games I did have for MUA2, it was just such a buggy piece of crap I decided to just not resell anymore.

My PSP games, I would treat the same way. If the fighting games had Game Sharing as a standard I would be most happy but they do not and I don't mind it so much. Besides, im a really picky buyer before I buy something. As long as I have access to the file after I have paid for it through PSN, which I do, I do not mind digital downloads at all.

Also, about the Credit Card problem, learn to buy PSN cards.

Please use plain text.
Message 61 of 80 (39 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1183 posts

Oct 31, 2009

Avalain wrote:

There are a lot of comments out there where people are saying they prefer UMD over DD or vice versa. I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on this.

For the record, UMD is Universal Media Disc (if you didn't know this I don't know why you're on the PSP forums...) and DD is Direct/Digital Download

Remember that this post has nothing to do with the actual system involved, since everyone knows that the PSP Go is DD only, while the PSP K-series can do both.

i choose both

Please use plain text.
Message 62 of 80 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
197 posts

Oct 31, 2009

For the record, UMD is Universal Media Disc (if you didn't know this I don't know why you're on the PSP forums...) and DD is Direct/Digital Download

thats funny about umd yeah i like umd but if there was a game that was only on ps store that i wanted i would buy

it or something 

Old Mcdonald had a farm and Bingo was his name-o B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O,
and Bingo was his name-o.
Please use plain text.
Message 63 of 80 (39 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1173 posts

Oct 31, 2009
DD forever.

I am actually an UMD hater.

imho, UMD and UMD drive is not suitable for a portable system

UMD and UMD reader is:

-bulky
-noisy
-battery eater
-can be easily damaged
-slower

compared to DD
Please use plain text.
Message 64 of 80 (39 Views)
Fender Bender
3458 posts

Oct 31, 2009

Dren wrote:
 Sandisk would make them, not Sony.
though releasing it would kill off sandisk's ability to sell you incrementally larger ones every year Still have 32 gigs available.
I dont think you understand. They release incrementally larger sticks, they wont jump from 32 GB to 2 TB, cause then you will buy the 2 TB and thats it. They want you to buy everything in between

Having to use a PC to put games on a PORTABLE is ridiculous. Once again, the games are already on your system
Except the ones that dont fit on it

Having to spend 5 minutes to swap games whenever my mood changes is ridiculous *Home Button*, two seconds pass, *pick a new game*, game starts up.
Doesnt work that way when you're SWAPPING games. ie: installing ones that arent on it

but going out of your way to bash the Go on you're free time is ridiculous.

Im not

and last time I checked, video games are meant for fun/time passing, not for collecting.

As one of many collectors, I'm forced to disagree. Games are meant for both.

Please use plain text.
Message 65 of 80 (39 Views)
Lombax Warrior
158 posts

Oct 31, 2009

Techni wrote:

Dren wrote:
though releasing it would kill off sandisk's ability to sell you incrementally larger ones every year Still have 32 gigs available.
I dont think you understand. They release incrementally larger sticks, they wont jump from 32 GB to 2 TB, cause then you will buy the 2 TB and thats it. They want you to buy everything in between

Having to use a PC to put games on a PORTABLE is ridiculous. Once again, the games are already on your system
Except the ones that dont fit on it

Having to spend 5 minutes to swap games whenever my mood changes is ridiculous *Home Button*, two seconds pass, *pick a new game*, game starts up.
Doesnt work that way when you're SWAPPING games. ie: installing ones that arent on it

Im not

and last time I checked, video games are meant for fun/time passing, not for collecting.

As one of many collectors, I'm forced to disagree. Games are meant for both.

Yep, I'll have to agree with Techni.  Anyways, I personally prefer UMD's for the exact same reasons that Techni and others have posted.  I am not opposed to DD however, as I have utilized that as well.  Given a choice, UMD would win everytime with me.

Seta Soujiro
Please use plain text.
Message 66 of 80 (39 Views)
Splicer
51 posts

Oct 31, 2009

i prefer umd's greater libary

Please use plain text.
Message 67 of 80 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
667 posts

Oct 31, 2009
I prefer the digital version of games.

This sentence is false.
Please use plain text.
Message 68 of 80 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
188 posts

Oct 31, 2009

Techni wrote:

Dren wrote:
I dont think you understand. They release incrementally larger sticks, they wont jump from 32 GB to 2 TB, cause then you will buy the 2 TB and thats it. They want you to buy everything in between I do understand, but you're reply back doesn't make sense at all. I stated there is still 32 gigs available for purchase, so you can still add 32 gigs to the Go, enabling it to be a 48 gigs. That's 12 gigs less then my ps3, which has 60 gigs, which is a ridiculous amount of memory as is. I never denied that statement.

Except the ones that dont fit on it Please leave the rest of my posts in your reply. You are replying to a piece of my post, not the whole thing, just to attempt to make a point. I already said that the PC can work as a shelf, but anyone that reads you're reply to my posts will agree with you, because you edit the post to your favor. 
Having multiple games on a system at once, then only taking that system out is better then having one game on a system and only taking that system around. In which case more games "fit on it."

Doesnt work that way when you're SWAPPING games. ie: installing ones that arent on it Installing games is faster then going out to a Gamestop to buy one, not to mention it saves the gallon of gas it takes to get there and back. Then the game continues to load fast then it would on the UMD format. You would swap out a game you already own, and that game you already own would be on your system, not on a disc. So your argument is like saying that 'swapping' a game on the Go is the equivalent to going out to a store and purchasing a UMD? Swapping games applies to the games that you already own.

Im not Really? You are taking your time to edit my posts so that they appear to be in your favor when others look at it. I noticed you got kudos the last time you did this.

As one of many collectors, I'm forced to disagree. Games are meant for both. Then keep the original psp k series. If collecting UMDs is more appealing to you then getting 5 copies of the same game when you download it digitally, then that is your preference. Once again you are going out of your way to bash the Go on your free time.

I just noticed that you are from Europe. I personally wouldn't have purchased the Go, if I was it Europe. The system costs too much over there, I will admit that, but at least they give you 4 free games (which when you do the math, when you subtract the price of the games given off the top, then the system costs as much as it does in the USA.) So technically it is the same price. You could also get games cheaper if you make an American PSN account and buy all your downloads from there. In which case psp games would be cheaper to purchase for DD, then they would in the average store in Europe.
 In more original response to you, I said that I did not want to generate an argument, but your all of your replys make it seem like you want to go in that direction. I stated my reasons for liking DD, and you proceed to bash all of my reasons like I am idiotic for thinking them. A backpack/purse is more convenient then carry around a small, pocket-sized device? Really? Maybe for you, but you could just state, "I use my purse/backpack, so UMD works for me", instead of starting an argument to make it seem like a backpack/purse is the more convenient way to carry around games. 

EDIT: Changed all of the posts that I said before to green, making it easier to read. 

Message Edited by Dren on 10-31-2009 10:08 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 69 of 80 (39 Views)
Fender Bender
2966 posts

Oct 31, 2009

Lets just say its all down to conveniance on how the person handles their games.

Some ppl find that if they dont want their games after they are done with them, they want to trade them or sell them.  Then umds have the advantage. But if ppl just collect the games and never sell them or trade them, then ether keeping the umds or just going with downloads is the way to go.

I have over 40 umds in my collection of games, but i never carry all of them when i go on a trip. I only carry around 2-4 that i want to work on. Having umds means i have to carry the cases along if i want to read the manuels or just carry the games in a small case. But now that i have downloads i dont have to carry cases or manuels since the game and manuel is saved on the memory stick of what ever psp i have the game downloaded to. With downloads i just have to just grab my psp and go. And the nice thing about having the games on a memory stick means i can have more then 4 games downloaded. I can even have some movies and songs on the memory stick.

Nice thing to being able to store the games on my pc or ps3  means that every once in a wile, like 1 or 2 times a month, i can swap out many games to the memory stick just like when i change music on my mp3 player. Once the games i want to play are on my memory stick, switching between games only takes a few seconds since the games are on my memory stick.

Its all down to conveniance.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.
Please use plain text.
Message 70 of 80 (39 Views)