Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 20 2009
By: Tarislar First Son 22 posts

Comic Book readers - Region Locked?

12 replies 16 views Edited Nov 20, 2009

So I updated my PSP and went to go check out the comic book reader, a feature I've been really excited about for a while now.

It just doesn't appear on my PSP.  I made sure I have the update and yeah, everything is there, but simply no comic book reader.

Then that sinking feeling dawned on me.  I have a PSP I bought in Taiwan.. I sincerely hope this thing is not region locked...

Can anyone shed some light on this? 

Message 1 of 13 (16 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Re: Comic Book readers - Region Locked?

Nov 20, 2009
I have an US PSP and it worked fine.  My wife has a Japanese import PSP and it went to the Japanese page.  My guess is yes, there is some sort of region lock.  Can that be changed, I am not well enough versed on thaat aspect to say.  Opinions from some of our more experienced gamers???
Message 2 of 13 (16 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Nov 20, 2009

Ok, I was able to use the redemption codes, and download, the free comics on my wife's Japanese import PSP.  However, according to the Japanese website, the comic book reader for them does not come out until December 10th.  So I will not know until then if it actually "works" or not.

Funny, usually Japan get the goodies before us.

Message 3 of 13 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
90 posts

Nov 22, 2009
I have the same scenario with PSP import.  I have the Transformers comic somewhere in my files but not the appropriate software for the app.  I guess we have to wait for Dec.10.
Message 4 of 13 (16 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
21728 posts

Nov 23, 2009
I tried installing the US version of the comic reader on my Japanese PSP, but it doesn't see it, so yup, I guess we will have to wait till December 10th for the Japanese version. My US PSP installed the comic reader just fine, and the freebies look good on it.

Message 5 of 13 (16 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Nov 23, 2009
Wait, so on December 10th, my Japanese PSP (Which I'm using in English) will suddenly show the comic book reader option in the XMB?  And then I can read comic books from the US store?
Message 6 of 13 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
90 posts

Nov 23, 2009

Tarislar wrote:
Wait, so on December 10th, my Japanese PSP (Which I'm using in English) will suddenly show the comic book reader option in the XMB?  And then I can read comic books from the US store?

Ummm yep........ we will know soon enough.

Message 7 of 13 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
47 posts

Nov 24, 2009

Dear Sony,

Please stop making Firmware updates mandatory so those of us not in the regions for the "exciting" new features dont have to update for no reason. Was excited about this one till I saw that yet again its useless here in Canada.

Message 8 of 13 (16 Views)
First Son
22 posts

Nov 25, 2009

How about this:

Dear Sony,

Please quit with the idiotic region locking bulls***.  It doesn't stop anything, many users get around it in various ways, it simply creates an inconvenience.  

It provides no benefit to you other than stopping some users from buying a product legitimately. 

It promotes piracy and also destroys a lot of good will toward the company.

Please find the person responsible for the whole region locking idea and stab them in the face repeatedly with a wooden spoon.

Sincerely,

Tarislar. 

Message 9 of 13 (16 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Dec 12, 2009
I get question mark boxes and Japanese writing.  No go on the US comics, at least not on this import PSP.
Message 10 of 13 (16 Views)
0 Likes