Sep 08 2008
By: MrZebra77 Wastelander 945 posts

Won't connect to wireless router, keeps looping the connecting message.

10 replies 630 views Edited Sep 8, 2008

Ok, I just got a wireless router of my own so that I can use my PSP's online functions now (My last neighbor that had an unprotected wireless network just protected his now) so I figured might as well get one myself.

So I got a D-Link DIR-655, used pretty much the default settings for wireless(Like b/g/n mixed, channels and speed on auto) of course changed the SSID, set in on WPA2 and put a password.

The PSP just says:

"Connecting to access point

please wait...

Connection Name  Nariko

SSID  Nariko

And then the screen blanks and then shows the same thing again and it loops like that.  Sometimes I see for a split second "Exchanging key information" then it goes back.

I was trying on WPA/WPA2 auto mode first (On the router that is) then I tried WPA only with TKIP only but the PSP still does the same thing.

I don't want to have to revert to WEP or unsecure just to accomodate my PSP.

I am not running the latest firmware on my PSP (v3.95 I think, that came on the N+ disk) as it was kinda the point here, to download the latest firmware on my PSP.

Anyoen has any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Message 1 of 11 (630 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3565 posts

Re: Won't connect to wireless router, keeps looping the connecting message.

Sep 8, 2008

MrZebra77 wrote:

Ok, I just got a wireless router of my own so that I can use my PSP's online functions now (My last neighbor that had an unprotected wireless network just protected his now) so I figured might as well get one myself.

So I got a D-Link DIR-655, used pretty much the default settings for wireless(Like b/g/n mixed, channels and speed on auto) of course changed the SSID, set in on WPA2 and put a password.

The PSP just says:

"Connecting to access point

please wait...

Connection Name  Nariko

SSID  Nariko

And then the screen blanks and then shows the same thing again and it loops like that.  Sometimes I see for a split second "Exchanging key information" then it goes back.

I was trying on WPA/WPA2 auto mode first (On the router that is) then I tried WPA only with TKIP only but the PSP still does the same thing.

I don't want to have to revert to WEP or unsecure just to accommodate my PSP.

I am not running the latest firmware on my PSP (v3.95 I think, that came on the N+ disk) as it was kinda the point here, to download the latest firmware on my PSP.

Anyone has any idea what I'm doing wrong?

If you are 100% sure you made the setting of your router into mixed mode, you have to reboot your router to have the changes take effect.  The best thing is set your PSP back into factory restore setting and switch your PSP off wait for about 3 to 5 minutes, restart your PSP and router delete the old connection if it is still there and redo the connection, make sure you type the SSID correctly don't add any spaces at the and it will fail to connect and remember the SSID is also case sensitive.  Try this first and keep us posted of your progress, so other new member can learn something too, if they might having the same problem.  Remember to power cycle your router too...  Good luck ...
Message 2 of 11 (630 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
945 posts

Sep 8, 2008

Ok, I did another test, it seems this looping occurs when I do "Test Connection".  If I try to launch the web browser it said "Error connected" with some numbers (I'll report back with the error number when I try again when I get home tonight)

As far as the router goes, each time I make a change in it's web interface, it does a reboot by itself.

And also I can add that when I tried connecting with my PSP, my PC (Wired) and my PS3 (Wireless) were already connected to it so I don't know if I need to power-cycle it then...

As for deleting the connection in the PSP and recreating it from scratch, sure I'll try that.

Message 3 of 11 (630 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Sep 8, 2008
my router is in g mode i dont know how to change it to mixed mode the set up wizard does not say if i can put it in mixed mode. any help.P.S: i made another thread for internet help heres a link a link http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=pspnet&thread.id=164162 P.S i have a d-link router model DI524
Message Edited by dfffffffffffff on 09-08-2008 02:08 PM
Message 4 of 11 (630 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
945 posts

Sep 9, 2008

Ok, did some more troubleshooting...

I did try deleting the network from the networks and created it again, same result.

So I lowered the encryption settings on my router to WEP (Wouldn't use that, but for a quick test, sure) and it worked no problem.

So it looks like the PSP has issues with WPA.

My router by default has the WPA set for WPA or WPA2 auto and the encryption to TKIP or AES auto which according to the documentation means that devices that support WPA2 (Such as the PS3) will use the stronger encryption while devices that only support the older WPA (Such as the PSP) would use WPA only and both of them should work at the same time.

But I did try to force the router to WPA(1) and TKIP and set the PSP to that and it failed.

Also since it worked with WEP, it confirms that the problem was not my odd IP scheme (Well, the Subnet Mask is the odd part really, I tried 192.168.12.140 with a mask of 255.255.240.0) but if that was the problem, wouldn't have worked with WEP.  And also, the whole B/G/N Mixed mode is also out of the equation since I did not touch that setting when I tried with WEP.

So I will ask again, my PSP is running Firmware 3.95 which I know is not the latest, the first thing I was gonna do with the wifi connection with the PSP was to upgrade the firmware.  I did look for some kind of a changelog of the PSP Firmware and I could not find anything, can anyone confirm that maybe one of the fixes between 3.95 and 4.05 was fixed WPA Issues.

Message 5 of 11 (630 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
945 posts

Sep 9, 2008

I installed FW 4.05 on my PSP using the MemoryStick and I still can't connect.

I also updated the FW on the router (The one it shipped with was not the latest) and it still won't connect. 

Message 6 of 11 (630 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 9, 2008
I'm having the identical problem. can't figure out what to do either.
Message 7 of 11 (630 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
945 posts

Sep 10, 2008

I also tried fiddling with the advanced Wireless options (Beacon Interval, RTS Threshold, Fragmentation and the Short GI checkbox) and was never able to get the PSP to connect.

My router also has a guest zone mode where I can put a 2nd SSID without encryption.  While that would probably solve the potential security issue (This just goes to the internet with no access to my network) it would still open up to people using my connection and run up my bill.

I'll try turning that on and see if I can put some basic security on it (Such as MAC Filtering) so that only my PSP works with it, considering the vulnerability of MAC filtering is that a hacker could sniff packets to find what MAC addresses are in use and then change theirs to that of one of the authorized ones, they would have to be trying WHILE I'm playing my PSP for it to work which would be rare.  And leave my PS3 to my WPA protected network since the PSP doesn't need access to my local network.

I'll have to check if the "Guest Zone" feature supports any security at all maybe it doesn't since it's well, for an open access hotspot mode so maybe it doesn't even let me put MAC Filtering in place.

Message 8 of 11 (630 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
278 posts

Sep 10, 2008
u probably purchased a router that is not compatible with the psp, make sure the router is a 802.11g
Photobucket

Message 9 of 11 (630 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
945 posts

Sep 10, 2008

Kenyjune wrote:
u probably purchased a router that is not compatible with the psp, make sure the router is a 802.11g

It's a 802.11n which also works with 802.11g and 802.11b.  My PS3 (Which is a g) works fine, and the PSP (Which is b) works if I'm not using WPA.

I just found out my router supports setting multiple SSIDs so I'll put the PSP on an SSID by itself with no encryption and MAC Filtering to only allow my PSP. 

Message 10 of 11 (630 Views)
0 Likes