Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Keyblade Wielder
9606 posts

Re: WPA2 support on PSP

Mar 26, 2008
Realistically, WPA (1) is just fine for home networks.  If a hacker wants to get in, they will, so WPA2 isn't going to stop them.  I have a wifi monitor running and i simply provide access to the devices i want to allow to connect wirelessly, everything else is blocked :smileyvery-happy:  However, i would like to see Sony add WPA2 in a future firmware update if possible since many people can't adjust their router/wireless settings at work and such.
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 54 (889 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3032 posts

Mar 26, 2008

olapbill wrote:

skatterbrainz wrote:
Wow. That's pretty scarry. So I assume you don't do any online purchases or logging into things? Without any encryption anyone can grab that information very easily.

but the packages for online transactions etc are encrypted via ssl.
You should have some type of lock on your Wi-FI as anybody can hook into it remotely and steal all the info on your PC even if you have Anti-Virus, and Spyware software on your machine that won't save you when they link into your Wi-FI and then log into your profile remotely and start doing things on your PC when your out of the house. IE they can run your PC from theirs without any tuble at all via the Vista, and XP Doss Console pop up. So your at a major risk if you think your PC is safe from ID theft.
Plus online banking is the least safe form of banking you can ever do. Most of the third party banking sites give out your CC numbers, and your home address to anybody willing to pay an arm and a leg to get them. So you need to be safe IE turn on your fire wall at least. I'm behind 2 fire walls, Wi-Fi WPA security, and of course 2 spyware programs, and 2 anti-vrius programs protect my PC. All my machines are like this other then my consoles.
It's funny because we get people trying to hack into our network all the time and they never get in because they get past both fire walls they have to decript my password to even get into my machine.
Message Edited by Gunwing on 03-26-2008 12:19 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 54 (889 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
606 posts

Apr 7, 2008
I'd just like to add another vote for this, WPA2 is now so common or should I say standard in normal home network hardware and networks that regardless of it's real or percieved benefit it would be churlish to not offer support for it.
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 54 (889 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
210 posts

Apr 7, 2008
It is already supported but if it does not work then try again by putting the psp close to the router it will work when you have tested your connection.
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 54 (889 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Re: WPA2 support on PSP

Apr 7, 2008
update
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 54 (889 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

May 24, 2009
I just updated to 5.50 and still no WPA2 for the PSP. I switched to WPA2-AES for all my networks when the TKIP hack came out in November 2008.  

At home, I have 4 laptops, 2 wireless cameras, and a wireless laser printer that all do WPA2.

I have laptops that are 5 years old that can run WPA2 for crying out loud. This thread was started in 2005 and here it is 2009 and no WPA2 for the PSP. Shame on you Sony. 

I have been disappointed with the PSP since the first day I brought it home...and I own two of them. This is yet another disappointment. 

Sony, you can not call yourself a leader in technology when you are YEARS behind others that are much smaller. 

Also, don't be fooled. WPA2-AES has not been hacked. That's not to say it can't be, it just has not been hacked to this date.  WPA-TKIP has been hacked and it was published. WPA2-AES is "considered fully secure" according Wikipedia.

Quote from Wikipedia: 

WPA2 replaced WPA; like WPA, WPA2 requires testing and certification by the Wi-Fi Alliance. WPA2 implements the mandatory elements of 802.11i. In particular, it introduces a new AES based algorithm, CCMP, which is considered fully secure. Certification began in September, 2004; from March 13, 2006, WPA2 certification is mandatory for all new devices to bear the Wi-Fi trademark

So, the original question still has not been answered. 

When is Sony going to update the PSP to accomodate WPA2-AES?? We are waiting....

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 54 (889 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
295 posts

May 28, 2009

Sk8rkid610 wrote:
I just updated to 5.50 and still no WPA2 for the PSP. I switched to WPA2-AES for all my networks when the TKIP hack came out in November 2008.  

At home, I have 4 laptops, 2 wireless cameras, and a wireless laser printer that all do WPA2.

I have laptops that are 5 years old that can run WPA2 for crying out loud. This thread was started in 2005 and here it is 2009 and no WPA2 for the PSP. Shame on you Sony. 

I have been disappointed with the PSP since the first day I brought it home...and I own two of them. This is yet another disappointment. 

Sony, you can not call yourself a leader in technology when you are YEARS behind others that are much smaller. 

Also, don't be fooled. WPA2-AES has not been hacked. That's not to say it can't be, it just has not been hacked to this date.  WPA-TKIP has been hacked and it was published. WPA2-AES is "considered fully secure" according Wikipedia.

Quote from Wikipedia: 

WPA2 replaced WPA; like WPA, WPA2 requires testing and certification by the Wi-Fi Alliance. WPA2 implements the mandatory elements of 802.11i. In particular, it introduces a new AES based algorithm, CCMP, which is considered fully secure. Certification began in September, 2004; from March 13, 2006, WPA2 certification is mandatory for all new devices to bear the Wi-Fi trademark

So, the original question still has not been answered. 

When is Sony going to update the PSP to accomodate WPA2-AES?? We are waiting....

same here, i have 6 wireless devices that support WPA2, psp, not one of them, and i don't like using anything but WPA2 for security reasons, i know what people can do if they get in, and i dont want anything happening to my psp, much less my computers and laptops...
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 54 (889 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

May 31, 2009
Same story here I have 3 other devices that all support WPA2 so I really don't want to downgrade my security just to get my PSP online. The PSP hardware is capable of WPA2 since it does support WPA AES so it is pretty sad that Sony refuses to add a very simple feature that many people could use.
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 54 (889 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
90 posts

Jun 2, 2009
Add another vote for WPA2 here.  WPA2 is pretty much a requirement nowadays thanks to the weakness in WPA1 that was already mentioned.  I can not use my PSP at 60% of the places I go (businesses, etc) because only WPA2 is allowed.
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 54 (889 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 7, 2009

To make matters worse: In Germany (where I live), one court has held the owner of a WLAN accountable for all cybercrime that originates from that WLAN (source of this statement to be confirmed).

The consequence for me is: Reducing my security from WPA2 to WPA is not an option.

But maybe the PSP just doesn't have the necessary horsepower?

Best,

JKane

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 54 (889 Views)
0 Likes