Apr 04 2011
By: J-Rad14 Big Daddy 19510 posts

PlayStation® Portable Router Configuration Guide

389 replies 8254 views Edited Apr 4, 2011

PlayStation® Portable Router Configuration Guide

In this guide I will walk you through the basic and advanced stettings in setting up your router for use with your PSP™ system.

If there is something you do not understand or think I could explain a little a better, feel free to reply.

Contents:

• Introduction
  • Basic Setup
    • Accessing the Router
    • Wireless Settings
    • PSP Settings
  • Advanced Setup
    • Security
    • Port Forwarding
    • Static IP
  • Troubleshooting & F.A.Q.

Introduction

Welcome to my guide/tutorial on PSP networking, I don't know where to start, so let's start with the basics: The PSP has a limited amount of RAM (32MB's 1000 and 64MB's 2000). The PSP currently has a modified version of Flash 6 and cannot view YouTube videos, support for this feature has not been brought up by SONY but is extremely desired amongst PSP'ers. The PSP uses the 802.11B protocol standard (most common on portable devices); this combined with the PSP only having a limited amount of memory usage for the browser equals a slow and not powerful browser. (PSP uses about 4MB's for the browser, your common PC has 512MB's - 1,024MB's.

To connect your PSP to the internet you have to connect to an AP (Access Point). 1. A wireless router, referred to as a WAP. Or 2. A USB Wi-Fi Dongle which plugs into your computer and emits Wi-Fi using the computers' connection. Any wireless router will do, as long as it support the 802.11B standard (B) which it will.

Okay, time to get started, first thing; make sure your PSP and routers firmware' is the latest, and you are up for a challenge, this process could take a couple minutes to a few hours depending on your setup and the things you need to setup, e.g... Port forwarding and static IP's.

Basic Setup

Below is the basic setup guide for setting up your PSP™ system and router. So, without further to do, let's get started!

Accessing the Router

Below you will find a few of the most popular wireless routers with their default login information.

Note- If you get the right address, but the wrong login, you will need to ask the person who setup the router. Your second option is to hard reset the router, this will reset the router to factory settings including the password and any saved settings.

Linksys - http://192.168.1.1

(Username - admin | Password - admin)

Netgear - http://192.168.0.1

(Username - admin | Password - password or admin)

D-Link - http://192.168.0.1

(Username - admin | Password - leave blank)

Belkin - http://192.168.2.1

(Username - admin | Password - leave blank)

If you wireless router is not listed above, or one of links does not work, continue below.

Open up command prompt, this can be done by clicking Start>Run, type "ipconfig" and press enter. See where it says "Default Gateway" Type those numbers into your address bar in your web browser, e.g... http://192.168.0.2.

Wireless Settings

Once your inside the router and viewing your settings, navigate to the wireless tab.

Confirm that the router's wireless is enabled.

Make note of the SSID incase it's hidden (you will need to enter it into the PSP if so).

You need to change the wireless mode of your router to "Mixed Mode, G/B" .

-The PSP uses the "B" protocol, if your wireless router is set to "G-Only" it will not accept the PSP since it does not use the "G" protocol. (Some routers' G-Only mode is backwards compatible with B)

Navigate to the wireless security tab, check to see which type the router has enabled, if none is enabled then continue on, if you would like to enable security I cover this process below in Advanced Setup. If security is enabled, you need to locate the key, there should be either a drop down menu, or little circle which is selected telling your which key is being used as well as the bit type, you will also find which type of security, WEP or WPA is being used. Make note of the key being used (if any) and continue on to the next step.

PSP Settings

Turn on your PSP, navigate to Settings and scroll down to Network Settings, enter, select Iinfrastructure mode and then new connection.

Select scan, select your WAP (Wireless Access Point), enter in the SSID if blank/hidden.

Choose the correct type of security if any and insert the key if required to do so.

Select Easy for address settings, name your connection, e.g... Home.

Save your settings and continue with the connection test, good job, you're done!

But it failed with the test, what did I do wrong? Unplug your wireless router (power), wait three minutes, plug back in, review the above instructions and start from scratch.

If all else fails, read the below Troubleshooting at the end of this guide and feel free to post a new message/thread asking for help.

Advanced Setup

Below is the advanced setup guide where I cover some more settings/information about router and PSP setup.

Security

If you would to setup security on your router wireless then continue on below.

Navigate to the wireless security tab and there should be a drop down menu letting you select a type security.

I would recommend you going with WPA and a strong passphrase/password, go with WPA2-Personal, some PSP games do not support WPA2, most of the earlier games don't even support WPA.

MAC Filtering

When MAC Filtering is enabled, the router will decide whether a device can connect or be blocked based on the supplied MAC Address in the list.

Some routers have this enabled by default, so if it is enabled or you are looking to enable it, continue on below.

Navigate to the MAC Filtering tab, might be located under Wireless or Security.

There should be two lists once enabled; a block list and an allowed list. You need to add the PSP's MAC Address to the allowed list.

To find the PSP's MAC Address, turn on the PSP and navigate to Settings>System Settings>System Information.

Add the PSP's MAC Address and you're done!

Port Forwarding

Sometimes you will need to open ports so you can play certain games online or use the microphone.

Most of the times, if you want to play a certain game online or even to use the microphone, you need to open ports in the router. One of the limitations with this is that you can't open the same ports for two devices, the best way to overcome this by opening ports for one device, and putting the other in the DMZ (if your router has this feature). Another thing you can do is play with the routers firewall setting. Bringing it down will open more ports/let more through, and putting it higher will close more ports.

On your router, navigate to the port forwarding page, found sometimes in the applications/gaming and advanced tabs.

Enter in the application name (PSP Ports), and enter the starting and ending port numbers, the PSP's IP address and enable it. (In this guide we will use 192.168.1.45 for the PSP's IP)

When your done, try getting online with your PSP and make sure it works, if it doesn't then go back and review or post a new message/thread asking for help.

DMZ

What the DMZ does is it puts the specified device in front of the router's firewall, opening all ports without the need to port forward. Downside to this is only one device can be in the DMZ at a time. To put a device in the DMZ, insert the IP address of the device and click save.

Static IP

You are either giving the PSP a static IP for port forwarding reasons or because you were told to do because it can help with keeping a connection.

On your PSP, go to your network connections and when you reach Address Settings; select custom and insert the following information.

IP Address: 192.168.1.45 (You can use the one in this example of the one you were to told to use)

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Router: 192.168.1.1 (Insert here the router's gateway)

Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1

Secondary DNS: 192.168.1.2

Troubleshooting

Alright, below I will hit up on some basic problems you'll run into. But first, make sure your routers' wireless mode is in "Mixed Mode, G/B".

• Timed Out Error - This error could mean one of several things
    1. Weak signal, get closer or find another Access Point.
    2. You setup the connection manually for the PSP incorrectly, retrace your steps and double check your settings.
    3. PSP is setup to have a static IP and that IP is being used by another device currently. Good idea is to setup the static IP through the router pertaining to the PSP's MAC Address, find the device using the IP and release/renew the IP.
    4. Router's not working properly, reboot router.
    5. Modem is not online, reboot modem and router.
  • PSP Use to be able to Connect - This is a common issue for everyone
    1. Did you change your encryption key? Double check on that.
    2. Try rebooting the router, sometimes they need to be rebooted every once and a while.
    3. Delete the connection off your PSP and try again using Easy/Auto settings.
    4. Are you receiving Errors on your PSP? Have a look at this guide.
    5. Try resetting your router.
  • PSP Cannot connect no-matter what I do
    1. Hard reset your router and PSP.
    2. Power cycle router and modem.
    3. Delete connection off your PSP and try again using Easy/Auto settings.
  • Key Exchange Time Out
    1. Router is not in mixed mode, g/b.
    2. Key information is incorrect on your PSP.
    3. PSP does not support encryption type.
    4. Try disabling security altogether, and if you can connect you know it's an encryption problem.
  • Getting Disconnected From Online Server
    1. Make sure you have the specified ports opened
    2. Or, put your PSP in the routers' DMZ.
  • Web Browser works-slightly
    1. Common problem, make sure http:// is before the address you are trying to view.
    2. Freezing in the bookmarks, backup your bookmarks through USB and format your Memory Stick
    3. Won't let you sign in, set cookies to "Allow All".
    4. Memory Error- Set cache to "Do Not Use" or clear it constantly.
    5. Restoring default settings usually does the trick.

And last but not least, problems can usually be fixed by power cycling your router, along with the modem, and turn them back on, delete the connection off your PSP, and make a new one once the internet light is on/blinking on your router and modem.

Message 388 of 390 (8,254 Views)
PIayStation MVP
21728 posts

Re: Need the KEY for your WEP Security?

Nov 17, 2006
You do realise that if you type your posts in white, anyone who is not using the new PS3 skin cannot read it.

Message 1 of 390 (8,254 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
21728 posts

Nov 18, 2006

J-Rad14 wrote:
I did not think about that, thnxs
(I just changed it)

Aaahhh, yes, there it is, thanks. 

By the way, the gateway address you gave only applies to Linksys routers. You might want to add the addresses for other popular routers.

Netgear   http://192.168.0.1      (Username- Admin,  Password- password)
D-Link     
http://192.168.0.1      (Username- Admin,  Password- Blank)
Linksys   
http://192.168.1.1      (Username- Admin,  Password- Admin)
Belkin     
http://192.168.2.1      (Username- Admin,  Password- Blank)

Message Edited by Bone of World on 11-18-2006 02:52 AM

Message 2 of 390 (8,254 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Nov 18, 2006
uhh i thought WLAN is Wireless Local Area Network
My PSN is: xDaRkXiGhTX

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketBetcha Can't Do This XD

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Message 3 of 390 (8,254 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19510 posts

Nov 18, 2006

Bone of World wrote:

J-Rad14 wrote:
I did not think about that, thnxs
(I just changed it)

Aaahhh, yes, there it is, thanks. 

By the way, the gateway address you gave only applies to Linksys routers. You might want to add the addresses for other popular routers.

Netgear   http://192.168.0.1      (Username- Admin,  Password- password)
D-Link     
http://192.168.0.1      (Username- Admin,  Password- Blank)
Linksys   
http://192.168.1.1      (Username- Admin,  Password- Admin)
Belkin     
http://192.168.2.1      (Username- Admin,  Password- Blank)

Message Edited by Bone of World on 11-18-2006 02:52 AM

Thank you,

Message 4 of 390 (8,254 Views)
Big Daddy
19510 posts

Nov 18, 2006

xdarkxightx wrote:
uhh i thought WLAN is Wireless Local Area Network

Thanks.

Message 5 of 390 (8,254 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3472 posts

Dec 3, 2006
whenever i type  192.168.1.1 in the adress bar it takes me to a aol search..same thing on mozilla and internet explorer im using aol explorer
Photobucket
Message 6 of 390 (8,254 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19510 posts

Dec 3, 2006

gothalo wrote:
whenever i type  192.168.1.1 in the adress bar it takes me to a aol search..same thing on mozilla and internet explorer im using aol explorer

Is your router on?
What kind of router do you have?
If its a sertant kind it will be something other than 192.168.1.1

Message 7 of 390 (8,254 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3472 posts

Dec 4, 2006
yes my router is on, my router is a linksys wrt54g and the default ip for a linksys is 192.168.1.1
Photobucket
Message 8 of 390 (8,254 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19510 posts

Dec 4, 2006

gothalo wrote:
yes my router is on, my router is a linksys wrt54g and the default ip for a linksys is 192.168.1.1

And you typed it in your address bar?

I will PM you

Message 9 of 390 (8,254 Views)
0 Likes