Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 19 2010
By: hawkey8819 First Son 3 posts

PSP won't connect to the internet

13 replies 16530 views Edited Oct 19, 2010

I just bought a PSP yesterday and it won't connect to anything. It won't even find my internet connection and I'm real close to my router. I've unplugged/re-plugged my router and everything anyone has told me to do and it still hasn't been able to connect to my router.  Then if i does find my router and try to connect it disappears. I need to update it and i can't update it (or get my games) on it in less i get internet on my PSP.

Is it my PSP?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 14 (16,530 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Re: PSP won't connect to the internet

Oct 21, 2010
I am haveing a similar issue as well. I have a wifi router with wep security. I have enterd the wep kep correctly'and upon connecting I get the error 403 forbidden. My apts wifi has a webpage that pulls up you have to click an icon to connect. Could this be the problem or is it a dns error? Please advise.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 14 (16,530 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Oct 24, 2010

The PSP only supports 802.11b, so make sure your router is set to send/receive "B" signals. Also, the PSP does not support WPA2, so use WPA+WPA2 mixed mode (no one should still be using WEP, it's been cracked and is not secure).

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 14 (16,530 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 7, 2010

I bought a PSP yesterday and am having the same problem. I updated my PSP software to the latest version (using the PC) and went through all of the trouble shooting I could find online. I finally called Sony Customer Service (Playstation Consumer Services). The service rep had me power cycle, restore defaults on my PSP and then try to connect to my wireless router again. The end result was the same. When I scan for available networks my PSP finds my network at a signal strength of 100%, but when I try to connect or test the connect, I get "The access point was not detected". I know that I am using the correct password.

The customer service rep suggested I contact my wireless router company (Cisco/Linksys) and ask them how to change my wireless router so that it accepts 'mixed' signals. She said that Sony products will not work with wireless N. After we ended the call, I looked at my advanced router settings and discovered that it is already set up for mixed signal (G, B, and N).

Does anyone have any further suggestions?

PSP model: 3000

Wireless routher: Linksys e2000 Wireless N

Security: mixed WPA2 / WPA

BTW, a friend has a PSP 1000 and the same kind of router, and she's never had any trouble connecting with her PSP or PS3. She never had to change any advanced settings.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 14 (16,530 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 14, 2010

As i said my wifi is thru my apt complex so i do not know what they are useing let alone am able to change any settings.  please advice on what (if anything) i can do from here, if they will not change the settings. (i doubt they even know what i am talking about, i mean they are the retards useing wep)

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 14 (16,530 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Nov 15, 2010

akairlashon wrote:

As i said my wifi is thru my apt complex...

In that case you may be out of luck. If you have to go through a "launch page" to reach the Internet you would have to run the browser first, then go to the PSN store app (or on-line game, etc.). The problem with the PSP is it kills the connection when exiting from the Browser. So you can't open the browser, enable Internet access then switch to the PSN Store or a game.

Your specific issue is probably that the access page requires something the PSP browser doesn't support (newer Flash or Java), but even if you could get that page to work it wouldn't help much (for reasons stated above).

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 14 (16,530 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 28, 2010

me too

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 14 (16,530 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
936 posts

Nov 28, 2010

SuperScrounge wrote:

I bought a PSP yesterday and am having the same problem. I updated my PSP software to the latest version (using the PC) and went through all of the trouble shooting I could find online. I finally called Sony Customer Service (Playstation Consumer Services). The service rep had me power cycle, restore defaults on my PSP and then try to connect to my wireless router again. The end result was the same. When I scan for available networks my PSP finds my network at a signal strength of 100%, but when I try to connect or test the connect, I get "The access point was not detected". I know that I am using the correct password.

The customer service rep suggested I contact my wireless router company (Cisco/Linksys) and ask them how to change my wireless router so that it accepts 'mixed' signals. She said that Sony products will not work with wireless N. After we ended the call, I looked at my advanced router settings and discovered that it is already set up for mixed signal (G, B, and N).

Does anyone have any further suggestions?

PSP model: 3000

Wireless routher: Linksys e2000 Wireless N

Security: mixed WPA2 / WPA

BTW, a friend has a PSP 1000 and the same kind of router, and she's never had any trouble connecting with her PSP or PS3. She never had to change any advanced settings.

I have the same setup.. and my Iphone4 and ipod never had this problem... even my slim ps3.. so whats up with psp?? I know i have the right passphrase, I'm looking at the router webpage right now on windows 7 while typing this message... Im kinda irked to say the least.. my old psp 1000 NEVER had issues... it just eventually burned out from age and me not replacing the battery,,,

Proud owner of a Ps3 since April 20th 2007 :-)
Owner of a Launch PS4 :-)
" **IF YOUR GETTING A PS4 FEEL FREE TO SEND ME A FRIEND REQUEST** "
http://shaved.by/UFxE Click to get a Shave Club deal, and I get $5
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 14 (16,530 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
936 posts

Nov 29, 2010

I did find out how to solve the network issue just disable Wireless N, There is no other way, kinda sucks.. my iphone is Wi-N...

I like my new psp3001 its nice, I prefer UMD's, PSP-go's are a joke..  I don't mind the noise, the psp3000 is super light.. so no weight issues, I got the LBP&Karate Kid bundle.. LBP is awesome.. I can't believe I waited 2 years to replace my busted old 1001 psp.. Now I just need bargain memory sticks... tons of them..

Proud owner of a Ps3 since April 20th 2007 :-)
Owner of a Launch PS4 :-)
" **IF YOUR GETTING A PS4 FEEL FREE TO SEND ME A FRIEND REQUEST** "
http://shaved.by/UFxE Click to get a Shave Club deal, and I get $5
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 14 (16,530 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Dec 2, 2010

austinite04 wrote:

I did find out how to solve the network issue just disable Wireless N, There is no other way, kinda sucks.. my iphone is Wi-N...

You do not have to disable wireless-N. You just need to set the router to B+G+N mode. This may limit your N throughput to 150mbit, but I doubt many would notice the difference.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 14 (16,530 Views)
0 Likes