Mar 08 2009
By: utPaintball Lombax Warrior 162 posts

Digital or Hardcopy??

76 replies 53 views Edited Mar 8, 2009

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to sort of create a poll and see how you guys plan to purchase your PSP Games for now on.

I want to say Digital because of the battery life savings and the convenience. However the hardcopy being about $5 more (using Killzone Liberation as an Example) having a hard copy would be nice. The only downside will be battery life decrease due to the UMD having to spin.

Advantages:

Digital: Less battery consumption, Compact, No data corruption (scratched discs), No stolen data (can be re-downloaded), Always in stock, Instant delivery, Cheaper.

Hardcopy: Trade in value, Esthetics, Sales. 

Disadvantages:

Digital: Requires an internet connection, and a large memory stick.

Hardcopy: Requires transportation, and storage.

So, what will it be? Digital or Hardcopy?

Message Edited by utPaintball on 03-07-2009 08:24 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 77 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
603 posts

Re: Digital or Hardcopy??

Mar 7, 2009
Though I do download some games from the PS store, I mostly buy UMD's. I'll probably continue to do so too.  
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 77 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
160 posts

Mar 7, 2009

I do like how easy it is to simply download a game however I'd rather own a physical medium. The reason? What if 15 years down the road I want to play a game that was digitally distributed over PSN and it's no longer in existance or service or simply no longer offered for download? That would suck tremendously. I am a collector and I like to actually play older games. I still own all my NES, SNES, Dreamcast, PSOne, GameBoy games and I do play them even if it's not very often.

I don't want a company to dictate how long I can play a game I purchased with my money.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 77 (53 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1294 posts

Mar 7, 2009
Digital!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 77 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
527 posts

Mar 7, 2009

Digital copies are a little more easier to carry around  but there's nothing like having a game in your library to show off...

I guess it really depends on the game.

I'd rather have games like God of war, Resistance Retribution, Crisis Core as UMDs, and games like Loco Roco,or  Patapon as digital copies.

You know, because those games are quirky, and probably dont take as much space as the bigger titles.

Can you imagine how big the file size is going to be for Resistance Retribution? I'm guessing 1.6GB...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 77 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
350 posts

Mar 7, 2009

Digital - this way, the amount of games I can carry in my pocket is only limited to my memory stick. Why choose which ONE game I want to play outside when I can bring all of them? There's no way I'm bringing a backpack full of UMDs everywhere I go either.

Having a quiet PSP with shorter load times and longer battery life is bonus!

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 77 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
527 posts

Mar 7, 2009

triple_lei wrote:

Digital - this way, the amount of games I can carry in my pocket is only limited to my memory stick. Why choose which ONE game I want to play outside when I can bring all of them? There's no way I'm bringing a backpack full of UMDs everywhere I go either.

Having a quiet PSP with shorter load times and longer battery life is bonus!

Yeah I agree with you there - I'd rather NOT carry around all my UMDs....the only problem is that you'd need one helluva big memory stick.

the UMD legacy games take a huge chunk of memory - Killzone Liberation for example is 512mb, Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow is 1.2GB and I dont even want to know how much Crisis Core would take up....Oh well, there's always those 32GB memorysticks right around the corner...

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 77 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2064 posts

Mar 7, 2009
Hardcopy for as long as it's possible.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 77 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
283 posts

Mar 7, 2009
I like hard copy games. also for me I like to use my psp to play all of my music and movies that I got from the PSN.  
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 77 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
870 posts

Mar 7, 2009

I like UMDS better because you can actually collect them and keep them on your shelf.

The only time I download a game is when it's only downloadable and not avaliable as a UMD.

My awesome website .
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 77 (53 Views)
0 Likes