Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
1 posts

Re: ps3 won't recognize external hard drive

Oct 6, 2010

Yesterday I  shelled out like $150 for a 1.5TB external hard drive by Western Digital. I realize WD isn't the greatest brand, but it's the only one they had and it was quite ridiculous. Well anyway, I took it home and my ps3 also wouldn't recognize it. It was very lame. Suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 81 (1,342 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12266 posts

Oct 7, 2010

Yeah, read this thread.  There are many posts in this thread that outline what you need to do in order for the PS3 to recognize an external hard drive (it needs to be formatted using the FAT32 file system) and what programs you can use to format it.

Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 81 (1,342 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 9, 2010

Thank you SO much! I was having a really hard time getting my 500GB WD Passport recognized and I finally got it! This really helped!

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 81 (1,342 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Hey everyone, I was having a similar problem with my 320g...

Nov 22, 2010

Jackpot! The key was using the HP format link to format the flash drive to FAT.

Why did no one ever say that the flash drive had to be formatted: neither Playstation blogs, or Sony site, or anybody but you guys.

Hooray and thanks to CNET

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 81 (1,342 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 24, 2010

Hi

I've read through this thread & you seem to know what you are on about so I wonder if you could help me.

I used to have a WD HDD but then it died so I have purchased another one.

My PS3 wouldn't recognise it so I researched & found out that I had to change it from an NTFS to a FAT32....I did this using EASEUS Partion Master....& after doing so I made files inside the drive: PS3, then MUSIC, VIDEO, PICTURES & GAME inside that.

BUT....my PS3 still is not recognising/finding my HDD =|

(& I am afraid thats as far as my tinkering knowledge/ability goes)

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been without a HDD for a few months now & greatly miss it....

Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 81 (1,342 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12266 posts

Nov 24, 2010

Your drive wasn't properly formatted then.  Go back through this thread and find links to software that will properly format a hard drive using the FAT32 file system.

Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 81 (1,342 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 6, 2010
Good run through Izabiyz2008, way to not take that tool kornchild2002's route of half answers and crying about questions being asked on a topic that is a question itself..
Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 81 (1,342 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12266 posts

Dec 6, 2010

Oh wow, that hurt.  There is a difference between asking a question that has been answered 3498573498759374579 times (requiring a simple click of a mouse) and wanting to know the answer to a rare question.  This thread was setup to help people and yet most people register, make a single post asking "meh, teh, duh, meh it don't work. heulp pluese?", and then never come back.  Instead of taking the 5-10 minutes to register and make some simple question, those people can just click to go to the first page of this thread.  So please forgive me for being a "tool" and pointing out the obvious.

Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 81 (1,342 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 2, 2011

Any ideas?

I recently purchased a PS3 Slim 160 (January 2011). I immediately upgraded the internal hard drive with a 320G I already had. Everything went great. I now want to use an external hard drive, loaded with my video and photo files to display with my PS3. I've read through post after post on how to do this, but nothing works for me.

I have a new WD "My Passport 500G" external drive. I easily formatted it to one 500G partition in FAT32 with my Macbook Disk Utility. I created the mentioned folders "VIDEO", "MUSIC", "GAME", "PHOTO" on the root of the drive, as specified by many. I dumped samples of each file into these folders for testing. When I plugged it into my PS3, the drive never shows up anywhere. I also tried creating a "PS3" folder on the root, then putting the other four folders inside it. That didn't work.

Then I got on a Windows XP machine and reformatted the drive with a 32G FAT32 partition using the built in Windows Disk Management. I created the same folders on that partition, and still nothing on the PS3.

I don't know of anything I haven't tried to do to make this external disk work. I would appreciate any ideas. It seems like this would be a simple process. Formatting to FAT32 and creating a few folders is not difficult, but apparently it's not just that simple in all cases.

Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 81 (1,342 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Apr 14, 2011

I have problems with my external hard drive as well.

I have the My Passport 1TB with the 160GB ps3 . Let me point out that my hard drive was working fine until I did a recent upgrade.

I have my 1TB Drive partitioned in two sections. a) NTSF 200GB & b) 800GB FAT32 [Yet again it was working that I can watch my tv shows off the hard drive.

My pc and laptop works fine with the external hard drive but my ps3 recently just cant play anything. It shows all the folders that I have but it says there is ZERO space in the folder. If I scroll out to the main folder it says that our of the free space available is 252GB free but when you go into any folder it shows as if its empty. So the ps3 is reading the hard drive but I cant figure out why it stoped working since i upgraded.

(I also tried using the other usb ports and that doesnt help)

Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 81 (1,342 Views)
0 Likes