Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 15 2007
By: partymonster333~ First Son 2 posts

media server disconnecting problem

13 replies 24916 views Edited Nov 15, 2007
my computer keeps getting disconnected from the ps3.  I have vista premium and i have windows media player 11 hooked up to my ps3,  i own a desktop hooked up to wireless for the connection.  there is also a laptop w/ vista hooked up to the ps3 and he doesn't get disconnected ever.  THe way it works is odd, every 5-10 minutes(havent timed it) it will disconnect and reconnect twice and then about 5-10 minutes later it will discon.and recon. again. that means i can't use anything off media center w/'o being disconnected every 5 minutes.    the ps3 and my computer are relatively close so connection isn't a problem(obviously i get internet through it)  I've tried turning off windows firewall, but it didn't work.  any suggestions? tips thanks
-partymonster333

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 14 (24,916 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: media server disconnecting problem

Nov 15, 2007
anyone?
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 14 (24,916 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 28, 2007
I have a similar problem.  I have opened up all the appropiate ports on my router and have tried disabling my firewall to no avail.  I am not using wireless, I am using a hardwired connection.  The physical connection is fine.  I tested it by opening a command prompt on the server and running a continuous ping from the server to the PS3.  No problems of intermittent connection.  For some reason the PS3 just randomly disconnects from the Media Server.  I am running XP pro and WMP11.  Sony, the boards and posts on Youtube have been no help.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 14 (24,916 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 5, 2008
I had this very same problem but I was able to fix this.

My Setup PS3 80gb On Wireless (firmware 2.10)
Wireless Router: WRT54GS

My issue I had exactly:
When Searching for a Media Server on my Playstation 3 (or even having it enabled) would cause my PC to disconnect then reconnect to the router/internet. This is very odd, it was like the PS3 was taking full control of the router. After reading the forums and doing things each member sujested. I came up with a solution that works for the time being.

The Steps I did to get Media Server Working without disconnecting me from PSN and Disconnecting my PC from the internet.

Steps Taken:
  1.  PS3 is on Wireless I assigned it an IP, And the DNS Servers. I let the PS3 auto setup the wireless then I took note of what it found for an IP/DNS servers and entered them in manualy and I disabled UPnP.
  2. I added Port Forwarding for the PS3 on its new assigned IP. (Ports: 80(TCP), 443(TCP),5223(TCP), 3478(UDP), 3479(UDP), 3658(UDP))
  3. Installed TVersity , (Also used Nero HomeMedia) Both worked. PS3 was able to find my PC running the server.

But every time I did a search or access the media server it would disconnect me from PSN, and my PC. SO we have one more step.
I found this after talking with some networking admins at work and friends.

4. Log into your WRT54GS Router and go to (Administration -> UPnP check disable).
        They mentioned with UPnP enabled the router could be reset by the PS3.  What is UPnP used for (Used by certain programs to automatically open ports for communication.)
        Now I have my network all setup and what ports I want open for my PC etc.. so having UPnP disabled really doesn't effect me. But it could you, so if you have problems getting                programs working on the internet this may not work for you.

But this is the solution I found to work for me.
I can use the Media Server on my PS3 without it disconnecting me from PSN or Disconnecting my PC. The Media Server ability was a very large reason I wanted/bought my PS3.

Hope this helps others.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 14 (24,916 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2151 posts

Jan 11, 2008
Nice work...

I only had the PS3 partof the problem (PC stayed connected fine), so I just used step 4, and it's worked like a charm since.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 14 (24,916 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Jan 16, 2008
Man, I've been having this problem since firmware version 1.8 or so and nothing seems to help.  I've tried both enabling and then disabling UPnP.  I've tried opening up all these ports and putting my PS3 in a DMZ.  Nothing seems to work.  I still seem to disconnect from the server constantly.  It's a very frustrating issue and one I never had before.  I'm not having any issues with my router or my PC... it just seems to be on either of my PS3s.  They both just disconnect from the media server randomly. 

Any other suggestions out there?
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 14 (24,916 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
65 posts

Mar 1, 2009

chatters~ wrote:
I had this very same problem but I was able to fix this.

My Setup PS3 80gb On Wireless (firmware 2.10)
Wireless Router: WRT54GS

My issue I had exactly:
When Searching for a Media Server on my Playstation 3 (or even having it enabled) would cause my PC to disconnect then reconnect to the router/internet. This is very odd, it was like the PS3 was taking full control of the router. After reading the forums and doing things each member sujested. I came up with a solution that works for the time being.

The Steps I did to get Media Server Working without disconnecting me from PSN and Disconnecting my PC from the internet.

Steps Taken:
  1.  PS3 is on Wireless I assigned it an IP, And the DNS Servers. I let the PS3 auto setup the wireless then I took note of what it found for an IP/DNS servers and entered them in manualy and I disabled UPnP.
  2. I added Port Forwarding for the PS3 on its new assigned IP. (Ports: 80(TCP), 443(TCP),5223(TCP), 3478(UDP), 3479(UDP), 3658(UDP))
  3. Installed TVersity , (Also used Nero HomeMedia) Both worked. PS3 was able to find my PC running the server.

But every time I did a search or access the media server it would disconnect me from PSN, and my PC. SO we have one more step.
I found this after talking with some networking admins at work and friends.

4. Log into your WRT54GS Router and go to (Administration -> UPnP check disable).
        They mentioned with UPnP enabled the router could be reset by the PS3.  What is UPnP used for (Used by certain programs to automatically open ports for communication.)
        Now I have my network all setup and what ports I want open for my PC etc.. so having UPnP disabled really doesn't effect me. But it could you, so if you have problems getting                programs working on the internet this may not work for you.

But this is the solution I found to work for me.
I can use the Media Server on my PS3 without it disconnecting me from PSN or Disconnecting my PC. The Media Server ability was a very large reason I wanted/bought my PS3.

Hope this helps others.

Im trying to take caure of this issue right now. But I dont know how to assign an IP address. PRetty much steps 1 and 2 I have no idea how to do. :-/

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 14 (24,916 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1319 posts

Aug 13, 2009
you can also try downloading Tversity.  I had the same problem as you with the windows server but tversity works real well and fixed with no problems
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 14 (24,916 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 6, 2009
THANK YOU CHATTERS~   !!!!    Disabling UPnP on my Lyksis WRT54G v 8.0 router did the trick for me.  The network is now stable.  Disconnections to the several servers I have has stopped, and network crashing is a thing of the past.  Great tip. 
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 14 (24,916 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 5, 2010

Hey guys, i just recently bought a game called "Borderlands" and it asked me to download something so i can play online, when i tried to download it a message popped up in the top right corner of my tv saying " The PS3 has been disconnected from the media server". I tried disabling the UPnP then reenabling it and it didn't work. Any help would be nice, i already read the forum so please don't tell me to do that, i don't understand most of whats beening said anyways.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 14 (24,916 Views)
0 Likes