Feb 20 2010
By: thegriz0929 First Son 2 posts

listening to pandora over ps3 on my home theater system - screensaver?

7 replies 2080 views Edited Feb 20, 2010

i just setup my ps3 with my home theater system. i am using the ps3 primarily as a media center and secondarily as a gaming system. my wife and i listen to pandora daily (it's on for a few hours every day). when i access pandora through the ps3 browser, there does not seem to be a way to enable a screensaver/visualizer. i am concerned about damaging my lcd tv over time. 

has anyone else encountered this and come up with a solution?

thanks for any ideas... 

i'd love to see a screensaver in the browser that displays photos stored on the ps3! seems like a no brainer... and would be easy to do. 

Message 1 of 8 (2,080 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2113 posts

Re: listening to pandora over ps3 on my home theater system - screensaver?

Feb 20, 2010

thegriz0929 wrote:

i just setup my ps3 with my home theater system. i am using the ps3 primarily as a media center and secondarily as a gaming system. my wife and i listen to pandora daily (it's on for a few hours every day). when i access pandora through the ps3 browser, there does not seem to be a way to enable a screensaver/visualizer. i am concerned about damaging my lcd tv over time

has anyone else encountered this and come up with a solution?

thanks for any ideas... 

i'd love to see a screensaver in the browser that displays photos stored on the ps3! seems like a no brainer... and would be easy to do. 

Uhm, turning your TV off isn't an option? And to quote your words... "seems like a no brainer... and would be easy to do."

http://speedtest.net/result/1305298608.png

Message 2 of 8 (2,080 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
223 posts

Feb 20, 2010

first off, lcd's dont need screensavers.  screensavers have been obsolete since CRT monitors, but still continue to be around for some reason. 

secondly, the only thing you have to worry about is reducing the life of your LCD, specifically the backlight, by leaving it on when not necessary.  the solution to this is to route the ps3's audio to your receiver seprate from your tv, that way you can turn the tv off and still listen to the music from the receiver.  

Message 3 of 8 (2,080 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4189 posts

Feb 21, 2010
As whodatisbe said above Also if you route it via an amp you will get more bonuses.
Ie DD prologic II audio on a Few CDs but on ALL DVDs.
Then DD5.1 Audio for DVD, This will then show how bad Radio is for audio. When you have FULL ROOM audio.
Then theres DTS audio on DVD this KNOCKs the pants of Radio and NORMAL CDs for music this is why the original PS3 would convert SACD in to a DTS stream.( now removed )
Then BD audio improves it again.

Also because your using the web browser and not a media server you can't do any thing else on the PS3.

snapshot6.png

Message 4 of 8 (2,080 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Feb 22, 2010

GraphiteGB wrote:
Then theres DTS audio on DVD this KNOCKs the pants of Radio and NORMAL CDs for music this is why the original PS3 would convert SACD in to a DTS stream.( now removed )

Not the original PS3 (except perhaps a few people's original PS3). Only PS3 with firmware v2.00 had this feature -- none before, none after.

And the reason why they implemented this is people with legacy AV receivers without HDMI complained they got no sound via optical output from SACD. That feature has stayed, only in stereo -- no multichannel.

Message 5 of 8 (2,080 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

Feb 24, 2010

Check out this similar thread:  http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/ps3/message-id/4296342

Not exactly sure when Sony brought in the multichannel part into their firmware revisions (although it should be in the history).

Message 6 of 8 (2,080 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 2, 2010

Hey thegriz0929. I hooked up my ps3 with the theater system two days ago. I also play pandora and listen to music on my ps3. what I did is I bought a digital optical audio cable and connected from my ps3 straight into the theater system. But you gonna have to go into your settings on the ps3 to change the audio settings and have the audio re-routed  through the digital optical cable instead your HDMI cables or RC cables.

Message 7 of 8 (2,080 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3221 posts

Jul 2, 2010

Unfortunately, it looks like thegriz0929 hasn't been online in over 4 months.

Game 1: Giants 11-7 Rangers       Game 4: Giants 4-0 Rangers            GIANTS WIN THE WORLD SERIES!
Game 2: Giants 9-0 Rangers         Game 5: Giants 3-1 Rangers                             2010 Champs!
Game 3: Rangers 4-2 Giants
Go Giants!

PyrrhusRex Trophy Card

| Uncharted 2 Stats | Learn to Google |

Modern War Gear Solid

Message 8 of 8 (2,080 Views)
0 Likes