Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 10 2007
By: deeze_nutz~ First Son 20 posts

compatible mp3 players

10 replies 796 views Edited Dec 10, 2007
how many out there have stumbled upon an mp3 player that is "actually compatible" with the ps3?? I found 1 so far and I have no idea what the brand is! It looks just like the ipod shuffle, but it isn't. It says ALOFT or something like that on the back, and reads as ALi (or something) when connected to a computer.

How many have used there mp3 player as a storage device to transfer music from your ps3 to a computer? I've done this several times, and each time i transfered music I was never able to find those songs on my mp3 player. The ps3 would create a MUSIC folder where all the transfered music would go into, which wouldn't be accessable by the mp3 player!

So, imagine my surprise discovering this, which, by the way, was "pure" chance! My friend had asked me if he can put music on his (Yes, it's his mp3 player and not mine!) mp3 player with my ps3! I told him the deal, and how to get the music out using a computer to transfer back into the player! He understood, transfered the music, and went home. 20 minutes later, he comes back teling me it worked! I didn't really believe him, so I checked it out myself by putting my kind of songs that he doesn't like, such as Silent  Civilian! I checked his mp3 player first with my ps3 to look at all his songs, and after not finding anything by Silent Civilian (big shocker there) I put one of there songs in! I started listening to his player, and sure enough, I found the very song I had put in!

So yea, I was pretty amazed at finding this out, and now the cheap **bleep** won't sell me his mp3 player (is that what you would call "ironic" ?)!

I didn't get a good look at the package for the player, otherwise I would've gotten more info on the player. All it says on there is that ALOFT at the back, but the "O" looks more like a design than a O. In my opinion, that particular player isn't very good, it's a pain looking for songs you put on there, and doesn't last very long either (several hours).

But if anybody else out there have found a compatible player, please post and let the rest of us know!
Message 1 of 11 (796 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12266 posts

Re: compatible mp3 players

Dec 10, 2007
Two of my mp3 players work and they are my 5G 60GB iPod and 4GB Creative Zen.  My 30GB Halo 3 Zune doesn't work.  I have used my iPod a countless number of times to transfer mp3s and mpeg-4 videos to my PS3.  I have yet to use my PS3 to sync music to my portable player because that is just dumb whenever I have access to my computer which houses my entire music library.  One should really only use portable audio players for transfering music to the PS3, not the other way around.
Message 2 of 11 (796 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 10, 2008
some off us dont own a pc just a playstation 3. does anyone know of a mp3 player that you can transfer songs from the playstation hd to the mp3 player so it plays straight out. the sony drag and drop ones work but iam after a cheaer one
Message 3 of 11 (796 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12266 posts

Oct 10, 2008

Did you need to bump this one year old thread?  I think you could have made your own instead of doing this.  That is alright though, you have a question that needs to be answered.  The issue with the PS3 copying music to any external device is that it will want to put the music in a MUSIC folder.  Most drag-and-drop compatible players still need to have their music in a certain folder in order for the device to play the files.  To my knowledge, Sony portable players are the only ones that support the MUSIC folder structure.  The issue with Sony players is that they aren't friendly on your wallet and they don't really have that many features.  Sony has yet to introduce a video compatible "Walkman" branded portable yet video playback has become the norm in devices.  You might want to look at a SanDisk portable player as they support the drag-and-drop feature but the files might have to go into a specific folder.  I can't really remember as I have a 4GB SanDisk Sansa Clip but it is packed up as I am going on a trip soon.

Another inexpensive option would be to purchase a new PSP-3000 package for $200 that comes bundled with a 4GB memory stick.  That is about the price of an inexpensive player these days and the PSP has more features than any $50-$200 player on the market.

Message 4 of 11 (796 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 11, 2008
thanks for your help i traded my pc in due to the fact that my playstation 3 can compete with the tasks i was only using my pc for like browsing the web gaming and viewing and listening to media emailing even selling on ebay through it all in all iam finding it ok some little issues like the mp3 player one do annoy me thow. some tell me that the very cheap ones like the matsui and alba ones work but you dont want to risk it unless you know
Message 5 of 11 (796 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 11, 2008
there are some like the inovix imp-65 that advertises as not needing drivers and connecting like a flash drive if anyone can help i would be grateful i got 25 gig of mp3s on my playstation 3 untouched lol
Message 6 of 11 (796 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
263 posts

Oct 11, 2008

I don't think its a big deal to resurrect this topic. If he started his own, we'd the opposite ("why didn't you search the forums to see if the topic already exists/was already addressed?"

What are some of the models we're talking about when we say "Sony drag and drop"? Is it these?

Message 7 of 11 (796 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 11, 2008
if you go to amazon.com and type in drag and drop in there search bar
Message 8 of 11 (796 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
263 posts