Dec 18 2008
By: Starzseed Lombax Warrior 236 posts

Why Cant I Watch HD Youtube Videos on My PS3 Web Browser??

21 replies 6814 views Edited Dec 18, 2008

i have a 1080p TV and the video is just normal quality...heres a link to a HD(High Definition 720p) video on youtube;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P6kswFyiqY&fmt=22

by the way i have 2.52 update installed and pretty sure 2.52 came with flash 9...so did 2.53 make any difference?

Message 1 of 22 (6,814 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
599 posts

Re: Why Cant I Watch HD Youtube Videos on My PS3 Web Browser??

Dec 18, 2008

When you click the "watch in HD" option nothing happens or was it encoded for HD and uploaded to youtube that way?

I'm cusrious cause I haven't come across the option on some of the stuff I watch. I do know the browser is finicky and after watching one or two vids, I get an network error and have to reload the browser 

Grandizer

Message 2 of 22 (6,814 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
236 posts

Dec 18, 2008

Grandizer wrote:

When you click the "watch in HD" option nothing happens or was it encoded for HD and uploaded to youtube that way?

I'm cusrious cause I haven't come across the option on some of the stuff I watch. I do know the browser is finicky and after watching one or two vids, I get an network error and have to reload the browser 

usually nothing happens when i click hd on the video...and under the video where it should say "watch in hd"...it isnt there...

but the link is strait to the HD...with the "&fmt=22" on the end which is HD format...and still the video plays normal quality...

Message 3 of 22 (6,814 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

Dec 18, 2008
I gave up on attempting to stream HD media such as game trailers/movie trailers a long time ago. I don't believe the PS3 can even handle it honestly. I have a wireless N router with Roadrunner Turbo Internet Connection. I also have a direct wired connection going to the PS3 because wifi drops down the speed going to the PS3 significantly. Its definitely not my side. LoL !
Message 4 of 22 (6,814 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Dec 18, 2008
New HD link: &fmt=6 Works for me.
Message 5 of 22 (6,814 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4361 posts

Dec 18, 2008

720p HD will work on a 50Mb/s wifi router but you have to shut down all other traffic ( turn EVERY OTHER PC off and turn off the encryption on the Wifi off completely. like any ones going to do that...  ) The routers start to remove bandwidth from the media servers connection if you don't. 1080p trailers need the proper developed N speed routers or a direct 100Mb/s connection. this is because 1080p will spike the bit rate beyond the 150Mb/s when streaming with all the data going out to the DLNA client running on the PS3. 

of course the 1Gb/s direct connection from PC to 1Gb/s router to the PS3 has none of these problems with near instant play back.

snapshot6.png

Message 6 of 22 (6,814 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
678 posts

Dec 19, 2008
Ps3's internet browser wasn't the best but hopefully in later updates they make it good
Put a stop to it agent P

Eh Oh Canada Go!!! This is our Games
Message 7 of 22 (6,814 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
157 posts

Jan 23, 2009
I'm trying to steam in HD right now, anyone else have luck doing so...either on youtube or another site? Thanks!
Message 8 of 22 (6,814 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
72 posts

Jan 23, 2009

Mayd4Life wrote:
I gave up on attempting to stream HD media such as game trailers/movie trailers a long time ago. I don't believe the PS3 can even handle it honestly. I have a wireless N router with Roadrunner Turbo Internet Connection. I also have a direct wired connection going to the PS3 because wifi drops down the speed going to the PS3 significantly. Its definitely not my side. LoL !
Just because you have Broadband, doesn't mean you can stream HD, nor does having a Wireless N router somehow make things stream better.  I'm still bumming around on a mixed-mode 802.11g Router with Hacked Firmware, and I can stream DVD Quality content (complete with surround sound soundtrack) to my PS3 without a hitch (Laptop Media Server is WiFi, PS3 is Fast Ethernet 100Mbps).  As for HD Trailers and Content, I can usually stream it pretty easily from a website so long as the video format is PS3-compatible, but then again, my Broadband connection is a 12000/768 pipe over Fiber.
 Just because you have "Broadband", doesn't magically make HD streaming possible.  In fact, many "Broadband" basic packages top out under 1Mbps, which is paltry, particularly for DSL Connections on the cheap.  Cable Companies have increased download bandwidth over the years, but a basic connection still tops out at 3Mbps if you're lucky - a far cry from the 7Mbps bitrate of many high quality H.264 HD Videos with Stereo sound (Like the ones you'd snag off iTunes; you know, the janky-looking videos, if you've ever seen a BD Movie).  Likewise, not even Wireless N is capable of effeciently streaming HD of any sort - WiFi has a high rate of packet loss compared to a wired connection, after all.
As for the OP, the answer to your YouTube problem lies in the same reason why the South Park Studios website won't work - Sony doesn't -fully- support Flash 9, only a reduced functionality version of it that works with many mainstream sites (YouTube SD, Hulu, AdultSwim, etc).  Until and unless full Flash support is added, or YouTube changes how HD streams are displayed, you won't be able to access them from your PS3.

Message 9 of 22 (6,814 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 1, 2009

is the ps3 browser in hd anyways

Message Edited by Bharat on 02-28-2009 10:34 PM
Message Edited by Bharat on 02-28-2009 10:35 PM
Message 10 of 22 (6,814 Views)
0 Likes