Lombax Warrior
204 posts

Re: Whats the highest resolution?

Mar 16, 2006
Thats all interesting stuff, but here is what confuses me, Sony talks 1080p up like crazy for Blu Ray and the PlayStation 3 but if they plan on doing it through HDMI they are only allowed to get up to 1080i or 720p because HDMI has copyright laws or some type of law that does not allow it to send a 1080p signal, so unless Sony is making their own cable I dont see how we are going to get in sony's word "True HD"

"Tomorrow Could Be the Best Day of Your Life"-Tom DeLonge

Get your Portable ID!
Message 11 of 13 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2615 posts

Mar 16, 2006
that is why HDMI is making a 16 bit port cause current ish is 8 bit. PS3 will at least have a 12 bit or something like that.
20 gig PS3 modded with 80 gigs.
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Resistance: FoM
Splinter Cell Double Agent
Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Burnout: Paradise
Motostorm
Lair
F.E.A.R.
Assassins Creed
Message 12 of 13 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
978 posts

Mar 16, 2006

Caped703 wrote:
Thats all interesting stuff, but here is what confuses me, Sony talks 1080p up like crazy for Blu Ray and the PlayStation 3 but if they plan on doing it through HDMI they are only allowed to get up to 1080i or 720p because HDMI has copyright laws or some type of law that does not allow it to send a 1080p signal, so unless Sony is making their own cable I dont see how we are going to get in sony's word "True HD"

No, you'll be able to get HD through HDMI. You are right though, the audio/video going through HDMI will be copy protected. HDCP or High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection they call it( something developed my intel). You will not be able to get the so called "True HD" through HDMI unless is HDCP certified. However, as of right now that only applies to movies....I don't think it applies to games (or we yet to see if does). The reason is that PS3 also has a standard A/V output, HDMI isn't  some requirement for games at least.

P.S. Damn these freakin acronyms....

The Collection: Games / DVD
Message 13 of 13 (8 Views)
0 Likes