Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 07 2009
By: GIXMAN First Son 14 posts

Watching movies on external hard drive on PS3

9 replies 1635 views Edited Jul 7, 2009
What is the easiest way to watch movies i have stored on my external HD on my PS3. I tried TVersity and I can't get it to work. Any help will be appreciated.
Message 1 of 10 (1,635 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
360 posts

Re: Watching movies on external hard drive on PS3

Jul 7, 2009
I think you're a little confused. Tversity and other media server's are for computers that "stream" media from the computer to the PS3. Since you have an external HD, i would just convert all the files to a ps3 compatible format and just plug the external HDD to the ps3 itself. If you don't want to waste your time with all the converting, I would advise you to look at a media server called PS3 Media Server found here
Launch 60gb Playstation 3 Owner Nov 2006

Get your Portable ID!
Message 2 of 10 (1,635 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Jul 8, 2009
I rip all my movies in .VOB format and store them on my PS3 & External harddrive to watch them.  I just prefer to do that rather then to re-encode them to .mp4 format.
Message 3 of 10 (1,635 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jul 8, 2009

Thanks for the replies.  I wasn't too clear with my question.

I copy dvd's with dvdfab 6 onto my 1 TB external. I usually burn them to dvd's and watch them on my ps3 but I rather not have to burn to watch.

I guess I have two options...

1. Plug the external into my pc and stream with the media server you recommend.(i tried this with tversity and i couldn't get it to work).

2. Convert the movies and plug the external into my ps3. Do I need software to convert the movies?

thanks in advance for your help.

Message 4 of 10 (1,635 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
88 posts

Jul 8, 2009

GIXMAN wrote:

Thanks for the replies.  I wasn't too clear with my question.

I copy dvd's with dvdfab 6 onto my 1 TB external. I usually burn them to dvd's and watch them on my ps3 but I rather not have to burn to watch.

I guess I have two options...

1. Plug the external into my pc and stream with the media server you recommend.(i tried this with tversity and i couldn't get it to work).

2. Convert the movies and plug the external into my ps3. Do I need software to convert the movies?

thanks in advance for your help.

mmh. Yes. You need software to convert the movies.

Depending on what type of media your movies are, your PS3 may be able to play them from the hard drive.

If you just made ISO files out of the DVD's, then you need additional software to extract the files. (MagicISO is one of them)

Anyway, I think it's just easier to burn the DVD's if you have the blank DVD's at your disposition.

Message 5 of 10 (1,635 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Jul 8, 2009

Clone DVD will create a ISO for you on Windows/Vista.  For Mac I use DVD2oneX2 that creates the .VOB file that PS3 will play without any issues they also make a Windows version as well.

Heres the link if you want to check it out but it's not free at all.  But it's well worth it. Since It will do a size at 4 GB for the PS3 so that it will fit on basically any hard drive usually a FAT32 file system that most people use for external drives.  One thing to note is that the file can be bigger then 4GB if you transfer the file directly from your computer to your PS3 if they are on the same network with some sort of file sharing app. But if not stay with the PS3 setting.

http://www.dvd2one.com/?loc=download 

Message 6 of 10 (1,635 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Jul 8, 2009
I don't have an external hd. I'm gonna buy the Western Digital 500gb one though. You can watch movies from a flash drive,memory stick,iPod,mp3 player,etc. Whichever one you use, make sure you create a VIDEO folder and store your videos in that folder. I have a lot of rips on the PS3 HD and running out of space.
Message 7 of 10 (1,635 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jul 10, 2009

Thanks for the replies.

I downloaded the PS3 media server. It worked! And I didn't have to mess with the setting or anything. Just downloaded it and it work.

I can play movies off my external now.

But...

It's very choppy and the picture isn't in 16:9 aspect ratio.

Are there setting that can fix these two issues?

Message 8 of 10 (1,635 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 29, 2010

How do i convert movies that are in .avi and like iTunes movies to the PS3 format? Please some help asap

Message 9 of 10 (1,635 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Oct 29, 2010

ohiaeri25 wrote:

How do i convert movies that are in .avi and like iTunes movies to the PS3 format? Please some help asap

Google is your friend.

http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/ps3video9/

Message 10 of 10 (1,635 Views)
0 Likes