Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 11 2010
By: PhillyManOfSteel First Son 19 posts

Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray Disc Player Plays MKV files so why not PS3?

5 replies 474 views Edited Jun 11, 2010

I just fouind out that he new Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray Disc Player can play MKV files. So does this mean maybe support for MKV will come to the PS3 also?

If a stand alone Sony blu-ray player can play MKV I would think that the PS3 should be able to also.

Message 1 of 6 (474 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3210 posts

Re: Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray Disc Player Plays MKV files so why not PS3?

Jun 11, 2010

Nobody knows but sony.  I would think they could include it in a firmware update, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Message 2 of 6 (474 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12266 posts

Jun 11, 2010

The PS3 is a different beast when compared to home theater devices, DVD players, Blu-ray players, etc.  There are different rules (whether they are spoken of or not) that the console must follow whether these are hard rules or they are implied.  That is the same thinking behind Apple and their iTunes Store.  The movie and music companies make Apple jump through more hoops than any other online music and movie distribution system simply because they are popular (ie sell a crap load of content).

Game consoles have always had a set of unspoken rules about not support divx/xvid AVI encoded files.  That was deamed as support piracy.  Then, as time went on, movie companies changed their perspective and the MKV container now has the "do not support" label for game consoles.  I am not sure what happened to make people think less negatively about divx/xvid AVI files but they do.  None of this makes any sense though but that is just the nature of the business.

My guess is that the PS3 will get MKV container support whenever the industry stops worrying about modern day piracy all togther.  That is the main issue with the MKV container though: it really is only used in the pirating circles.  Digital cameras and camcorders all rely on either mpeg-2, mpeg-4, or AVCHD for video recording; major content is distributed using mpeg-4 containers and AVC video encoders; and I can keep going on.  MKV is not used by the industry to distribute content.  The m2ts container has become heavily relied upon and the PS3 supports that with full h.264 video and Dolby Digital (or DTS) audio.

Message 3 of 6 (474 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3857 posts

Jun 11, 2010
DIVX became legal DRM'ed for sale content. With 2 Systems. 1 a single file with the enforced .Divx extension and DRM, when sold and another system that copied DVD with menus and chapters.

MKV remains DRM free open source. NON commerical container with zero stanards and No sites sell mkv direct from MOVIE STUDIOS

XVID IN AVI remains unsupported in NON DIVX standards. The PS3 plays pirate XVID files because they use the DIVX standards. If they were to turn all of Xvid encoders features on, files would not play in the PS3.

HTML5 Video streaming from a LAN PC with PLEX on PS4 Browser

Amazon Fire TV owner... With alot of APKs side loaded..
Message 4 of 6 (474 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12266 posts

Jun 12, 2010

GraphiteGB wrote:
If they were to turn all of Xvid encoders features on, files would not play in the PS3.

It would if they didn't put the file in an AVI or mp4 container...  Still, I see your point.  I also don't see what the big deal is with the MKV container given the PS3's compatibility with the m2ts container.  My Sony digital camera even encodes 1080/60i video using the AVCHD standard (m2ts container, Dolby Digital stereo audio, and 17Mbps h.264 video onto SDHC memory cards no less) that works directly with my PS3, netbook, and nettop.  I guess I would feel differently if my camera used the MKV container but it doesn't (and I don't think there is a camera or camcorder that does).

Message 5 of 6 (474 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3857 posts

Jun 14, 2010
Yes M2TS does a fine job and like DIVX it won't remove the new protection built in to BDs players that STOP pirate recordings from the cinema and BDs playing, Let's not go into to much detail but it's around and being tested in cinemas. currently it's to much work for pirates to remove it as it only effect BD/DVD players and not PCs but could be added by Microsoft to Windows 7.

HTML5 Video streaming from a LAN PC with PLEX on PS4 Browser

Amazon Fire TV owner... With alot of APKs side loaded..
Message 6 of 6 (474 Views)
0 Likes