Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 03 2010
By: insane2103 Wastelander 901 posts

PS3 MEDIA SERVER - LAGGING

3 replies 2378 views Edited Mar 3, 2010

Hi there, I don´t really know why but every time I have installed PS3 MEDIA SERVER and try to watch a movie it starts to lag... It´s like, I´m in the middle of the movie and it goes slow slow and slower, them, like magic, it gets normal again for a few minutes.

I have an AMD TURION x2 1.6 giga notebook, and wirelless lan (54mb), 4 giga of ram as a matter of fact, running NOW windows 7 32 bits, have tried it over win7 64 bits and into windows xp sp3.

Any hints?

Get your Portable ID!

http://ftzclanbrasil.blogspot.com/
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (2,378 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Re: PS3 MEDIA SERVER - LAGGING

Mar 3, 2010

I don't care how fast your internet is, wired is the way to go when streaming media, especially HD content. Get some Cat6 cables and hardwire that bish

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (2,378 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
456 posts

Mar 3, 2010

insane2103 wrote:

Hi there, I don´t really know why but every time I have installed PS3 MEDIA SERVER and try to watch a movie it starts to lag... It´s like, I´m in the middle of the movie and it goes slow slow and slower, them, like magic, it gets normal again for a few minutes.

I have an AMD TURION x2 1.6 giga notebook, and wirelless lan (54mb), 4 giga of ram as a matter of fact, running NOW windows 7 32 bits, have tried it over win7 64 bits and into windows xp sp3.

Any hints?

It depends on the type of files you are streaming and the strength of your network.

Generally, any video using either 420p or 720p can stream over a wireless network, as long as the files are in a native PS3 format (mp4, m2ts, mpeg, etc..). If the files need transcoding (like mkv), then it depends on the strength of your wireless network.

For 1080p, the files must be in a native format (m2ts for best results), and the strength of the wireless network must be very good and even then, it depends on the profile and level of encoding.

Anything above a level 4/4.1 1080p profile will push 50 Mbps, and once tyou include network framing, it will exceed the maximum 54 Mbps that a wireless network can achieve.

If you are trying to stream mkv, re-mux into an m2ts container and you might get better results.

Either that, or use a wired network if you can.

-----------------------------

Friendly beatings available, inquire within!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (2,378 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
901 posts

Mar 4, 2010

Thanks guys, some friends of mine have told me that I should try wire my connection…

And, as a matter of fact, I have numerous types of files, like Divx, Xvid, MKV, RMVB, and English is not my native language so, I use subtitles…

I have tried to convert the movies all to divx, and use AviaddxSub to embed the subtitles but, I cant seem to find a reliable converter, I always lost quality and there´s a lot of work like, I have to convert the movie (takes forever) them I have to add the sub… and, to make things worst, media player wont recognize the embed subs…

To be true, I have used a few converters, burned the movies into a DVD and them tried them over my DVD PLAYER (it´s a Samsung piece of garbage) and the player says “no codec”, I don´t really know how since it has, indeed DIVX capability.

Alextation: I know that internet has nothing to do with my internal lan, but thanks anyway!

zetski210: I can wire, my router is next to the console, I Just prefer wireless, I sort of hoped that it could be done wireless, do you know what I mean?

About the re-mux thing, any converters you might indicate?

Get your Portable ID!

http://ftzclanbrasil.blogspot.com/
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (2,378 Views)
0 Likes