Photobucket
Is now recruiting! PM If interested!
Message 11 of 15 (6 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: NTFS Support

Dec 29, 2008
You say it can't accept files over 4Gb? But how was it possible for me to wirelessly transfer my 1080p, 7Gb Lord of the Rings movies over to my PS3 system and play the moves all fine?
Message 12 of 15 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5541 posts

Dec 29, 2008

Camljockey wrote:
You say it can't accept files over 4Gb? But how was it possible for me to wirelessly transfer my 1080p, 7Gb Lord of the Rings movies over to my PS3 system and play the moves all fine?
S/he said wrong. The file system of the internal hard disk in NOT in FAT32 format (nor NTFS either, sure). Not sure if it uses the Linux ones. FAT32 is only for the external USB hard disks. So the solution for using files bigger than 4GB is easy: copy them into the internl hard disk via a Media Server (slow but it does the job). Since these files usually are video files, once we have a media server we don't even need to copy them. Just play the video streamed from the PC where they're stored. 
For who doesn't know what a media server is check Windows Media Player 11, TVersity, and now a new java one that's pretty cool (even if buggy. But it's a guy project) since it  can transcode uncompatible video formats and even stream internet radios/tvs:
http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ 

----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I'm a Micro$oft hater. It's different.
Message 13 of 15 (6 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 24, 2009

I am wondering, if NTFS would be a payable FS by MS, why the Linux community has their free (no price) and open source NTFS reader and writer ready. I guess Sony could use that Software to build upon. And when they offer this in their store as "free" and publish the source code, there would be no paying I guess...

BUT if that for some reason is not feasible, they should use the EXT2 or better yet the EXT3 or EXT4 file system support. For the EXT2 and EXT3 there are Windows and OSX Software available to read and write on them. And many linux machines use EXT3. And they can hold files bigger than 4GB AND they DO NOT cost anything. I would really need to have that possibility of writing and reading bigger files than 4GB to an external HD.

SO PLEASE SONY... GIVE US A FORMAT SUPPORT FOR THE PLAYSTATION IN THE NEXT UPDATE, THAT ALLOWS FOR AN EXTERNAL HDD TO HOLD FILES OF >4 GB AND IS READABLE BY LINUX, OSX AND WINDOWS...  The technology is there: please use it.

Cheers 

Message 14 of 15 (6 Views)
Fender Bender
3590 posts

Sep 25, 2009

frigid_ghost wrote:
Stupid question, but isnt all Playstations Linux based

No what makes you think the kernel would be Linux?

Message 15 of 15 (6 Views)
0 Likes