Sep 01 2010
By: Qkndrar First Son 3 posts

Media server can't find PS3

11 replies 5976 views Edited Sep 1, 2010

Hello,

So this is the deal. I'm on a Windows 7 ultimate edition wired to my router with a cable. The PS3 is on the wireless connection. My modem is a router/modem by Cisco.

I can't find the PS3 from my computer with ANY program. I've tried TVersity, PS3MediaServer, PlayOn and WMP12. NOTHING works.

I've disabled my avast antivirus, disabled the firewall. Even allowed the programs and media servers for the programs in the firewall.

I have no personal firewall like Norton's.

I've enabled all SSDP services (UPnP, Media center extender service...). Also enabled the service Windows Media Player Networking Share Service. Enabled UPnP setting in router. Also tried with no UPnP. Allowed and not allowed multicast in router...

I even tried to set a static IP for the PS3 but it still can't find it from my Windows7!!

I've forwarded ports. Forced this computer as server with this local IP 192.168.0.17.. And it still doesn't work!!?
Is there any special setting for W7 that i'm not aware of. I've been looking all over internet and tried everything with no success.

I installed the PS3MediaServer on my laptop downstairs which is also over WIFI as the PS3 and the program finds it fast from there.

Anyone have ANY idea of what to do?

Message 1 of 12 (5,976 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
210 posts

Re: Media server can't find PS3

Sep 2, 2010

I have the same problem can't find Media server thats with XBL as well!.. Very annoying..Thank for nothing Sony and Microsoft!.. =(

Message 2 of 12 (5,976 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Sep 2, 2010
try winamp orb/remote
First gen 60 (Proudly runing 500gb and the worst firmware PERIOD)
Message 3 of 12 (5,976 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Sep 2, 2010

Hi.

I too have win7 and have recently setup my media streaming through it. So I'll tell u how to as well.

Open your windows media player> you will see a bar close to the top with a button "Stream". Click that.

Now check the 2nd and third option, giving any necessary authorisation.

Now Click> "More streaming options" from the same menu.

Now click> "Allow all"

and from the dropdown box below it, select> "Allowed"

This should do the trick :smileyvery-happy: 

Message 4 of 12 (5,976 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Sep 2, 2010

OK first of all thx for everyone taking their time to read this post.

I've tried to set it up via the WMP12 streaming option also as you said but it can't find the PS3 anyways.

It's weird it works with the other computer that's running Vista over WIFI with firewall enabled letting the media servers through..

Anyone else having problem finding the PS3 from W7?

EDIT: Installed the PS3MediaServer and turned off the firewall + enabled the services needed on 2 more computers in my network that are connected to the modem with a cable and those can't either find the PS3.

So the only computer that can find the PS3 is the one over WIFI. And my PS3 is also over WIFI.... Weird?!?!

Message 5 of 12 (5,976 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Sep 2, 2010

Qkndrar wrote:

OK first of all thx for everyone taking their time to read this post.

I've tried to set it up via the WMP12 streaming option also as you said but it can't find the PS3 anyways.

It's weird it works with the other computer that's running Vista over WIFI with firewall enabled letting the media servers through..

Anyone else having problem finding the PS3 from W7?

EDIT: Installed the PS3MediaServer and turned off the firewall + enabled the services needed on 2 more computers in my network that are connected to the modem with a cable and those can't either find the PS3.

So the only computer that can find the PS3 is the one over WIFI. And my PS3 is also over WIFI.... Weird?!?!

Sounds like a router setting needs to be changed.

Message 6 of 12 (5,976 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Sep 3, 2010

make sure you ports are open on the router for the ps3

First gen 60 (Proudly runing 500gb and the worst firmware PERIOD)
Message 7 of 12 (5,976 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Sep 3, 2010

Hey.

Check out the thing i told u.

I have a old seimens gigaset and it streams pretty well without any need of port forwarding. Just try it once.

Message 8 of 12 (5,976 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3171 posts

Sep 3, 2010

sometimes for me i will need to first start the media center the turn the ps3 on for it to recongize it

Drago
Message 9 of 12 (5,976 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Sep 6, 2010

Hmm.. What ports needs to be forwarded for the PS3? I've forwarded ports for this computer that's running the MediaServer and that doesn't help..

It's like my devices connected via WIFI can't connect to a PC that's wired to the router.. I've tried to set PS3 as DMZ with static IP but no connection.

BTW i use the Cisco EPC2425 modem with built in router. I've read about other people that have got the same problem with that exact router..

Message 10 of 12 (5,976 Views)
0 Likes