Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 11 2008
By: Four-Forty Lombax Warrior 228 posts

Media Server Not Refreshing Contents.

11 replies 13528 views Edited Oct 11, 2008

So, I have my laptop set up as a media server for my PS3. i have the videos/music/image folders on my Vista laptop available as a media server. i have recently added new files/folders to the shared "my videos" folder on my laptop, but try as i might, i can't get those new files/folders visible to my PS3.

I have tried disabling media servers on my ps3, re-searching for them on the PS3, restarting my ps3/laptop, etc. 

what do i need to do to get my ps3 to see the new files i've added on my laptop? it sees the stuff i've had for awhile. but nothing i've added in the last few days.

any ideas?

thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (13,528 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
540 posts

Re: Media Server Not Refreshing Contents.

Oct 11, 2008
Hit the refresh button?

KillZone 2 is fairly ok, not Great though. IMO
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (13,528 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2427 posts

Oct 11, 2008
Sounds like your media server doesn't know that changes were made to those directories. Make sure that your media server knows that those changes were made.

Want to learn more about Linux on the PS3 - Linux 101 - got questions? we got answers!
Want to use Flash in Linux on your PS3 - Flash in Linux
Need help burning an ISO to a disk - here's help

PSN: cancech
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (13,528 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
228 posts

Oct 12, 2008
Any advice on how to do that?
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (13,528 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2427 posts

Oct 12, 2008
That's really going to depend on what media server you're using. One thing you can try is to remove the folders that are being shared, and re-add them.

Want to learn more about Linux on the PS3 - Linux 101 - got questions? we got answers!
Want to use Flash in Linux on your PS3 - Flash in Linux
Need help burning an ISO to a disk - here's help

PSN: cancech
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (13,528 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
259 posts

Oct 13, 2008
What media server are you using? TVersity has a refresh button to update server.
Warhawk
Little Big Planet
NFS: Pro Street
Rock Band
Burnout Paradise
Motorstorm
Dirt
NFS: Carbon
RFOM
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (13,528 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Oct 13, 2008

Ya TVersity works great, but you have to understand that your computer has something to do with it too.  If your computer is low end then it takes awhile for data to from the computer to the PS3 and vice versa.  If you are running wireless that has some affect.  Just depends on your set up

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (13,528 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
228 posts

Oct 13, 2008

Im just using the basic media center built into the PS3.

On vista, it has a "Media Sharing" option built right in. simply tell it to share your Video/Pics/Music folders in your documents and they will be shared.

So, anything in my "My Documents ... /Videos" should show up in the PS3's media server. yet, it doesn't seem to like to refresh folders. 

I've tried removing all files from my videos folder, and they no longer showed up on my ps3. so i put them back, and now it wont even noticed i've put it back. I've tried disabling Media server on the ps3, turned it off, re-enabled media server in the hopes that would find the folders. but it isnt working. 

Im not using any third party programs. just the media sharing options in vista and the ps3. it works, but it wont refresh to show newly added content. 

my system is a high-end laptop connected via ethernet connection to a router that is also connected to the ps3. so speeds/performance are not an issue. 

im not sure how to rememdy this situation.

thanks for the help in advance.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (13,528 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Oct 13, 2008
on your vista laptop, try opening windows media player, press the ALT key on your keyboard, click tools, options, library, monitor folders, remove the video folder files are shared in, then add it once again and let it re-search the files....then turn on your ps3, goto video in XMB, and search for new media servers, it should find 1 (or more depending on your network) and then try seeing if it updated the library, that always works for me
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (13,528 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
228 posts

Oct 13, 2008

Wow, that worked amazingly.  thanks for the on-the-spot advice.

Thank You Very Much.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (13,528 Views)
0 Likes