Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 19 2009
By: riceroni First Son 16 posts

Media Server Error: A network error has occurred. (00000000)

17 replies 28010 views Edited Mar 19, 2009
What does this mean? I go to Playon and try and stream movies from either Netflix or Hulu and I get "Media Server Error: A network error has occurred. (00000000)" It shows me everything that's in my que but it will never play it. PLEASE HELP!!! I have no problem at all playing the files that are on my PC local drive.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 18 (28,010 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2561 posts

Re: Media Server Error: A network error has occurred. (00000000)

Mar 20, 2009
do you leave your computer on when youre streaming movies to your ps3?  i know it's a stupid question to ask but your comp has to be on in order to stream movies.  i have no problems streaming movies from my comp to my ps3...or better yet through your windows media player, did you sync your ps3 to your computer?
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 18 (28,010 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Mar 20, 2009
I never manually synced my PS3 to my computer. When I turned my PS3 on and saw my computer there and then saw the PlayOn media server there I thought it automatically synced itself. How do I go about doing it?
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 18 (28,010 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2561 posts

Mar 20, 2009
if you have the latest version of windows media player all you have to do is click on your library tab and then click on media sharing...you'll then see an icon in the box that says "unknown device"...click on allow and your ps3 should be synced up to your computer...at least thats the way i did it and i don't have any problems at all watching movies from my computer via my ps3.
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 18 (28,010 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Sep 24, 2010

I know this post hasn't seen any action in a while, but I've SOLVED IT!!  I'd been trying to solve this problem for a couple of days, thought it might be a wireless issue so ended up buying a new crossover cable and spending a long time trying to work out how to connect the PS3 to the PC that way (more complicated than it should be).  Once I got that hooked up it still didn't work so I phoned the PS support line and spoke to some bint who didn't know what she was talking about (I actually had to explain what ethernet was - "what, so there's actually a wire going from the PS3 to PC? That's weird" - WHAT??!?!?). She left me with this helpful little morale booster - "It could be a few things, try lots of things and see if one of them works."

But none of that matters!!  Turns out it's a firewall issue to do with the WMP file sharing feature.

Here's what you need to do:

control panel > windows firewall > allow a program or feature through windows firewall > change settings > windows media player network sharing service (you want both the private and public boxes ticked) and  windows media player network sharing service(internet)  here you want just the private box ticked.

Click on OK and if you had the same problem I had, you won't have it anymore!  Woo!

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 18 (28,010 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Oct 15, 2010

i got this problem today how do i fix it with useing windows vista & i looked at was said in the message before me about the firewall & i looked at that & it says this: check mark in a box that says windows media player & check mark in a box that says windows media player network sharing service & also does it matter if the firewall is turned off

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 18 (28,010 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 25, 2010

i have tried everything to solve this error and nothing works.  Ticking and unticking boxes. Turning off my firewall.  Resetting defaults and starting again.  HELP!  Everything used to stream perfect through windows 7 (wmp 12), then suddenly stopped.  The old videos that I used to play still work, but anything new I download gets the media server error (0000000).

HELP PLEASE!

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 18 (28,010 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 5, 2010

For anyone who may come accross this problem.... I solved it.

You have to ensure that the folder that contains the media to be shared is configured for sharing on your network.

Right click the folder containing the media you want to share and select properties.

Click on the "Sharing" tab.

Click the "Share" button.

In the drop-down box click on the arrow.

Select "Everyone"

Click the "Share" button on the bottom.

Your PS3 should now have access to all of the files contained in that folder.

Good luck!

If this helped you... send an email to brandonv.gillis@gmail.com    letting me know...... I will probably never look at this board again but I still would like to know if it helped someone.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 18 (28,010 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 15, 2010

I've been tearing my hair out over this too.  I found something interesting... My PS3 sees the whole windows streaming thing, i can set permissions on what to stream, like 5 rating items and such, but would not play!!!!  Turns out it was a Windows User Permission issue!!!

How I solved it:

Created a folder that I am now saving my videos into that I wish to share to my PS3.

Right Clicked on the folder, chose, Proporties, Security, Edit, under Group or user names: Add, Enter the object names to select: I typed in "everyone" and clicked Check Names. "everyone" changed to "Everyone"  (This folder is not dirrectly shared over any network) I made sure default options were only Read & execute, List Folder contents, Read. clicked OK, and OK.

This worked for me.  And I'm alright with it.  Not sure if there is another way around this, maybe there is a way to add into windows my PS3 as a Group or User and just add read and write permissions to it, dont care too much just happy to have sorted it out in under an hour. 

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 18 (28,010 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 15, 2010
wow, late. spell check fail
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 18 (28,010 Views)
0 Likes