Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 26 2007
By: DrBucksworth~ First Son 3 posts

How to Share Media (all steps)

15 replies 25 views Edited Oct 26, 2007
   I, like many others, had the issue of my PC (HP Pavilion a1240n, w/WMP 11, Netgear WPN824 wireless router) not being able to see my PS3 under the Library - Share Media’ function of WMP 11; nor could my PS3 see my PC using the ‘Search for Media Server’ function.  I also found the post that said that I needed to go to Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services and change my SSDP Discovery Service to “Automatic” but I could not because I got an “Access Denied” error even though I was logged in as the Administrator of my PC.

After spending over 3 days poring over various posts in this forum and others, I’ve culled together what it took this Noob (me) to get his Media Sharing working, and it’s pretty well worth it  -  frustrating to figure out, yes - but if you follow the steps detailed here hopefully it will work for you too. (Apologies for the length, but I hope this is for the greater good.  Again, this is what worked for me because none of the previous solutions worked in and of themselves.  I’ve seen posts from people that had a much easier time resolving their issue, but I digress.)

Special props to Rick at techspot.com, and revo77 and Askanison01 on the PS3 boards  whose posts I’ve elaborated upon below.

PART 1 (This step may be optional, but good to do a quick cleanup of your C drive regardless.  According to a post by Rick on techspot.com, my administration issue may have been due to hard disk corruption.)

1) Go to Start  - My Computer  - and right click on C drive icon.  Go to Properties - Tools tab  - under the first box “Error Checking” click “Check Now”
2) Click on both of the boxes: one is “Automatically Fix...” and the other “Scan for and Attempt…”.
3) Once you hit start you’ll get a window saying something about running this during a restart and you will want to go ahead and do this.  Grab a beverage and because it will take about 15-20 mins for it to run.  You will see it go through phases 1-5 until it’s complete.  Your PC will then boot up as usual and you’ll see your usual desktop.
4)  Next, go back to Start - My Computer  -  and right click on C drive icon.  Go to Properties  - Tools tab  - under the second box click “Defragment Now” which will bring up a new window.  Highlight the C drive and click “Defragment” at the bottom.  This could also take 15-20 mins.  Better refill that beverage.

Now you’re ready for PART 2.

PART #2 (You may need to take ownership of the Services folder under Administrative Tools in order to make changes to the SSDP Directory Service, Universal Plug and Play Device Host, and Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service so that you’re not denied access as I was.)
1) To take ownership of this folder click Start
-  Control Panel  -  Administrative Tools à Services. Right-click this folder and then click Properties.
2) Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

3)Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

4)  In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
5)  Click OK. The following message appears, where folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of:
“You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?”
All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
6)  Click Yes.
7)  Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.
8)  Log off as Administrator and reboot the PC and let it start back up in Normal mode.

If you need further reference about this step, here’s the Microsoft link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

PART #3  (Originally posted by revo77 but you’ll need to do Part #2 above if you are denied access as I was.)

1) Start -  Control Panel  -  Administrative Tools  -  and double-click Services.
2)Check these 3 services (it's A MUST if you want to detect your device - PS3).
    a) SSDP Discovery Service <<<<< Start this one first Make and make it Automatic (right click properties).
    b) Universal Plug and Play Device Host << then this one same as one above
    c) Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service <<< then this one...

Part #4   (Thanks to Askanison01 who brought me down the home stretch with this post.)

“Here is what I had to do with my set up.  Some of this was necessary as my External Western Digital HDD is FAT32 at the moment, and without doing the below, the PS3 wouldn't see the content stored on my FAT32 drive.  NTFS drives were fine, just not other HDD formats.

BASICS :

1.  Ensure my firewall is set up properly.
2.  Ensure my PS3 and Computer are within the same IP address range and subnet mask, so they can talk to one another.  In other words allowing my computer and PS3, to obtain it's information from my DHCP (Firewall router).
3.  Ensure any software firewall, has the necessary changes to allow Windows Media Player to communicate out for UPnP.  If you use Windows Firewall and enable sharing for WMP, WMP will make the necessary changes to Windows Firewall.  If you use another 3rd party Firewall, like I do, McAfee, you will probably need to go in to that software and add the right stuff, such as Programs that can communicate out on the network or trusted IP's, etc.

On my PS3:
1.  Disable Media Server Connection on the PS3.

On your PC, in Windows Media Player:
ENSURE YOU HAVE ALL THE NECCESARY PLUG-INS AND CODECS FOR WMP TO VIEW ALL TYPES OF MEDIA, LIKE AVI, QUICKTIME, ETC.

1.  Install Windows Media Player (unless it's installed already).
2.  In services.msc or "Computer Management", Change the account that Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service uses.  Changed it to "Local System account", but leave "Allow service to interact with desktop" UNCHECKED.  Restart this service.  This was neccesary to be able to add folders from my FAT32 External Western Digital HDD.
3.  Click on Options
4.  Click on Library
5.  Click on Configure Sharing and then check mark "Share my media to:
6.  Click on Settings
7.  Put in something you want for share media as, and leave the default settings.
8.  DO NOT click the "Allow new devices and computers automatically".  Check marking this wil allow everything to connect without you knowing and approving.
9.  Click on OK to get back to the main properties screen.
10.  Click the "Monitor Folders" button.
11.  Once that is up, depending upon how you have your computer set up, and how many user profiles you have choose your options.
12.  For me, since all my media is in different places other than my profile in "Documents and Settings", I did an add and ADDED the folders I wanted to add to the library.
13.  Let WMP build the library up, and let it completely finish.

14.  Click OK on everything til you get back to WMP.
15.  Verify your library.

On your PS3:

1.  Enable Media Server Connection on the PS3.

On your PC:
1.  Once you sit down, you might have a pop up, if you left WMP running, to allow an unknown device access.  You can verify your PS3 by checking the MAC address.  WMP does not support the PS3 yet, so it will be seen as an unknown device.

If NOT......

1.  Click on Options
     2.  Click on Library
     3.  Click on Configure Sharing and if things worked properly, you should see an "Unknown Device" Icon.

4.  Highlight the Icon and do "allow", and do what ever else you feel necessary, such as customize, or right click the Icon for additional properties.

On your PS3:
2.  Go to each Media choice in the XMB (Pictures, Music, Video), and under each do a "Search for a Media Server."
3.  Once it has found a Media Server for each choice, you should then be able to see your PC show up with the funky "Windows ICON" and the name of the WMP share you created.

Should be able to take it from there. 

I used the above steps, and my PS3 is now getting tons of content from my PC.  WIth the exception of a few formats, such as AVI and Quicktime.  Some of my choices above were to ensure that my computer is still locked down and secure.  If you choose certain settings, you'll just open up your computer to vulnerabilities.  If anyone has any other kewl choices or changes, I would love to know.”

So, there you have it.  Hopefully this helps others from hours of searching and finding solutions piecemeal like I did.  Much love to the Boards. Peace.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 16 (25 Views)
First Son
32 posts

Re: How to Share Media (all steps)

Oct 27, 2007
wow......you're a noob?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 16 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Oct 27, 2007
that doesn't mean he's a noob.  he could have an account with 1000 posts, but he made this one up.  who knows.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 16 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12748 posts

Oct 27, 2007

jmadizm wrote:
wow......you're a noob?

How is he a noob?
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 16 (25 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Nov 30, 2007
Thank you very much for putting all this information together like this, you are a lifesaver.  Ill be trying this when I get hokme in a couple hours, maybe I can get the damn thing to work now...

Props to you DrBucksworth and also much love to revo77 and Askanison01 for figuring this crap out.  Also thanks to cozdiver, who tried to help me and another wayard PS3 owner in a different thread by referring us to this one.

should be stickied.

Message Edited by Sephiroth151 on 11-30-2007 10:44 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 16 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2624 posts

Feb 23, 2008

polishpride212 wrote:

jmadizm wrote:
wow......you're a noob?

How is he a noob?

If you would've actually read it, you would have seen that he accused himself of being a n00b.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 16 (25 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Feb 25, 2008
Drbucksworth;

How do i do this:

"Ensure my PS3 and Computer are within the same IP address range and subnet mask, so they can talk to one another.  In other words allowing my computer and PS3, to obtain it's information from my DHCP (Firewall router)."

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 16 (25 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Feb 25, 2008
?

Message Edited by tjlmbklr on 02-24-2008 04:45 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 16 (25 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Feb 25, 2008
    "Click on Configure Sharing and if things worked properly, you should see an "Unknown Device" Icon."

This is the issue i have i never see this icon no matter what I do. I did decide to run it via my PC running XP and no problem what's so ever there the icon is...............???????????

What the heck man!

Message Edited by tjlmbklr on 02-24-2008 06:39 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 16 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
68 posts

Feb 25, 2008

jmadizm wrote:
wow......you're a noob?

Noob as in his # of posts, but what he posted is PURE tier2 troubleshooting!

Very nice work.

tjlmbklr; what WinXP version are you running? SP1/2/3?

goto Run: type : winver.exe  , and hit enter. Check  the version. you SHOULD  see media sharing in the line you posted.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 16 (25 Views)
0 Likes